Pop Quiz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While i expect more out of the BITOG crowd, it is amazing how clueless (and dangerous) your typical driver is. (I believe the only car that has the right of way is #2 as through traffic, both the other 2 must yield..then it's #3 than lastly #1 which is entering that flow of traffic and should be yielding to all cross traffic I believe)
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
crackmeup2.gif
good one.

Yeah L turns must yield, assuming all 3 got there at the same time. Because number 2 does not have a yield sign, but rather some informational sign that is upside down from what a yield sign would be.

So 2, then 3, then 1. That said I will let the others go...

Originally Posted by JLTD
crackmeup2.gif
good one.

Yeah L turns must yield, assuming all 3 got there at the same time. Because number 2 does not have a yield sign, but rather some informational sign that is upside down from what a yield sign would be.

Intersections like that sometimes scare me/give me reason to approach carefully...not knowing if the other drivers understand right of way rules and all. Ya can easily t-bone driver #1 or #3 if they don't.

Last edited:
crackmeup2.gif
good one.

This. But usually it would be bad design to have 2 yield signs. Car 1's positon would be better suited to a stop sign, and no yield sign for car 2. Car 3 always would yield to car 2 as a left turn.

Last edited:
When visiting my daughter near Bloomington Illinois I found the numerous multi lane 4 way stops (No lights) a bit unnerving. Three lanes from each direction (2 & left turn) can result many cars coming to a stop at the same time.

This is the closest image I could find, except there would be 3 lanes in all directions:
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

^ Nor I any intersection where car #1 wouldn't have either a stop sign or stop light, but even if there was no sign at all, #1 would always have to yield to the others because it is entering onto that road.

Vehicle #2 should not have any yield or stop sign. If one were present it should be removed because as already stated above, it is the only vehicle that shouldn't have to yield to the others.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
I have never seen an intersection where through traffic had to yield to vehicles waiting to turn left/right.

Any uncontrolled (no signs) T-intersection follows that the person on the right has the right of way. If there were no signs in the original picture, 2 would yield to 1 who would yield to 3.

There are no stop signs.

Car #1 has a posted yield sign so he goes last.
Car #3 is turning left across traffic so he must yield.
Therefore, car #2 proceeds through the intersection first.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
I have never seen an intersection where through traffic had to yield to vehicles waiting to turn left/right.

Any uncontrolled (no signs) T-intersection follows that the person on the right has the right of way. If there were no signs in the original picture, 2 would yield to 1 who would yield to 3.

Wrong, there is no situation where #2 yields. Through traffic NEVER yields - ever. (barring of course to avoid an accident). It's unsafe to do so. Vehicles crossing a center line must ALWAYS yield to through traffic.

Originally Posted by Imp4
There are no stop signs.
Car #1 has a posted yield sign so he goes last.
Car #3 is turning left across traffic so he must yield.
Therefore, car #2 proceeds through the intersection first.

+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
crackmeup2.gif
good one.

Intersections like that sometimes scare me/give me reason to approach carefully...not knowing if the other drivers understand right of way rules and all. Ya can easily t-bone driver #1 or #3 if they don't.

It is scary, every morning I go through four residential intersections that are not marked and no one but me seems to know how this works. Makes me want to go to the DMV and grab a bunch of manuals and start passing them out.

Should be anyone going Right,then straight,and left being last. Let courtesy be your guide. Never trust drivers turn indicator,watch the wheels instead.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Should be anyone going Right,then straight,and left being last. Let courtesy be your guide. Never trust drivers turn indicator,watch the wheels instead.

^^^
This. Especially, if you're in Florida
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Marco620

Huh?.. "anyone going right, then"??..courtesy be your guide?.. and what vehicle in the above graphic is turning right? How do you "watch the wheels" if you're zipping through an intersection at 35 or more mph? Do you realize how many feet you travel in just 1 second at that or greater speed? Defensive driving is safe driving and you can attempt to anticipate the actions of others but your eyes should always be on the road ahead of you, not scanning around looking for how other cars tires are pointed or how hot the girl in car #3 was or the lovely fall foliage. This is not rocket science people...

*facepalm*

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
2--3-1 in that order.

+1.. you passed!ðŸ‘

Traffic that has no traffic control, car's #2 and 3, always have right of way. You can not enter that flow of traffic until all other traffic in that flow have completed their turns (car #3) or have passed through the intersection (car #2). Try pulling out in front of a turning cop (car 3) and see what happens...🤣

The yield sign for car #1 looks like an error; it should be a stop sign.

Today I went through an intersection similar to that, in which #1 and #2 have stop signs, so #3 has right-of-way. The only difference is the angle is not a right angle, but a lesser angle for #3 to turn through.

My former first-grade teacher was badly injured in a wreck at a stupidly redesigned "T" intersection that had formerly been logically signed when all the roads were rural county roads. That is, there was once a stop sign on the road occupied by car #1, and no sign on the others. Then the state (Kentucky) decided to designate that road and the road occupied by #2 as a single state highway, eliminated the stop sign for car #1, rounded the corner slightly so car #1 won't have to slow down too much, and added a stop sign for #3. Just as my ex-teacher, in her car #1 (a Vibe), started around the left curve, vehicle #2 attempted to cruise straight through the intersection. Of course they crashed, although neither driver disobeyed a sign or did anything illegal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
The yield sign for car #1 looks like an error; it should be a stop sign.

Today I went through an intersection similar to that, in which #1 and #2 have stop signs, so #3 has right-of-way. The only difference is the angle is not a right angle, but a lesser angle for #3 to turn through.

My former first-grade teacher was badly injured in a wreck at a stupidly redesigned "T" intersection that had formerly been logically signed when all the roads were rural county roads. That is, there was once a stop sign on the road occupied by car #1, and no sign on the others. Then the state (Kentucky) decided to designate that road and the road occupied by #2 as a single state highway, eliminated the stop sign for car #1, rounded the corner slightly so car #1 won't have to slow down too much, and added a stop sign for #3. Just as my ex-teacher, in her car #1 (a Vibe), started around the left curve, vehicle #2 attempted to cruise straight through the intersection. Of course they crashed, although neither driver disobeyed a sign or did anything illegal.

Yeah, it was pointed out that #1 has a silly sign but even if there were no sign it has to yield, but good catch.

Sorry about your former teacher. I live in a rural area and many of the roads have no traffic control signs. In that case you have to approach carefully and just abide by the right of way rules..but I do agree with the previous poster in this regard, just because you may have the right of way don't take for granted the ability for other drivers to do something stupid.

What sign does #2 have? It doesn't look like a yield sign but I can't tell what it is.

I don't get why it's signed the way that is, #1 should have a stop and #2 should have no sign. Then it's a standard T intersection.

Originally Posted by supton
What sign does #2 have? It doesn't look like a yield sign but I can't tell what it is.

I don't get why it's signed the way that is, #1 should have a stop and #2 should have no sign. Then it's a standard T intersection.

I agree, 2# should have a stop sign. I'm not sure what sign 1# has, in Nebraska I don't believe we have any signs with a triangle in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back