Old SG/CD Mopar Vintage oil useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BBDartCA
Originally Posted by NH73
This back when most 10w30 were dual rated for diesel and gas engines. When did that end?

CHEVRON DELO 400 LE 10w-30. Could be others. Search here.
https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsSearch
Yes, I know there are still dual rated oils with brands geared towards diesel users, and other speciality brands. But I am talking about when you go to an ordinary store and pickup 10w30 motor oil from the usual Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil, Valvoline, etc. it was dual rated. Today, if I were to do the same thing, it is only certified for gas engines. I was wondering when that ended.

[Yes, I know there are still dual rated oils with brands geared towards diesel users, and other speciality brands. But I am talking about when you go to an ordinary store and pickup 10w30 motor oil from the usual Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil, Valvoline, etc. it was dual rated. Today, if I were to do the same thing, it is only certified for gas engines. I was wondering when that ended.

No. Back in the day there were gas engine oils and diesel oils. Not interchangeable.

Hello! I would buy the mopar bottles from you for the Price you want, just get back to me if you want to sell them!

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
[Yes, I know there are still dual rated oils with brands geared towards diesel users, and other speciality brands. But I am talking about when you go to an ordinary store and pickup 10w30 motor oil from the usual Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil, Valvoline, etc. it was dual rated. Today, if I were to do the same thing, it is only certified for gas engines. I was wondering when that ended.

No. Back in the day there were gas engine oils and diesel oils. Not interchangeable.
If you look at most old 10w30 oils, most were dual rated. I went back to look at pictures of old oil cans and yes, they were dual rated.

If you look at most old 10w30 oils, most were dual rated. I went back to look at pictures of old oil cans and yes, they were dual rated.

Well, I was changing oil in class 8 trucks and cars back then and don't remember seeing dual rated. We had car oil and diesel oil. 10w-30/40 for cars and 40 or 15w-40 for diesel's.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

Well, I was changing oil in class 8 trucks and cars back then and don't remember seeing dual rated. We had car oil and diesel oil. 10w-30/40 for cars and 40 or 15w-40 for diesel's.
Back them, most gas engines called for 10w30/40 and the class 8 trucks called for 40 or 15w40, which would explain why you would of had those simple designation. If you were to read the containers or information, all of them were likely dual rated. Your HDEO oils kept there dual ratings the longest, it seemed that a lot of those dropped it on some of there products when the CK-4 came out. A lot of Mobil 1 carry the API CF rating, even though its obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back