Mopar oil bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! Here are some oil cans from my huge Collection of oil bottles and cans, I favour especially those ones who are car manufacturer related like Mopar, Ford, GM Goodwrench …! Maybe somebody has some older oil bottles in his Garage, barn, Basement … and isn´t sure what to make with it! I´ll buy good ones for $10 empty or full they just should be Motor oil bottles! Shortly there was a thread of old 10w30 mopar bottles I´d like to buy them for $10 each unfortunatly BBDartCA doesn´t respond to me About that! They would perfectly fit in my Collection, I collect and catalogue all this old cans/ bottles before they´re gone for good and Maybe they will have some value when the age of Electric cars has killed most lubricating items! Would appreciate any help to extend my Collection especially with those old mopar oil bottles!

mopa.jpg

mopa .jpg

vintage-mopar-max-graphite-oil-ultra_1_34aea5ff9695ed9e794fd3c515dcee37.jpg

mopa  .png

Where did you get those bottles atikovi? They really look odd with that large blank space below 'Motor Oil'.
I would imagine they have no value whatsoever, without seeing the back or bottom, for a UPC sticker at-least.

There's no sticker price on it..... no nothing. I'm assuming these came from the bottling plant and never got shipped to a retailer.
They simply look like an incomplete packaged quart of oil. No value whatsover, without proof it made it to a store.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
There's no sticker price on it..... no nothing. I'm assuming these came from the bottling plant and never got shipped to a retailer.
They simply look like an incomplete packaged quart of oil. No value whatsover, without proof it made it to a store.
Looks pretty complete to me. You got a loiscense for that oil? If not I will have to confiscate it and run it in me OPE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Aren't you the guy that wanted me to save these Pennzoil bottles over a year ago? You never got back to me and they are taking up space on the shelf.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Put them into the trunk of that car you are still holding onto for that other buyer. Problem solved!

not much usefullness not being in original condition....not that I'm sure there is not much value even if they were IMHO. Just recycle it all

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Those look like from the 60's and 70's. That's about all the label said back then.
Engine oil was not generally sold in that type of container then.

The Pennzoil bottles are from the mid to late '80s, maybe very early '90s.
The rectangular bottle was introduced in late '85 or early '86. Before that, Pennzoil's plastic bottle was the round funnel type. A few years later, the bell and lettering was restyled, making it a little simpler and cleaner. I don't remember exactly when that was, but I don't think it was later than the early '90s.
The tear-off labels were used for rebates, and at least two giveaways. When the Jeep Wrangler first came out, Pennzoil gave away ten of them in a contest. The tear-off portion of the label was the entry form. We had a winner in Western New York, and the delivering dealer was a customer of ours. We did some promo work with that. The other giveaway I remember was for ten of the then new front wheel drive Cadillacs.
There was some blowback from the tear-off labels, as by the nature of the promotions and rebates, there was a necessary end date. Quarts would sell after, and people were unhappy to be shut out of the promo.
I found a poster for the Jeep promotion online which clearly shows how the label was supposed to be used as the entry form. I'll try to upload it here.
If a picture of the code on the bottom could be posted here, I can try to see if I remember how to read the date code part.

s-l500.jpg

Those look like from the 60's and 70's. That's about all the label said back then.

Pennzoil wasn't sold in plastic bottles until the early 80's. I remember the first bottles being round.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
Pennzoil wasn't sold in plastic bottles until the early 80's. I remember the first bottles being round.

That's correct. Here's a picture of the one with which I've been using for 35 years as a funnel for draining used filters.
These weren't used on the full line of products, only a few of the most popular grades. 12-pack shrink wrapped cans were used for the entire quart line. The intention, so they told us, was to have both containers available, and to emphasize choice. When the new rectangular "Bottle Beautiful" overwhelmingly outsold the can, the decision was made to drop the can once and for all.

IMG_20200126_235530785.jpg

Originally Posted by CR94
Engine oil was not generally sold in that type of container then.

Doh! My bad! they were in cardboard cans with metal ends. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back