Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by spackard
From a Dave Harig (@DaveHarig) on Twitter:

Flu: 15MM Infected:9K deaths = 0.06% mortality rate with a viral reproductive factor
WuFlu: 900 infected:26 deaths = 3% mortality rate with a viral reproductive factor >3.6

Net: 50x more deadly. 3x more contagious. No vaccine. No heard immunity.

Reason to freak!

Yeah... This is no "the flu", and it's a real thing.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Like rodents, spark fear in humans and they will always rally around a leader to protect them.
Create a fear and people will rally.

No offense, but I don't think you really understand modern China, or the mindset of the average Chinese (if you're referring to the impact this will have on China). You're thinking like an American.

This is the worst possible sort of thing for the govt to retain control. People have ceded all of their rights to the govt in exchange for protection and prosperity. That's how their social contract works. Yeah, as an American, it's weird to me--but that's their system. That's why the majority of people there are totally OK with CCTV everywhere, facial recognition, and "social scores". The biggest risk of this breaking down is when bad things happen, and the average person wonders "the govt has all of the control, why aren't they fixing this!?". This is the communists' worst nightmare, which is why they're in panic mode.

If this were some small village, they've have just burned it to the ground and engaged in a massive cover-up, but Wuhan isn't some small village, and there are way too many people there with twitter and facebook, running VPN's. I realize the numbers sound small right now, but mark my words: this will present a much bigger challenge to China than the trade war. I enjoy traveling in China, and I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah I would ask the mods not to lock this thread. This will be the biggest story of 2020 and I like the spread of information that an open forum provides. So stop with the nonsense politics and hopefully the mods will just edit your nonsense post and the adults can move along with civil, non political conversation.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Yeah I would ask the mods not to lock this thread. This will be the biggest story of 2020 and I like the spread of information that an open forum provides. So stop with the nonsense politics and hopefully the mods will just edit your nonsense post and the adults can move along with civil, non political conversation.

Yeah, I didn't want to quote his post so it'd be easier to delete. Basically a site that social media won't allow on so it's asking for donations isn't really a reputable site. There's been a few companies that are already working on a vaccine and they expect to have it in a few months. So part of that 65 million prediction is for total dead in 18 months. They never had a Sars vaccine because it ended before they could do trials but they did have one they could have tried had it not ended. It's still going to be 4 months before there would be any kind of vaccine that could be tested.

China should really be clamping down on the live sales of animals. That's how it seems like these always start. I think someone claimed that it was from uncooked food, but the jump could have been made from the animal feces to humans.

Originally Posted by cjcride
Toronto Canada could have it's first case of Coronavirus

I posted that about an hour ago and it got deleted
21.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

21.gif

It didn't get deleted.

You posted it in the wrong thread. It's in the Auto Assembly thread...

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

21.gif

It didn't get deleted.

You posted it in the wrong thread. It's in the Auto Assembly thread...

I was looking at this thread when I hit post.... That's just screwy
crazy2.gif
I haven't even looked at the Auto Assembly thread.

Last edited:
I just read this:

According to a September 2019 study by Chinese scientists published in The Lancet, there are about 88,100 influenza-related deaths every year in China, with a mortality rate of between 1.6% and 2.6%. The majority of those who died as a result of the flu were aged over 60, the report said.

While the true extent of the new coronavirus is unclear, it appears to be more deadly than seasonal influenza. Of the 1,317 cases confirmed globally as of noon Saturday in China, there had been 41 deaths, a mortality rate of 3.1%.

However, that is far less deadly than related coronaviruses SARS and MERS. SARS has a mortality rate of about 10%, while MERS killed 34% of those infected.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that this flu season -- from October 1, 2019 until January 18 -- 15 to 21 million people have contracted the flu in the United States, killing somewhere between 8,200 to 20,000 people.

Also,
Canada has reported its first case of coronavirus in Toronto.

A male in his 50s tested positive for the SARS-like illness in Canada's most populous city, Ontario Chief Medical Officer of Health David Williams confirmed Saturday.

The man, who had traveled from Wuhan, China via Guangzhou, arrived in Toronto on Jan. 22 and went to Sunnybrook hospital the following day after feeling ill. The case was confirmed as a presumptive positive case. The patient is in stable condition.

Officials are seeking to determine who came in contract with the man in an effort to contain the virus, the health officials said during a press briefing Saturday in Toronto.

Well, looks like it's in North America. Hopefully, we can contain it and treat it.

We aren't going to know how this virus is doing until it gets going in other counties beside China. The long period between infection and symptoms is pretty scary. There are a lot of cases out there.

Originally Posted by hatt
We aren't going to know how this virus is doing until it gets going in other counties beside China. The long period between infection and symptoms is pretty scary. There are a lot of cases out there.

It is spreading. The biggest problem will be in countries like Vietnam who has already reported a case, Philippines, Thailand etc. who do not have the resources to manage the disease. People travel by all kinds of means and this will be the big issue.

Japan, Australia, Canada and such will handle it better.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Just by coincidence 28 Days Later was on TV tonight.
crazy2.gif

That was a good movie. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back