2011 Silverado red or orange dex cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dex cool appears to be red in the purge tank but the dex cool my wife's 2016 Fusion takes looks orange. Can I use the orange dex cool in the Chevy? Thanks.

A lot of it depends on the plastic used in the coolant tank. Dexcool looks orange in the blue jug, but I swear it looks red when poured into the plastic tank. Also, it looks bronze when in my plastic coolant tester. It's all the same stuff. I'll try dig up some photos. I'm talking about GM and Prestone Dexcool. If Ford used a stronger dye, that may cause a difference and I'll punt on that.

Last edited:
Dexcool mixed with approx 50% water inside a antifreeze tester.

69E69971-4831-4319-84F2-9C2E9C3FCD89.jpeg

Last edited:
The Ford Orange is basically a Dexcool although not 'GM approved'. Dexcool does meet the Ford spec. (WSS-M97B44-D2). I would have no problem using it for top offs but I wouldn't buy it over Dexcool for a GM.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here are shots of Dexcool in a coolant tank looking somewhat red, and Dexcool (100 %) in a plastic container looking orange. Same fluid.

Your right, mine looked pink/red through the coolant tank but when I took the cap off and looked in side it was bright orange, same color is in our fusion.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here are shots of Dexcool in a coolant tank looking somewhat red, and Dexcool (100 %) in a plastic container looking orange. Same fluid.

Now I got a hankerin for some Sunkist soda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back