In 3 hours - 730 days and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
In 3 hours Darlington Unit 1 will have been running at 100% CF for 2 years straight (730 days). Will be interesting to see how long it will stay up for without a maintenance outage, I expect until after Unit 2 is back from its refurbishment at least. The current record for a CANDU, and for the longest time, any nuclear power plant was 894 days held by Pickering Unit 7. If Darlington bests that the next milestone is 962 days, a record set last year by another HWR, a 220MW unit in India which is basically a CANDU clone.

On an unrelated note, our oldest operating station, Pickering, produced 23.6TWh last year, a site record marking 87% Capacity Factor from its six operating units and producing 17.2% of Ontario's electricity.

oh wow.... i wonder what oil do they run? I need me some of that
lol.gif

O kill.... typically we re rod at 24 month intervals.
Not sure of your plants criteria ......but I'm betting it's close to 24

Originally Posted by P10crew
O kill.... typically we re rod at 24 month intervals.
Not sure of your plants criteria ......but I'm betting it's close to 24

CANDU's refuel online, so an outage is dictated by other maintenance items, which is why CANDU's have typically held the record for runtimes.

Originally Posted by blupupher
what is CF and CANDU?

CF: Capacity Factor
CANDU: CANadian Deuterium Uranium

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by blupupher
what is CF and CANDU?

CF: Capacity Factor
CANDU: CANadian Deuterium Uranium

It's a Canadian designed nuclear reactor. It's set up to generate electricity. This one is in Ontario.

Originally Posted by Donald
This is old technology. The world is moving to fusion (hopefully).

Not anytime soon however. Old tech ULE is still preferable to vapourware
wink.gif
If/when they do get fusion sorted, it will be a game-changer for sure. In the interim, it looks like 4th gen fission will be the "next big thing" with SMR's.

I wish....getting a little pessimistic.....it was 20 years away in the 90's.....and it is still 20+ years away today....

Originally Posted by tundraotto

I wish....getting a little pessimistic.....it was 20 years away in the 90's.....and it is still 20+ years away today....

Well there is some business investment in fusion and some some new modular designs of fisson.

With solar and wind getting very cheap and improvements in battery storage I think people were waiting to see how nuclear would fit in and it looks like it fits in nicely.

Long term after coal is gone we need to get rid of gas powered power plants also. Hopefully coal is gone before "long term"

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted by ruSSrt
oh wow.... i wonder what oil do they run? I need me some of that
lol.gif

Mobil 700 Series Steam Turbine oil perhaps.

All my turbines ever had was an R and O (Rust and Oxidation Inhibited) mineral oil...ISO32, although 46 was an alternative on the manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back