"We only recheck lug nut torque if you have over 100,000 miles"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mclasser
I had my tires rotated at a local shop. The guy said to come back in the standard 100 miles to have the lugs retorqued. I always do my own torque check at home but I was driving by the shop a week later and thought I'd have them just do it. Another guy was at the counter and he said they only recheck torque on older cars over 100,000 miles (my Elantra only has 20k). He asked if the tech found a problem when I came in for the rotation, to which I replied no. I started getting tired of the guy's face, said thanks and left.

I've never heard of torque rechecks only being applicable to 100k mile cars. I thought it was common practice on any car with alloy/aluminum rims. Anyone else ever come across such a thing before?

My alloys always get re-torqued after a day. That includes several hot/cold sessions. Sometimes I get more, sometimes not. I tend to ignore service people unless they get paid a reasonable wage. You usually don't get something for nothing.

Originally Posted by JohnG
You took your prized Benz to a little hole in the wall you knew nothing about and expected them to do a professional job?

So far, these guys were the best I have found around here. I prefer to go to the little places because I can keep an eye on things while they work, and provide guidance if needed.
I could have taken it to Mercedes, which would cost who knows how much, they'd likely find something else it "needed". And you can't get within 50 feet of the work bay.

So, yeah, were not talking rocket surgery here.

IMHO you handled that perfectly. I'd rather have a shop that needs to learn and can, then one that thinks they know it all, and tries to baffle me with their BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back