Another reminder why I always change my own oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by Leo99
I wrench my oil filters on. Better to be a little tight than to leak.

Been changing my own oil for over 30 years. Oil filters always hand tightened. No leaks ever. Spin on by hand until gasket makes contact then another 3/4 turn. Good to go.

Do the same here. 3/4 turn after the gasket makes contact with the filter base, the heat of the engine causes the gasket to swell slightly to help seal it up. I have a fairly good grip after all those years in the quick lube business. I can twist the oil filter off bare handed on my truck when I remove it.

For those suggesting to drive a screwdriver through the filter, its risky. I've had several brought to me over the years on a tow truck after the owner drove a screw driver through the filter and nicked the threads on filter mount. That scenario ultimately locks the filter down and you won't spin it off unless the threaded base comes out with the filter.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I get my filter tight by hand, then I snug it just a bit with the oil filter wrench.

Yep, close to a quarter turn with a filter wrench, after hand-tightening.

Hand tight is never the rule because it depends on how strong you are and based on location, what access you have to it to get some torque going by hand. Now, IF you're a strong guy with good access, hand tightening could be tight enough, especially if wearing clean rubber gloves for good grip, but wrench is the way to be sure you didn't leave it too loose.

Screwdriver through it isn't risky if you just use some common sense on where to stab it, towards the bottom obviously. If you can't get a good swing on it to stab through, drill a hole first, or of course, just buy the filter wrench already. They aren't expensive.

Originally Posted by ammolab
Originally Posted by tiger862
The general rule for changing out an oil filter is after you hand tighten it, take the oil wrench and give it a quarter turn to tighten it.

Can you post a reference to that rule? I can't find any published instructions that include a wrench when installing an oil filter. Some thing other than the "error-net".

Look on oil can. Different ones have different turns. I normally do 1/4 to 1/2 with AC Delco filter I use for Impala is 1/2 to 3/4 a turn and if I remember correctly the Altima is 1/4 turn. No one ever looks at specs on filter can for install as Fram website states check on side of can for install instructions. I meant to say after gasket makes contact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by Leo99
I wrench my oil filters on. Better to be a little tight than to leak.

Been changing my own oil for over 30 years. Oil filters always hand tightened. No leaks ever. Spin on by hand until gasket makes contact then another 3/4 turn. Good to go.

Hmm, Bosch says this:

Use your hand to spin the filter all the way into the engine. If it is hard to spin it, the threads may not be lined up or you may have the wrong filter. When the oil filter has spun all the way on, use your hand to tighten another one-quarter to one-half turn. Don't use a tool to tighten the filter or it may be very difficult to remove the next time. When you have finished doing this, turn your car on and let it run for about one minute to make sure there is no oil dripping from anywhere.

Looks like I might have to start to trust hand tight in the future in my new Rav4.

Originally Posted by Hombre909
The screwdriver method works. I've used that a few times in the past on a stuck filter.

Ditto and works every time. And never mangled one but I suppose it's possible...

Just to be clear - after all of the lessons on installing oil filters - the OP hasn't even touched this filter to see what's really going on.

I've been changing oil for about 35 years and have always put the filter on hand tight and have never had a leak. I've also had to use a oil filter wrench almost every time to remove the filter.

Originally Posted by wtd
I've been changing oil for about 35 years and have always put the filter on hand tight and have never had a leak. I've also had to use a oil filter wrench almost every time to remove the filter.

Have to agree with wtd. During oci they seem to tighten a little bit on their own.

I get my filter tight by hand, then I snug it just a bit with the oil filter wrench.

This is what I do. I think it's the best practice.

Originally Posted by GMBoy

Correct! No sense hoping / praying a hand-tightened one doesn't leak. No sense having to crawl back under the vehicle, should it leak.
You / I will need a wrench to take it off months / years later anyways. May-as-well wrench it nearly a quarter-turn - right from the beginning of the OCI.

That little extra quarter-turn will not lock-in the filter. It still can be removed without extra arm strength and without damaging either the filter gasket or the mount.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Railrust
Hand tight, and if you need a wrench to get it off and don't own one? Try a large pair of water pump pliers.

This is how I did it for decades. Install as tight as I can get it by hand only. Remove with Channellock 440, the universal filter wrench, lol!

only once have I seen a leaky filter. it was a kmart brand oil filter . would have loved to cut one of those open and see whats inside.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Correct! No sense hoping / praying a hand-tightened one doesn't leak. No sense having to crawl back under the vehicle, should it leak.
You / I will need a wrench to take it off months / years later anyways. May-as-well wrench it nearly a quarter-turn - right from the beginning of the OCI.

That little extra quarter-turn will not lock-in the filter. It still can be removed without extra arm strength and without damaging either the filter gasket or the mount.

NO!, you are not supposed to use a wrench on oil filters when installing them on most cars, the firm rubber gasket is what locks the filter into place.
WHEN YOU FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS!

Installing with a wrench can make it extremely difficult to remove after installed even with a wrench because the rubber swells and expands after installation when it contacts the oil film.

Hand tight on gas engines. Tighten with a wrench on Diesel engines. That's how I've always done them.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

NO!, you are not supposed to use a wrench on oil filters when installing them on most cars, the firm rubber gasket is what locks the filter into place.
WHEN YOU FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS!

Installing with a wrench can make it extremely difficult to remove after installed even with a wrench because the rubber swells and expands after installation when it contacts the oil film.

We are only talking about 1/2 turn not tightening up tight like a nut . Just what most filter cans say - hand tight + 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Some people don't have the strength and should be using a wrench anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back