is the vw505.01 strongest oil of them all? Use in petrol engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If PD engines are the most demanding for anti wear oil properties, and require VW 505.01 (5w40) oil, does it means it can be used in regular MPI nonTurbo petrol engine, just for increased protecion (where ordinary acea a3 (505.00) oil is required). ?

Last edited:
I don't think strongest or most protective is necessarily any one formulation for all motors.
In a generic sense, unless my car or the motor has very specific requirements that I'd think of as 'fussy', my generic Go To oil was always Shell Rotella T synthetic. That or something similar might be just fine for your situation. VW 505 as you refer to might be just fine or overkill and a bit pricey but that doesn't stop any of us from playing it safe. If your owners man sounds fairly simple in oil specs, you'll have some latitude and can go for the respected synthetics in your area that are more competitively priced IMO.
At present, I do follow the guide of O Manuals for the Mazda and VW whereas my old cars weren't as fussy.
This below may have a cross ref to the motor/s you have there but your car manual is best for specifics. If it's just showing the basic grades as this list does, you probably have many good options.

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwc...aintenance/Oil-Grades-and-Capacities.pdf

Last edited:
505.01 uses zn/p as antiwasr for the additional camshaft lobe used to drive the injector pump - comtact pressures are very high and the lobe is very narrow.

If your problm is related to spring preseure and cam wear then use it and see benefits. If your problem is not related to the presence of AW compound it wont matter if you use it or not.

What problem are you trying to address?

To answer your question directly, yes it is suitable. If you burn oil your cat may suffer but that is not the oils problem it is the leaking seals problem.

I dot have any problems, just tryingf to find "mojst protective" oil for my engine. Price od 505.01 oil is about the same as any other ACEA A3 oil. My car specifies ACEA A5, but I use A3 to be safer, who cares about fuel economy. I was looking at commaoil.com ther oil for PD engine: PD plus, and "ordinary" 5w40 Syner-G, both have same levels of Zn and P...

Originally Posted by Mainia
The irony......Hyundai, the car manufacture with the most engine problems has the least heavy duty oil specs.

True, but not sure if better oil would have saved them from the problems.

Originally Posted by Olas
Any A3/B4 oil will give you all the protection you need - if you want more.........

ForMPI engine in your sig.......MB 229.5...BMW LL-01.....Shell helix ultra 5w40
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Polyalphaolefin
If PD engines are the most demanding for anti wear oil properties, and require VW 505.01 (5w40) oil, does it means it can be used in regular MPI nonTurbo petrol engine, just for increased protecion (where ordinary acea a3 (505.00) oil is required). ?

It can be also 0W30 or 5W30.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
The irony......Hyundai, the car manufacture with the most engine problems has the least heavy duty oil specs.

Interestingly enough - my wifes 2015 KIA Sedona has a spec for ACEA A5 or better....that's a pretty hard to find 'economical oil' - spec....and it's not even turbo, just GDI. (3.3L Lambda)

Originally Posted by tundraotto

Interestingly enough - my wifes 2015 KIA Sedona has a spec for ACEA A5 or better....that's a pretty hard to find 'economical oil' - spec....and it's not even turbo, just GDI. (3.3L Lambda)

That does not exists! That exists only in minds of engineers of Hyundai/KIA and they are dead wrong! We chewed this subject numerous times.

Originally Posted by Polyalphaolefin
, just tryingf to find "mojst protective" oil for my engine...

the most powerful engines need the most protection, so on that basis you shoudl use Redline 70wt nitro.

consider that the most isnt always the best for a given application - seriously, any a3b4 will make the engine last until the car rusts away

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by tundraotto

That does not exists! That exists only in minds of engineers of Hyundai/KIA and they are dead wrong! We chewed this subject numerous times.

That's right - not yet, it doesn't, until the new ACEA specs come out.
My point was that if Huyndai's oil specs are weak - it rather weird that their other economy brand KIA - has pretty stiff specs....I am sure there are a few shared engines also....wonder how their oil specs differ?

Last edited:
I say the heck with Hyundai's oil spec., it is weak.I run Mobil 1 5w 30 ESP in the winter and may go with Pennzoil 5w 40 Euro in the summer in my 1.6T Hyundai Kona AWD.

On my tech data system there's a wide range of viscosities for the MPI.

5w-30 and 5w-40 are the only viscosities listed for all ambient temps.

Most oils that meet the 505.01 spec also are mids saps which will maximise your catalysts life

I'd be looking at an oil with a spec sheet like Havoline ProDs Euro 5w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back