'12 Civic burning oil after switch to M1

I used Mobil 1 0w20 in my mom's Fit for 3 oil changes and it burned some. It never burned oil on any other brand 0w20 including SuperTech and Napa, so I've just avoided it. Might just be something with Hondas.
21.gif

Originally Posted by sr20detfwd
Just inherited a 2012 civic 1.8 from my aunt, and she always had it serviced at the dealer promptly when the maintenance minder came on. It has 92,xxx miles, I switched to Mobil1 and a Honda filter and ive been burning about a 1/2 quart every 700 miles since the oil change, about 3400k since last oil change. No leaks and it runs beautifully.

I didn't see any mention of low oil during any previous dealer oil changes which has me wondering if M1 is causing the burning(im sure they may not even check)? Should i try switching back to Honda's oil? Very strange, not sure what the next step is.

This is why I don't change oil, based on maintenance minders / OLMs....etc.
Plus, this is really a prior-owned vehicle and it's unfair to blame the oil on consumption concerns. Had you owned and driven the vehicle for years prior, then point fingers at possibly being the oil's fault.
What's being exhibited here may have occurred with any brand of the same viscosity used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Just inherited a 2012 civic 1.8 from my aunt, and she always had it serviced at the dealer promptly when the maintenance minder came on. It has 92,xxx miles, I switched to Mobil1 and a Honda filter and ive been burning about a 1/2 quart every 700 miles since the oil change, about 3400k since last oil change. No leaks and it runs beautifully.

I didn't see any mention of low oil during any previous dealer oil changes which has me wondering if M1 is causing the burning(im sure they may not even check)? Should i try switching back to Honda's oil? Very strange, not sure what the next step is.

This is why I don't change oil, based on maintenance minders / OLMs....etc.
Plus, this is really a prior-owned vehicle and it's unfair to blame the oil on consumption concerns. Had you owned and driven the vehicle for years prior, then point fingers at possibly being the oil's fault.
What's being exhibited here may have occurred with any brand of the same viscosity used.

Very true

Where you live, Vanilla 5W30 is what I'd use and I'm about to, in our Kia. I have two big jugs of Vanilla and will buy another two Mobil-1 EP/AP, when the Mobil Rebate Promotion returns in early Spring.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Where you live, Vanilla 5W30 is what I'd use and I'm about to, in our Kia. I have two big jugs of Vanilla and will buy another two Mobil-1 EP/AP, when the Mobil Rebate Promotion returns in early Spring.

What it this "vanilla " 5w30 m1? Can I get chocolate 5w30 M1 or.....

... Forgot to mention using the recommended 0W-20 as well.
It looks like you also forgot to mention what the previous consumption rate was, if known. If it is unknown, I don't see how you can conclude the rate has increased with the Mobil.

Also, what oil was the dealer using?

Why is it that some cars are so sensitive to different brands and have to "get used" to the new oil. I can't recall having issues switching oils with any of my cars over the years ... using same viscosity grade.
In one car I switch between 2 different dinos and 2 different syn and not much difference except the oil color after x many miles. This particular car burns less with M1 EP but I think that is Noack related.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Why is it that some cars are so sensitive to different brands and have to "get used" to the new oil. I can't recall having issues switching oils with any of my cars over the years ... using same viscosity grade.
In one car I switch between 2 different dinos and 2 different syn and not much difference except the oil color after x many miles. This particular car burns less with M1 EP but I think that is Noack related.

Ive been using Mobil1 on off for many years, never had an issue with burning except on some turbo cars but that can be expected. My other civic has a newly rebuilt turbo B18C running M1 5w-30, doesnt burn a drop.

I like Mobil 1 if the car is not burning oil. However, both of my Honda Accord 2.4L burns more oil with Mobil 1 EP or Vanila. Using Castrol Edge EP burns lesser oil compared to the Mobil 1.

My sons 2010 Civic EX 1.8L always used a little Mobil 1 on every OCI. Switched to QSUD and it did not burn any oil but I thought it ran much louder... Switched to Valvoline full syn HM with Maxlife 5W20 and it runs quiet and has not used any oil over the last three 7500K OCI's. The car has 128K miles and runs great. Don't forget the tranny, I always drain the ATF every 20K miles or so and replace with new tranny fluid.

Since you are in CA, try using a 5W30 oil...

Last edited:
With Subarus some dealers say Mobil1 burns faster and so they recommend Idemitsu oil. Not certain i buy that but oil consumption is a strange thing. I'd try supertech himi 0-20

Last edited:
I have a 2012 Civic and use Mobil 1 0W-20 on occasions and it doesn't burn a drop. I would change it out every 3,000 miles a couple times and it might quit burning the oil. The 1.8's are not know to be oil burners.
They usually drink some amount of oil as they age, but the amount is not significantly. I see 1 qt every 5-6k on the higher mileage ones, but not enough to warrant top-off.

I have never seen consumption issues caused by M1. Idemitsu and Havoline ProDS have resulted in some consumption for me.

I ran AFE once in the Mazda, even had a UOA done. Didn't burn a drop. I notice in my honda van that some brands burn a little more than others. I never worried about it much so I can't even remember which brands burned the most. This past summer switching to supertech 5w30 from the usual 5w20 helped it burn very little to nothing at all.

Back