My doggie had a rough week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 7 yr old sheppard mix had an accident ( went #1 in the house) weds morning. That's really unusual for him as he is very good about getting us up if he has to go.

Later that day he just was not himself. Thurs he was obviously not doing well. He was not eating much and threw up what he did eat.

Took him to a local vet thurs evening and the xrays showed what looked like he had swallowed something. The get thought maybe a sock was stuck in him. They gave him mineral oils and stuff to make him poop. Friday morning it was still in him.

Blood test showed an infection.

We decided that surgery was needed.

He went into surgery friday about 10a. They found a 10lb tumor on his spleen. The tumor had been leaking toxins into his belly cavity.

They removed the spleen and the tumor that was as big as a football. He stayed the night there last night.

He came home today about noon. He is still groggy but has kept his wet food down so far. I took him outside a few minutes ago and he went #1.

He has a slice and stiches on his belly about 12 inches long. He is currantly next to us and I took his cone off to give him a break from it. Watching him closely.

Whats interesting is that my kitty went to check on him. He sniffed the stitches area then layed down next to the dog.

Animals definatly have senses we don't.

The first 24 hrs are critical and he is past that. The next 2-3 days being critical but lessening as the days pass.

I am very impressed with the vet. I have waited in dr offices for hours. The vet had answers in 45 minutes on an animal that can't tell him where it hurts.

Screenshot_20200125-212714.png

Last edited:
Poor guy, he's been through a lot. Best wishes on a full recovery. You're spot on about animals having senses humans don't.

I hope your best friend makes a full recovery Chris. I do have a few questions thou.
Do you always buy different dog foods? If not, what have you fed him these past seven years? Is it dry or wet dog food?

Good looking dog.

Hopefully he feels better soon.

One question. How can a tumor be mistaken for a sock? Lol

Originally Posted by dlundblad

It's all black and white densities on an x-ray. You have to figure out what that density is based on experience, symptoms, and history.

Chris, nice looking Shepard. I hope he recovers well. Animals for sure can sense when things are not as they usually are.

Last edited:
That's great news. A good vet is worth his weight in gold. We lost my little buddy of 13 years to congestive heart failure and kidney failure from his meds on Dec 16 and he was very much family. Our vet wrote a very nice handwritten letter to us afterwards and I've never been more impressed with a vet. He kept our little guy going for over 5 years after his diagnosis.

Really happy for you with your outcome thus far. Hope he's back to normal and healthy soon. We weren't as fortunate with our four year old basset hound.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I hope your best friend makes a full recovery Chris. I do have a few questions thou.
Do you always buy different dog foods? If not, what have you fed him these past seven years? Is it dry or wet dog food?

He has a grain allergy. He gets a grain free dry food. Right now I am giving him a grain free wet food thats touted to be all natural with no fillers or bad stuff. I also switched every water bowl to alkaline water. We sell it at my work and it is supposed to help people and animals stay healthy.

Originally Posted by dlundblad

I saw the xray. It looked like a big lump and I assume the vet was just going off common problems. Since the oil did not make it pass exploratory surgery was needed.

We had a Corgi that would lick his feet raw. The look on his face when the took out the cone.

We started bathing his feed with some shampoo from the vet. He hated that too, he never made the connection to no more cone of shame.

We bought him a new harness for walks. You should have seen him strut.

They do have feelings.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back