'12 Civic burning oil after switch to M1

Just inherited a 2012 civic 1.8 from my aunt, and she always had it serviced at the dealer promptly when the maintenance minder came on. It has 92,xxx miles, I switched to Mobil1 and a Honda filter and ive been burning about a 1/2 quart every 700 miles since the oil change, about 3400k since last oil change. No leaks and it runs beautifully.

I didn't see any mention of low oil during any previous dealer oil changes which has me wondering if M1 is causing the burning(im sure they may not even check)? Should i try switching back to Honda's oil? Very strange, not sure what the next step is.

Gotcha, yes its the first oil change. Forgot to mention using the recommended 0W-20 as well.

thumbsup2.gif
Keep an eye on it, but I expect it will probably taper off.

Originally Posted by sr20detfwd
Just inherited a 2012 civic 1.8 from my aunt, and she always had it serviced at the dealer promptly when the maintenance minder came on. It has 92,xxx miles, I switched to Mobil1 and a Honda filter and ive been burning about a 1/2 quart every 700 miles since the oil change, about 3400k since last oil change. No leaks and it runs beautifully.

I didn't see any mention of low oil during any previous dealer oil changes which has me wondering if M1 is causing the burning(im sure they may not even check)? Should i try switching back to Honda's oil? Very strange, not sure what the next step is.

Any idea what the Honda dealer used ?

I looked at the history, seems to bounce between 0w20 SYNBLEND and 0w20 FULLSYN.

Official volatility numbers withstanding I'm pretty certain my truck burns 0w-30 M1 AFE at a noticeably higher rate than pretty much everything else I've used (all 5w30 synthetics) including other M1 products.

I use QSUD 0W20 in the Civic 1.8L in my signature. Doesn't burn a drop during the whole OCI which has been as long as 9200 miles/6 months. Try it and you may notice some extra engine quietness as well.

Last edited:
As mentioned it might take an OCI or two for the consumption to taper off. If after the second OCI with the oil you still have a consumption issue, and the PCV valve is good, and there are no leaks, switch back to the oil you were using before. That's what I would do.

I changed the PCV a month or two ago with an OEM one, seems "springy" and functional prior to install lol.

I ran AFE 0W-20 in a 2012 Corolla, and it didn't consume any oil. OCI was 10k miles or one year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilReport99
I ran AFE 0W-20 in a 2012 Corolla, and it didn't consume any oil. OCI was 10k miles or one year.

I have used this oil is 2 other vehicles and never had an issue, thats why i was pretty confused.

Originally Posted by sr20detfwd

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer just didn't document the consumption. Perhaps it did pick up some when you changed brands though. The issue may just not be as bad as you think.

Time will tell.

I have a 2012 Civic and use Mobil 1 0W-20 on occasions and it doesn't burn a drop. I would change it out every 3,000 miles a couple times and it might quit burning the oil. The 1.8's are not know to be oil burners.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Is this the first OCI on M1? If so, give it at least two OCI's before you switch, sometimes it settles and stops.

+1. This has been observed in the past. Give it an OCI or two.

But if it doesn't stop, since 1qt ever 1400 miles is pretty high, then swap back. Good thing is the lower ash content of these newer oils is easier on your converter.

Back