2017 5.0 V8 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't posted in a long time and I actually feel a bit ashamed that I can't seem to make my mind up on this so I could use a sounding board. I bought a 2017 F150 5.0 SCrew new and have had it long enough to accumulate 18k miles. I currently am away from home for work stuck in a hotel now going into week 3 and I guess it has given me some time to think. I have never looked at the oil life monitor on my truck until today. It's at 57% with just over 4K miles on the oil. Dealer does the oil changes since I work for the railroad these days and I just don't have lots of spare time or any want to change it myself these days. It's getting Motorcraft 5w20 according to my receipts and they always mark the windshield for 5k oil changes and I've always changed it in the 4.5k-5k range depending on if I didn't think I had time to get it changed without going way over 5k. I noticed last time that they marked it for 4K. I don't know if that was intentional or not. I'll put another 1k on it before returning home on this OCI unless I have it changed by the dealer where I'm staying. I don't know if these engines have had any fuel dilution issues and I can't seem to find useful info, just the usual arguing online about super short 3k-4k OCIs. Ford says to follow the OLM which I don't see a problem with, but I figured someone might know more here.

To add I believe this is still a multi port injected engine so DI fuel dilution should not be a concern.

Last edited:
4K mile oil changes make more money for the dealership than 10K oil changes. I change mine closer to 10K. I haven't heard of fuel dilution issues.

Yeah I couldn't find anything on dilution and it wasn't until I started searching around that I discovered this wasn't a direct injection engine. I've always been very involved in the specifications of my vehicles and for some reason I've never delved that deep into this one. I think that may have answered my question right there with the fuel system design.

Are your oil changes included in the purchase of the truck for a certain amount of time or are you paying out of pocket ?

My local Ford puts the sticker for 8000km, 5000mi, regardless of vehicle. Ford fusion...8000, f150.....8000, f350 diesel.....8000.

On my F-150 5.0 the oil monitor would go 8,000 to 10,000 miles on a cycle. The cool thing about that truck is it allowed the oil monitor to be reset to any percentage. So, you don't have to reset it to 100%. I often reset mine to 70% and used that for an oil cycle instead. 5,000 to 6,000 miles on oil makes me feel a little better.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Are your oil changes included in the purchase of the truck for a certain amount of time or are you paying out of pocket ?

Out of pocket. Only runs about $45. It's starting to get mostly highway miles recently. Interestingly enough I just found out Ford has been trying to stop dealers putting a mileage sticker on windshields for oil changes instead of following the OLM.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Isn't this the engine that Ford is recalling due to excessive oil consumption? Or is that just the 2018's?

I haven't had a recall for it and I've never seen the level drop on the stick.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Isn't this the engine that Ford is recalling due to excessive oil consumption? Or is that just the 2018's?

I'll finally be starting to change my own oil on this one soon. I miss doing it myself. I'm up to 28k and so far have stuck to 5k oil changes knowing it's overkill. My plan is Pennzoil Ultra in 5w20 to the full life of the oil monitor I did the Edge last time with Motorcraft 5w20 and I have nothing against it, but I always used Pennzoil towards the end in my Jaguar.

Awesome! Your 5.0 has a 7.7 Quart oil capacity and Port Injection. You can run it to the limit of the oil life monitor without concern. Use a high quality full synthetic oil and don't look back.

Originally Posted by Razorsharpe
Awesome! Your 5.0 has a 7.7 Quart oil capacity and Port Injection. You can run it to the limit of the oil life monitor without concern. Use a high quality full synthetic oil and don't look back.

I agree with this assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back