4runner oil level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed something odd when checking the oil on our 17 4runner, when checking the dip stick it indicates that it is way over filled.
We purchased it used last year so the whole time I was thinking the dealer over filled it but this time I changed it myself and put in exactly 6.6 quarts which is what the manual calls for and it reads the same.
I'm not sure why the pictures are showing upside down.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've always found that style of Toyota dipstick to be difficult to read.
I'd guess that you're just reading smeared oil from the side of the tube.
I usually wipe and try at least 2 or 3 times till I'm satisfied, and it's definitely easier with a cold engine.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
If you hold the dipstick right down near the radiator cover the focus will be better. Can't see much the way it is.

Have you checked on 4runner forums to see if this is a thing?

Yes I actually just googled it and found a post on a 4runner forum about it, it does seem like other people are having the same issue, thanks. I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't cause an engine problem.

I took a couple more pictures after pulling it out and wiping it off multiple times and still don't get a clear reading. I've never had a vehicle with a difficult to read dip stick like this one.
Now one side shows a little over filled and the other shows way over filled, the car has been sitting cold all through the night.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those dipsticks are like that. I have the older 4.0 and it does the same thing. Basically have to wait 30 minutes in between readings to allow what was on the side of the dipstick tube to flow back down to get an accurate reading.

just a thought...but when you drain your oil you don't get it all out...and if you're always adding the full 6.6 liters the manual says you are adding to the overfilled amount at each oil change. Why not try draining oil at next change and not adding the full 6.6..just add enough to reach the full mark on the dipstick?

Probably stating the obvious, but you did drain the oil filter canister, and change the filter. And also started the engine to refill the oil filter canister and then shut the engine off and let the oil drain back into the sump while on level ground, I assume.

I have never been able to add whatever the oil capacity of the engine is regardless of make or model because you never get all the oil out. If it says 5.5qts I start with 5qts and then add until it's to the full line. In this example, I'm never able to add an additional 0.5qts no matter how long I allow the oil to drain and usually 5.0qts brings me to the top. I assume there is half a quart still inside the engine.

Mine is tough to get a reading on also; but since it doesn't burn any in 10,000 miles
thumbsup2.gif

Seriously though when I do an oil & filter change I put 6 1/2 quarts in it, and it is near the top of the hatched area on the stick.

You might want to try turning the dipstick 20 or 30° in either direction to avoid having the two sides indicate different amounts… It has worked for me. But if you turn it too far, it will be unable to reach the sump.

Read the dipstick on the first pull - cold engine reading-only. Wait 30 minutes for a 2nd reading, due to the design of the dipstick tube.
Our Kia 2.0 MPI has similar issues with higher readings on one side of the dipstick, if I try to read the dipstick twice within a minute or two.

Pull the dipstick, wipe it clean and leave it out of the engine for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Push it all the way in and pull it out, then you will get a clear reading. The dipstick inside the tube is such a narrow fit that it keeps oil stuck in the tube as long as the dipstick is inside, which messes up the oil level readings. I thought they would have figured out the design problem by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back