Recent Topics
Another what is this
by parshisa - 02/28/20 09:20 PM
PTU oil choice?
by mpgo4th - 02/28/20 09:16 PM
School me on Radon...
by dareo - 02/28/20 08:56 PM
How do I bend this fence?
by Chris142 - 02/28/20 07:52 PM
Mercon LV in the transfer case?
by buck91 - 02/28/20 07:41 PM
Wix vanilla filters?
by NavyVet88 - 02/28/20 07:33 PM
What gas do pre-1974 LEADED gas cars run?
by wowthisexists - 02/28/20 05:50 PM
Does anyone do this?.,,
by BigCahuna - 02/28/20 05:49 PM
RMD-- Is this the time to take it?
by csandste - 02/28/20 03:29 PM
Timken Rear Wheel Bearing - Any Good?
by Delta - 02/28/20 02:47 PM
121k 2011 GMC Terrain 2.4 ~ PP 6250 miles
by Matt1980 - 02/28/20 02:42 PM
Mopar coolant alternative?
by ram_man - 02/28/20 02:38 PM
Old (but new) filters
by RF12 - 02/28/20 01:54 PM
5.3 DOD/AFM Delete - Looking for LS Advice
by RoadDukie - 02/28/20 01:47 PM
Help picking battery powered mower
by Huie83 - 02/28/20 01:41 PM
Newest Members
StratMan, ABchevy, RAOD, MichaelTx, duesenberg
70826 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
105 registered members (atikovi, 4WD, AdditiveOCD, ArrestMeRedZ, Al, 8 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics302,057
Posts5,208,266
Members70,826
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P0171 and P0174 #5332422 01/26/20 05:04 AM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 722
NavyVet88 Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 722
2002 Ford Ranger 3.0L 74K(original miles)

Went outside to crank the truck so it could warm up while finishing getting ready for work and instantly got a CEL. Plugged in my code reader and got P0171 and P0174 confirmed for Bank 1 and Bank 2 fuel system too lean. I would love to tackle this myself, but My wife and I both are working seven days a week right now so its gonna have to go in the shop first thing in the morning.

Everything on this truck that could be an issue to these codes is still factory stock parts that it came with from the factory. I have noticed that in the last couple months my daily commute to work has started using almost a quarter tank of gas each way(54 miles each way). So basically 100 miles is costing me half a tank of gas each day nearly. Im preparing for the worst financially of it being a leaking gasket or fuel injectors because it does have a slight but noticeable rough idle and only at idle. Other than that it drives fine.

What else can you think of to look at/for?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by NavyVet88; 01/26/20 05:07 AM.

2013 Honda Civic LX 1.8L 178k M1 HM 0w20 with Fram XG7317
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L 67k Castrol Edge 5w30 with Fram XG3600
Maintenance Technician by trade, working class for life.
Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: NavyVet88] #5332425 01/26/20 05:07 AM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,266
O
Olas Offline
Offline
O
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,266
Vacuum leak

Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: NavyVet88] #5332430 01/26/20 05:29 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 12,221
C
Char Baby Offline
Offline
C
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 12,221
Did you recently add a fuel injector or combustion chamber cleaner on your last fillup of gas?...maybe even overdose it a bit too much?
Depending on your answer is what I will ask/add next.


Retired 6 yrs now & lovin' it
-----------------------------------

'80 Firebird FORMULA V8/4bbl-purchased "NEW"
'15 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV
'15 Honda Civic 1.8 LX
Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: NavyVet88] #5332438 01/26/20 06:02 AM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 722
NavyVet88 Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 722
I put sea foam in it about 4k ago and have changed the oil since then as well.


2013 Honda Civic LX 1.8L 178k M1 HM 0w20 with Fram XG7317
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L 67k Castrol Edge 5w30 with Fram XG3600
Maintenance Technician by trade, working class for life.
Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: NavyVet88] #5332443 01/26/20 06:08 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 12,221
C
Char Baby Offline
Offline
C
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 12,221
Well, I was thinking that if you just filled the tank and added the SeaFoam(cleaner) that the CEL would emit due to reading different values in the fuel. But since it was done ~4K miles ago, I am ruling out the fuel system cleaner(FSC). I think that your air/fuel(A/F) ratio sensors in Bank 1 & Bank 2 are now on their way out as this is what has always happened to my vehicles. Why both together? IDK!

I could be wrong but, it's a hunch.

Last edited by Char Baby; 01/26/20 06:10 AM.

Retired 6 yrs now & lovin' it
-----------------------------------

'80 Firebird FORMULA V8/4bbl-purchased "NEW"
'15 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV
'15 Honda Civic 1.8 LX
Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: NavyVet88] #5332445 01/26/20 06:16 AM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 11,091
S
spasm3 Online Happy
Online Happy
S
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 11,091
Lean On both banks? I would want to know what the fuel pressure is. In case the fuel pump is getting weak.

Edit; perhaps fuel filter should be replaced as well.

Last edited by spasm3; 01/26/20 06:29 AM.

13 elantra 81k 5w30 synpwr
03 chevy avalanche 83k synpwr 5w30
17 mazda cx-5 17000 miles synpwr 5w30
Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: spasm3] #5332449 01/26/20 06:32 AM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 722
NavyVet88 Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 722
Originally Posted by spasm3
Lean On both banks? I would want to know what the fuel pressure is. In case the fuel pump is getting weak.

Edit; perhaps fuel filter should be replaced as well.


I replaced the fuel filter about 6 months ago.


2013 Honda Civic LX 1.8L 178k M1 HM 0w20 with Fram XG7317
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L 67k Castrol Edge 5w30 with Fram XG3600
Maintenance Technician by trade, working class for life.
Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: Char Baby] #5332451 01/26/20 06:34 AM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 722
NavyVet88 Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 722
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Well, I was thinking that if you just filled the tank and added the SeaFoam(cleaner) that the CEL would emit due to reading different values in the fuel. But since it was done ~4K miles ago, I am ruling out the fuel system cleaner(FSC). I think that your air/fuel(A/F) ratio sensors in Bank 1 & Bank 2 are now on their way out as this is what has always happened to my vehicles. Why both together? IDK!

I could be wrong but, it's a hunch.


Well those are the original O2 sensors from 2002 so....that is a possibility.


2013 Honda Civic LX 1.8L 178k M1 HM 0w20 with Fram XG7317
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L 67k Castrol Edge 5w30 with Fram XG3600
Maintenance Technician by trade, working class for life.
Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: Olas] #5332458 01/26/20 06:58 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,320
blupupher Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,320
Originally Posted by Olas
Vacuum leak

This.


'18 Santa Fe: PP 10W-30/OEM
'18 Soul: Synpower 5W-30/PG
'10 Santa Fe: Synpower 5w-30/D+
'04 F150: Magnatec 10w-30/ST
'12 xB: M1EP 0W-20/CQ Blue
'02 F150: Magnatec 5W-20/D+
'94 VT1100: Peak 15W-40/D+
Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: NavyVet88] #5332460 01/26/20 07:01 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,082
A
Audios Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,082
Definitely a vaccum leak or failed PCV. Check fuel pressure, smoke test intake system, check volume readings of mass air meter. Probably something simple.


2002 VW Golf TDI-T5 10/30
2007 Mercedes GL320 CDI-T6 5/40
2005 BMW M3 BMW-Twin Power 10/60
2003 BMW M5-M1 15/50
1998 BMW M3/4/5-M1 10/40
Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: Audios] #5332473 01/26/20 07:32 AM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 722
NavyVet88 Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 722
Originally Posted by Audios
Definitely a vaccum leak or failed PCV. Check fuel pressure, smoke test intake system, check volume readings of mass air meter. Probably something simple.


That’s about where I am at with it. Normally it’s the simple crap that is the most aggravating.


2013 Honda Civic LX 1.8L 178k M1 HM 0w20 with Fram XG7317
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L 67k Castrol Edge 5w30 with Fram XG3600
Maintenance Technician by trade, working class for life.
Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: NavyVet88] #5332475 01/26/20 07:34 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,049
A
atikovi Online Content
Online Content
A
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,049
Check all the vacuum hoses for breaks and cracks.

Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: NavyVet88] #5332488 01/26/20 07:51 AM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 619
F
ford46guy Offline
Offline
F
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 619
If it is a 4.0SOHC likely vac leak, replace intake gaskets. I think Ford had a kit. Also clean your MAF sensor. That is 99% of the reason for BOTH codes. The chance of bad 02 sensors with both of those codes is 1%.

Last edited by ford46guy; 01/26/20 07:52 AM.

95 Tbird V8 240K PP SYNTH ULTRA 5W30
98 MGM 160K M1 HM 5W20
96 Explorer EB V6 159K PP SYNTH HM 5W30
95 Conti 155K MC 5W20
11 GS350 90K PP HM 5W30
Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: Olas] #5332491 01/26/20 07:54 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 22,999
T
Trav Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 22,999
Originally Posted by Olas
Vacuum leak


+1 A definite possibility.


ASE L1, Master. Deutsch Meisterbrief.
Re: P0171 and P0174 [Re: NavyVet88] #5332497 01/26/20 08:00 AM
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 227
T
thastinger Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 227
Lean on both banks is either too much unmetered air (leak) or to little fuel (weak pump or dirty fuel filter)

Did they come back after you cleared them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™