Extended life destroys copper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ofcourse i suspect it might be the case that 2-Eha alone attacks Lead solder, but perhaps when combined with some other onhibitors that do protect solder like Benzoate, Molybdate and Sebacate it may neutralize the aggressive tendency of 2-Eha towards solder.
I still however refuse to use any coolant with 2-Eha just to be safe.

Originally Posted by 2EHA
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
As others have said Copper is protected fine by Extended life coolants as all coolants contain Azoles in one form or another.
However most extended life coolants contain 2-Eha which is known to be corrosive towards solder...

To protect solder, the best in inhibitor is Molybdate, which is found in G05, and most Fully Formulated diesel coolants.

Conventional Green contains Benzoate, which also protects solder.

So Extended life is fine in older radiators as long as it's a Non 2-Eha formula, but the safest best would be Conventional green or G05

Not saying G05 is a bad coolant, but is it 2-eha free? Their PI sheet makes no mention of it whereas the Zerex Asian vehicle does.

G05 is a first gen HOAT using sodium benzoate and also nitrates + silicates. original G48 is basically a silicated dexclone with a dash of some other weirdo benzoate in it.

all coolants protect yellow metals but attack solder to some degree. valvoline's tests makes it clear as day that dex and its derivatives are marginally more aggressive than others but still well within spec. absolutely zero reason to run conventional green in 2020

G48 is an evoltuion of the old school Volkswagen TL-774-C G11 Spec, G11 is ( usually ) a high silicate coolant with almost 600ppm Silicate + Benzoate + Borate and some form of Azole, G48 i think has slightly less silicate, around 500ppm like G40, , but instead uses usually 2-Eha or Sebacate, but it still has Borates + the Azole ofcourse.
You can get both 2-Eha and 2-Eha free versions of G40 and G48.
It's not that all coolants attack solder to some degree, the thing is that lead solder is perhaps the "weakest" most susceptible metal there is to corrosion in a cooling system, it's no wonder all modern cars use Aluminium / Plastic radiators.

Last edited:
Zerex G40 is 2-Eha free, it's strange that it shows such high Solder losses.

Glysantin G40 which is the "daddy" of them all, shows less than -1Mg of solder loss in either Glassware or Simulated Service ASTM tests.

Zerex's blend is guaranteed to be redistributed BASF produced G40, Valvoline is Glysantin's US partner. VW's G12++++++\13 spec is so loose and retroactive to their old coolant that Motul's G13 blend is quite literally G12 with silicates.

It's not that all coolants attack solder to some degree, the thing is that lead solder is perhaps the "weakest" most susceptible metal there is to corrosion in a cooling system, it's no wonder all modern cars use Aluminium / Plastic radiators.

agreed

Last edited:

the old school Volkswagen TL-774-C G11 Spec, G11 is ( usually ) a high silicate coolant with almost 600ppm Silicate + Benzoate + Borate.

Bingo. G05 and G11 were very similar when they came out in 1980 and one dyed vomit yellow with nitrites and the other dyed blue without them. Here's what BMW had to say when it adopted G48's ancestor.

"With the protection of the environment in mind, BMW has been filling all of its vehicles with nitrite- and amino-free
anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agents since mid-1986 as standard practice.
The use of anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agents that contain nitrites and amines is no longer permissible."

MB continued using G05 for very obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Is there a standard for coolant aimed at gasoline engines that specifically excludes 2-eha from it's composition ?

I believe Cummins CES 14439 excludes it, but that is aimed at heavy duty applications. If I'm wrong here, please let me know.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
As I have stated many times, we run our factory coolant to well in excess of 200k miles regularly. Dex is a huge non-issue. We never touch it until something breaks and we have to dump it for repairs.

Amazing problem, and for the record there isn't a spec of copper anywhere in our GM fleet truck's radiators.

Spoken for truth. Thank You for telling gthe facts sir
thumbsup2.gif

We use dexcool at work and have for years in GM's without ANY issue

Originally Posted by Wheel
Is there a standard for coolant aimed at gasoline engines that specifically excludes 2-eha from it's composition ?

I believe Cummins CES 14439 excludes it, but that is aimed at heavy duty applications. If I'm wrong here, please let me know.

No coolant spec i know excludes 2-Eha

To know wether a coolant has it or not, you need to look up the MSDS / SDS data sheet, for that specific coolant to know.

However, you won't find a single conventional green coolant or G05 coolant with 2-Eha.

I haven't come across a single one at least.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Twelve years with Dexcool ( latest change with Prestone Dexcool) in a Chev 6.0. All good. Cool Runnings.
laugh.gif

Well that is unsurprising, Dexcool works well in cooling systems designed for it.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Twelve years with Dexcool ( latest change with Prestone Dexcool) in a Chev 6.0. All good. Cool Runnings.
laugh.gif

Well that is unsurprising, Dexcool works well in cooling systems designed for it.

Exactly.

I think the question of corrosion in soldered systems is very important since heater cores can also be soldered too, even today some are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back