Next 504/507 oil change

I have used the factory Casstrol, Red Line, Ravenol and now this. Looks like good bang for the lowest buck I could find. Not a bunch of info but they claim to meet the specification. 10k mile/ one year interval due next spring on both my TDI's. What do the deep thinkers/bargain hunters think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIAX-EURO-ULTRA-VX-5W-30-LONGLIFE-III-VW-507-504-BMW-LL04-MB229-51-12-QUART/263923072167?hash=item3d730a7ca7:g:giUAAOSwjkxbkn2f

Last edited:
Well it certainly does not have the Mercedes-Benz approval listed, and I highly doubt it has the other ones either. It is not listed on the Audi approved oil list for any of the listed VW approvals (can it even have all of those at once)?

Your car, but it is highly doubtful it has any of the approvals on that label. Triax has been noted before for their deceptive labeling on this board and this looks like quite a doozy.

I have used TRIAX products in the past with no issues. That being said, they are pretty cheeky when it comes down to wording of them having actual approvals and not their stated "Meets" or "Exceeds" specifications language.

well, on the bottle it claims to meet 504/507 AND 502/505. Is that even possible? If so, I think this is the only oil that claims to meet it.

I've gotten Mobil1 ESP 5W30 at Napa for $5.99 on sale. If you're feeling adventurous, you could use PP Euro L 5W30. It meets BMW LL04 but doesn't have the VW approval. Then again, I wonder if this stuff does as well, or if it's just "recommend for"...

Wording games nowhere does it actually say it has any of those approvals, just claims to meet or exceed them. Right. PQIA would likely have a field day with this stuff.

Looking at the specifications of the VX 5W-30 shows that it has an HT/HS of 3.35 which is neither compliant with VW 504/507 OR VW 502/505. This company is just printing the alphabet on their labels and throwing it out there to see who bites.

Based on principle alone, I'd leave it on the shelf.

I have used the factory Casstrol, Red Line, Ravenol and now this. Looks like good bang for the lowest buck I could find. Not a bunch of info but they claim to meet the specification. 10k mile/ one year interval due next spring on both my TDI's. What do the deep thinkers/bargain hunters think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIAX-EURO-ULTRA-VX-5W-30-LONGLIFE-III-VW-507-504-BMW-LL04-MB229-51-12-QUART/263923072167?hash=item3d730a7ca7:g:giUAAOSwjkxbkn2f
Go back to Castrol or Ravenol and repent. 🤣

Back