09 Mercury Grand Marqyus fix or dump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
96k miles needs a/c blend door and LIM gasket starting to weep. I want to fix, wife wants new car. Have had no issues except one 02 sensor, evap canister, and steering recall. What do you think?

Originally Posted by John_K
96k miles needs a/c blend door and LIM gasket starting to weep. I want to fix, wife wants new car. Have had no issues except one 02 sensor, evap canister, and steering recall. What do you think?

Tough choice - wife usually wins. If possible, just get her the [...] new car and keep the Mercury as your weekend project. Good luck
lol.gif

What is the point of asking us?

Wife wants new car, 25 random guys/gals on the internet think you should keep it.....

Are you selling tickets to that discussion; it "could" pay for a new car.... j/k

It all depends on how, for lack of a better term, "reasonable" you wife can be (aka how aligned her financial habits are with yours)

Last edited:
Few minor repairs and that the Mercury will last a few more years. But if the wife has her sights on a new car you might as well bite the bullet if the money's right.

I would dump the old clunker and buy something nice for the wife if I were you. And get rid of at least 100 gallons of that motor oil too.

In our family financial discussions, we talk them over. If we don't agree, we pray about it for a few days. Then we talk again.
We never rush big financial decisions as our goal is to reach an agreement. If we can't reach an agreement, my wife lets me
make the final decision. Trust me, I am very aware to not abuse my authority. This has worked for us for over 30 years.

I can't promise the same results for others
05.gif

Should you get a new car, IDK? I'm all for repairing a good car and it seems this car has been very good to you.
Might be a good idea to follow OIlReport99's advice.

You have literally the most reliable car ever made. Fix the intake gasket, put a new intake while you're at it, and it'll last another 200k miles.

I would think she'd be a little more upset at the 459 quarts of motor oil you have lying around in the house.
lol.gif

But I digress…It really depends on your financial situation; if everything is solid and it would not be a burden, why not buy a new vehicle for your wife to drive while you keep the Mercury?

Obviously I'm of the mind that you should repair it… That thing is good for 250-300K easy.

Originally Posted by dogememe
You have literally the most reliable car ever made. Fix the intake gasket, put a new intake while you're at it, and it'll last another 200k miles.

+10
I was at the Miami Airport two weeks ago, and saw all those old Crown Vics Taxi Cabs running as smooth as any other car... If I weren't fixing my 07 Impala, I'd buy one just to have a second ride.

Originally Posted by John_K
I want to fix, wife wants new car.

Everything else is blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ..........

Sell the Hundy and 350 quarts of oil ,you drive the CV and let wife pick her car.

I would tell MY wife to fix my dinner and forget a new car because I'm fixing the G.M.

Originally Posted by dogememe

Yeah, it's the most reliable car that's also broken. Lol...

Why does she want a new car? Might she want something different? Has she been driving the same car for 10 years and is now bored? Does it fit into parking spaces and is easy for her to drive? fits all her stuff and gets the mpg she wants?

For many years, town cars were used by the livery crowd. They kept them going, most well over 400,000 miles before they were scrapped. There were a bunch of repair shops competing with each other for the livery business that specialized in these cars, and fixed them at a very modest cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back