Removed valve cover, need to move car change oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my protege started making noises which appeared to be due to the timing belt cover coming loose and contacting one of the pulleys. After removal, which required removing the valve cover, I found the timing belt tensioner pulley failed. This means I need to do more work than intended. Normally, after removing the valve cover I would do an oil change, however, I need to move the car about a block to my garage from my parents house so I can do the timing belt job next week. Should I change the oil and change again after the timing belt, or should I just move the car and do the oil after the timing belt?

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
Slap the valve cover back on and drive it a block. Do what needs to be done with new gaskets , then change the oil if needed. Try not to over think it.,,,

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Wait til repairs are done then change oil.

+1

I've never connected removing the valve cover with changing the oil. I don't understand the connection.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by mazdamonky
Normally, after removing the valve cover I would do an oil change

Why? Is it due for one?

Originally Posted by Leo99
I've never connected removing the valve cover with changing the oil. I don't understand the connection.

My understanding has always been removing the valve cover introduces extra contaminates to the top of the engine/engine oil and oil should be changed.

It is about due for an oil change. Its been around 8000 miles since I last changed oil. It burns a quart at an average of 1k miles depending on driving. Mostly changing to change the filter. Probably doing a valve seal job while I am in there to try to reduce the oil burn.

Change the oil then hook it up to a donkey to pull to your place, then change the oil, then have donkey pull it to your place, then change the oil, then unhook the donkey, then change the oil, then send the donkey home then change the oil then do the timing belt then change the oil.

... or just move it home, do the timing belt, then change the oil once since it only needs it once.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Normally, after removing the valve cover I would do an oil change

Why? Is it due for one?

Originally Posted by Leo99

My understanding has always been removing the valve cover introduces extra contaminates to the top of the engine/engine oil and oil should be changed.

Well, I usually wash the engine before pulling the cover, but anything that falls on top of the engine isn't coming out with that oil change anyway.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Change the oil then hook it up to a donkey to pull to your place, then change the oil, then have donkey pull it to your place, then change the oil, then unhook the donkey, then change the oil, then send the donkey home then change the oil then do the timing belt then change the oil.

... or just move it home, do the timing belt, then change the oil once since it only needs it once.
smile.gif

This is the only reasonable solution.

Slap the valve cover back on and drive it a block. Do what needs to be done with new gaskets , then change the oil if needed. Try not to over think it.,,,

This. Then run it with the old oil and filter to allow the filter to pick up any contaminants then change the oil and filter.

Just put the cover back on and drive it where you are changing the belt. Its not going to hurt a thing. Unless your belt comes off due to the failed tensioner.

Last edited:

Yep .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back