Hyundai quality comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
How about rust? How do they hold up in the salt?

I had my Elantra for 10 New Hampshire winters never rustproofed and parked outside. Sometimes parked oceanside for months at a time in New England (son served in Navy then, and now is a civilian employee of Navy at our nearby naval shipyard -- nuff said). Both parked outside winter and summer, at the waterfront. The car had no rust issues. It got totaled several weeks ago.

How was the rust underneath? Friend had a 2011-ish Elantra(?) and I wasn't impressed by what I saw underneath, this would have been around 2017 when I had to do brakes. It still had 5 or so years left but stuff was starting to look kinda scaly.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
How about rust? How do they hold up in the salt?

I had my Elantra for 10 New Hampshire winters never rustproofed and parked outside. Sometimes parked oceanside for months at a time in New England (son served in Navy then, and now is a civilian employee of Navy at our nearby naval shipyard -- nuff said). Both parked outside winter and summer, at the waterfront. The car had no rust issues. It got totaled several weeks ago.

How was the rust underneath? Friend had a 2011-ish Elantra(?) and I wasn't impressed by what I saw underneath, this would have been around 2017 when I had to do brakes. It still had 5 or so years left but stuff was starting to look kinda scaly.

Not the OP you responded to, but my wife's 2011 Elantra was a complete rust bucket when we got rid of it in March of 2019 for the Subaru. Beyond the valve tick of death on cold starts, the brakes would constantly squeak and it developed a horrible noise at low speeds. Also needed rear shocks at 60k. A complete piece of garbage vehicle. Was nice when it was new and drove well, but that didn't last, just like it's not lasting on my Sonata.

Quarter car washes are a good source to keep that vehicle body from rusting so fast. I'm not saying to avoid regular car washes. But regular car washes don't get into the nook & crannies that high-pressure quarter washes get into.
I rotate both places, here in salty Lower Michigan. My Colorado is now 16 years old and has only one MLB baseball-sized piece of rust on it.
It's kept on the street 24/7. I use one application of Nu-Finish Polish on it every late October...... that's it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MCompact
I'm looking at a Stinger GTS AWD. Ridiculously inexpensive for what you get. Reliability doesn't worry me in the slightest. The only thing that gives me pause is that the local dealers are sketchy when it comes to service.
Was at a dealer this weekend looking at a Telluride with my aunt. I sat in a Stinger. God I would absolutely love to have that car. Above my budget though, and I'm a bigger guy, so my Genesis fits me better.

I'll just dream about it.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Was at a dealer this weekend looking at a Telluride with my aunt. I sat in a Stinger. God I would absolutely love to have that car. Above my budget though, and I'm a bigger guy, so my Genesis fits me better.

I'll just dream about it.

One of my friends nabbed a Stinger GT2 AWD for $17k off of MSRP; I'm shooting for $11k-$12k off of sticker. The GTS AWD allows you to send 80%-100% of the torque to the rear axle- which has a mechanical limited slip diff; neither feature available on other AWD Stingers.I'd consider a RWD GT1 or GT2, but the local dealers only get AWD models as the average American driver has been deluded into believing RWD is lethal on anything other than a bone dry arrow straight road. The only RWD models they stock are base four cylinders. Meh.

Originally Posted by smc733

On the side of keeping the Sonata, the absolute lowest cost would probably be to throw in another junkyard Theta II (with god knows what condition/life left in it) and keep gambling. $3k is getting you a junkyard motor without any "fixes", so its unwise to assume that would get you another 100k miles.

If the original Theta II engine blows - Hyun/Kia will install a new one

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by smc733

On the side of keeping the Sonata, the absolute lowest cost would probably be to throw in another junkyard Theta II (with god knows what condition/life left in it) and keep gambling. $3k is getting you a junkyard motor without any "fixes", so its unwise to assume that would get you another 100k miles.

If the original Theta II engine blows - Hyun/Kia will install a new one

Now they will, though as of this moment, the coverage is still limited to 120k miles (though plenty of goodwill replacements reported after that). But, they have been known to give people a hard time, I guess it's a matter of what one is willing to deal with.

I wasn't willing to deal with a blown motor doing 70MPH and the associated hassle. I got rid of mine.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by Jake_J
Hyundia/Kia are having a ton of problems with the Theta II 2.0L and 2.4L engines right now.

The core of the issue is debris left in the engines during the manufacturing process, which causes the engines to eventually lock up and in some cases catch on fire.

While it's entirely possible that some early engines were chock-a-block full of debris, leading to early failures, that's not true today. The engines continue to fail and are doing so due to design and materials issues, not poor quality control. I do not believe the issue has been fixed, and I continue to see reports of engine failures well below and up to the 100K mark.

Mine was a 2015 Hyundai Sonata SE, purchased at 71000 miles (last odometer reading just over 92000 miles), and it caught fire shortly after being parked 2 weeks ago. Hence why I am on this forum (and similar sites) searching for answers. Am certainly not highly knowledgeable when it comes to cars and have learned more about engines in the last 2 weeks than ever before.

Mine had a 2.4 L GDI Theta II engine. Seemed to run well during the 1.75 years I owned it. Then the oil light began flashing on and off intermittently in December 2019. Checked the oil a few times and it always appeared to be full (last oil change was in Sept. 2019 at 88,332 miles). Booked an appointment at the local certified Hyundai dealership to have the oil light issue looked into and to undergo recall work (had one recall notice pertaining to the engine, bill says "ECM & CLUS UPD") right after the holidays. Dealership claimed it was leaking oil and wanted to change out the valve cover gasket, which I agreed to. Drove it home later and began noticing a burning smell over the weekend (friend said it was burning oil), so called and left a message telling them I needed to bring it back in first thing on Monday since the car obviously wasn't fixed. I drove it very little over the weekend and kept an eye on the oil level. Oil pressure light never came back on, nor did any other light illuminate on the dash. Parked it Sunday evening after a short little drive home from my side job (in city, not taken on the highway, less than 12 minutes commute) and headed to the grocery store in my boyfriend's car only to see it smoldering when we got back about an hour later.

This experience has thoroughly blown my mind and prompted me to learn what I'm able about these engines and similar problems others have been experiencing with Hyundais and Kias. I had no idea about the fires until this month, nor the class-action suits. I really liked the car and wouldn't have ever guessed such a fate lay in store for it. Now it's a question of whether this is a case of negligence on the part of the dealership (which my insurance company is currently investigating) or a defect from Hyundai (my car, like many others being affected, was built in the Montgomery, AL plant), or possibly both. At this point I'm not even sure if it'll be possible to say since the entire engine compartment was destroyed. Thank God I wasn't driving it when it happened (though I had just parked it minutes before), and luckily it was parked near the end of the parking lot and didn't damage any other cars. Some people have had these cars catch fire while parked in their home garages, come to find out - pretty terrifying ordeal.

So, I, for one, am on the side of no longer trusting these particular Hyundais possessing these types of engines. Never again will purchase a GDI engine now that I know more about them. Have now purchased a Hyundai Elantra Touring a few years older with a 2.0L beta engine which is said to be a lot safer. Am thinking in going forward that I'd rather not purchase anymore cars less than 7 years old, giving them time to develop a track record and show signs of whatever problems they may be prone to have.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Hyundai as far as the foreign car quality goes I would likely say are in the most improved class with some more quality could be top rated. As for Honda my opinion is they fell out of being to gold standard 8 to 10 years ago. I would have bought a Honda 10 years ago but not now.

Agreed.

Every mfg has their problems and Hyundai has theirs just like the others but overall their quality is on par with just about any Asian vehicle mfg. After years of being the laughing stock of the Hyundai Grp., Hyundai invested a lot of time and money in learning Toyota's LEAN mfg practices and Six Sigma. It's no coincidence their (and Kia's) quality began to improve and they also began developing some of their own engines and transmission. Which is no small feat engineering and R&D cost wise.

Their Genesis brand gets consistently good reviews and I hear they're a blast to drive. Motor Trend just did a review of a Korean spec GV80, it's a crossover from Genesis ($50k est.) due out later this year... and they loved it

Originally Posted by BackToReality
Mine was a 2015 Hyundai Sonata SE, purchased at 71000 miles (last odometer reading just over 92000 miles), and it caught fire shortly after being parked 2 weeks ago. Hence why I am on this forum (and similar sites) searching for answers. Am certainly not highly knowledgeable when it comes to cars and have learned more about engines in the last 2 weeks than ever before.

Mine had a 2.4 L GDI Theta II engine. Seemed to run well during the 1.75 years I owned it. Then the oil light began flashing on and off intermittently in December 2019. Checked the oil a few times and it always appeared to be full (last oil change was in Sept. 2019 at 88,332 miles). Booked an appointment at the local certified Hyundai dealership to have the oil light issue looked into and to undergo recall work (had one recall notice pertaining to the engine, bill says "ECM & CLUS UPD") right after the holidays. Dealership claimed it was leaking oil and wanted to change out the valve cover gasket, which I agreed to. Drove it home later and began noticing a burning smell over the weekend (friend said it was burning oil), so called and left a message telling them I needed to bring it back in first thing on Monday since the car obviously wasn't fixed. I drove it very little over the weekend and kept an eye on the oil level. Oil pressure light never came back on, nor did any other light illuminate on the dash. Parked it Sunday evening after a short little drive home from my side job (in city, not taken on the highway, less than 12 minutes commute) and headed to the grocery store in my boyfriend's car only to see it smoldering when we got back about an hour later.

This experience has thoroughly blown my mind and prompted me to learn what I'm able about these engines and similar problems others have been experiencing with Hyundais and Kias. I had no idea about the fires until this month, nor the class-action suits. I really liked the car and wouldn't have ever guessed such a fate lay in store for it. Now it's a question of whether this is a case of negligence on the part of the dealership (which my insurance company is currently investigating) or a defect from Hyundai (my car, like many others being affected, was built in the Montgomery, AL plant), or possibly both. At this point I'm not even sure if it'll be possible to say since the entire engine compartment was destroyed. Thank God I wasn't driving it when it happened (though I had just parked it minutes before), and luckily it was parked near the end of the parking lot and didn't damage any other cars. Some people have had these cars catch fire while parked in their home garages, come to find out - pretty terrifying ordeal.

So, I, for one, am on the side of no longer trusting these particular Hyundais possessing these types of engines. Never again will purchase a GDI engine now that I know more about them. Have now purchased a Hyundai Elantra Touring a few years older with a 2.0L beta engine which is said to be a lot safer. Am thinking in going forward that I'd rather not purchase anymore cars less than 7 years old, giving them time to develop a track record and show signs of whatever problems they may be prone to have.

I love my Kia and it's been trouble free for the nearly 170k miles I've had it but I'll admit that there's like a 4 or 5yr period where those Theta2 engines are "no bueno" and it seems, from my reading on the Kia/Hyundai forums it's around 80k miles on avg that the problems show up. Thankfully I have a different engine in my ride..I personally have no problem recommending the Lambda engine and Hyundai 5sp shiftmatic tranny from that Alabama shop around that same time but I would stay away from the Theta2's that came out of Huntsville during the early/mid 2010's. I know, a lot of help that does you now. Sorry for what you're having to go through..☹ï¸

Fwiw, that Beta2 (-i believe) engine you have now was mfg in SK and can easily do 200k or more miles if cared for properly. Very reliable engine...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Fwiw, that Beta engine you have now can easily do 200k or more if cared for properly.

That's my hope. Am actively trying to learn about this latest car and how best to care for it going forward. The days of routine oil changes and following dealership/repair shop recommendations without much scrutiny are past and no longer sufficient.

Fwiw, that Beta engine you have now can easily do 200k or more if cared for properly.

That's my hope. Am actively trying to learn about this latest car and how best to care for it going forward. The days of routine oil changes and following dealership/repair shop recommendations without much scrutiny are past and no longer sufficient.

Live and learn, right? I'm pretty sure you have the Beta2 (I updated my post) in your 2011 and that was the last of the Beta's so it was well refined and had all the bugs worked out from previous models. Which overall the Beta's weren't a horrible engine. I recall 53' Stude, a BITOG member, did a drain and fill for a lady friend on her Sonata, I believe it was like the same model year but not 100% certain on that. The Sonata had well over 200k miles if my memory serves me correct and ran just fine..no big issues and. I wouldn't have a problem buying a used Beta2 if someone had all the receipts showing it had been cared for properly.

Last edited:
Live and learn, right? I'm pretty sure you have the Beta2 (I updated my post) in your 2011 and that was the last of the Beta's so it was well refined and had all the bugs worked out from previous models. Which overall the Beta's weren't a horrible engine. I recall 53' Stude, a BITOG member, did a drain and fill for a lady friend on her Sonata, I believe it was like the same model year but not 100% certain on that. The Sonata had well over 200k miles if my memory serves me correct and ran just fine..no big issues and. I wouldn't have a problem buying a used Beta2 if someone had all the receipts showing it had been cared for properly.

It's all a gamble, so far as I can see. But yes, learning what I can throughout this process. Certainly wouldn't recommend for my own loved ones to buy a Hyundai or Kia within those questionable years though. Too risky, IMO. Especially considering Hyundai & Kia execs' response on such matters.

It's all a gamble, so far as I can see. But yes, learning what I can throughout this process. Certainly wouldn't recommend for my own loved ones to buy a Hyundai or Kia within those questionable years though. Too risky, IMO. Especially considering Hyundai & Kia execs' response on such matters.

Yeah, i think Kia/Hyundai has bungled the Theta2 issue horribly. It's confounding, they worked so hard to improve their image and reputation and they've spent a lot of that capital, IMO, on how they've dealt with this. Good luck on your new (to you) ride, assuming that (beta) engine recvd proper maintenance from its previous owner it should last you a good time longer. ...

Hyundai and quality -- DO NOT GO HAND IN HAND. Neighbors car engine drops 3 cylinders -- good friend of mines 2011 Sonata 2.4L with 96K drops multiple cylinders. I would not trust Hyundai further than I can spit. Just my opinion -- that is all.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Hyundai and quality -- DO NOT GO HAND IN HAND. Neighbors car engine drops 3 cylinders -- good friend of mines 2011 Sonata 2.4L with 96K drops multiple cylinders. I would not trust Hyundai further than I can spit. Just my opinion -- that is all.

What a bunch of hogwash...........

Keep us posted as the miles pile up on that German engineering you own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

What a bunch of hogwash...........

Keep us posted as the miles pile up on that German engineering you own.

Truth hurts --- tuff [censored]!!!!

Well, you know what they say about opinions......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back