Carburetor Tuning with Wide Band O2 Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to fine tune my Holley carburetor with a wide band O2 sensor setup. Does anyone have experience with these? Any recommendations on what works well? I was reading on the Innovate LM-2 and it looks like it'd would work. I like that it's not permanently mounted like a gauge and that I could use it on more than one car. I am not sure how much the data logging would be useful since I don't have a way for it to read my RPM or any other variables. It's reviews also seem spotty and it only has a 6 month warranty.

Any suggestions appreciated.

A good friend of mine and I tuned an '85 Mustang GT with a pretty warmed over 302HO in a car he owned years back. It was a learning experience for both of us and we used the Innovate setup. We did a fair bit of data logging but once the jet size was right, tuning the accelerator pump size was the most time consuming part. This was a Holley HP750 with mechanical secondaries.

I am not interested in a fuel injection conversion. I like carbs, and I have this one dialed in pretty well with traditional methods of plug reading and using a vacuum gauge, but i know I can get it better with an A/F reading.

Malo83, thanks for the link, good reading and details there, although I prefer not to mount the gauge in my car permanently.

Overkill, do you remember what Innovate setup you used? The LM-2 looks decent, but reviews suggest it's reliability is far from good. I think my accelertor pump circuits needs some work too.

Originally Posted by Oldswagon
I am not interested in a fuel injection conversion. I like carbs, and I have this one dialed in pretty well with traditional methods of plug reading and using a vacuum gauge, but i know I can get it better with an A/F reading.

Malo83, thanks for the link, good reading and details there, although I prefer not to mount the gauge in my car permanently.

Overkill, do you remember what Innovate setup you used? The LM-2 looks decent, but reviews suggest it's reliability is far from good. I think my accelertor pump circuits needs some work too.

I believe it was the LC-1, now superseded by the LC-2. I had an HP Laptop that I had it connected to in the passenger seat while he operated the vehicle.

Oldswagon, are you tuning the Holley on an Oldsey? I have an original 4-4-2.
Also, I sent you a message; I have an unused LM-2.

No, I don't have my Oldsmobile wagon anymore. It was destroyed. I was running a Qjet on it when I had it though, one of my favorite carbs. The Holley is on a Torino, but I always am tinkering with old American cars with carbs.

I didn't get any PM?

Originally Posted by Oldswagon
No, I don't have my Oldsmobile wagon anymore. It was destroyed. I was running a Qjet on it when I had it though, one of my favorite carbs. The Holley is on a Torino, but I always am tinkering with old American cars with carbs.

I didn't get any PM?

I just sent you a PM regarding an Innovate LM-2.
I also know really good carb guys.

I'm surprised to see something with a carb has an 02 sensor. But I guess something in the 80s would be right in that transition area.

What car is this?

Pretty sure the OP is talking adding a O2 and AFR gauge to tune his carb. There is no existing O2 sensor.

I've also contemplated doing to the same with my Dodge truck, which also runs really good but I'm always on a mission to perfect it. I'll be interested to hear about the experience if Oldswagon posts it.

I use a cheap AEM wideband to tune my Holley 770 and 870 on my '79 Ranchero, it has been VERY reliable, have had it 7 years with no issues. It has helped me achieve extra power and MPG out of my 472 BBF/C6 combo, with no OD, I got 15.2 mpg(doing 70-75mph) on a long interstate trip from central Florida to Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, Ga and this is with an aftermarket Comp Cams 280H magnum camshaft(not exactly a mileage enhancer). The biggest changes I made to my Holleys was reducing the idle feed restrictor orifice size, decreasing the main jet 1 size and tuning the transfer slot. Go here for in-depth Holley carb tuning https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/racingfuelsystems/index.php?sid=5e69f507a49c8bccc1391b35f6bcd192 VERY helpful folks there! Hope this helps.

if i remember right on a Holley one jet number i equal to to 2 % change. but Carters dont go by % of change. they just have dia sizes stamped. but i have done the math to see % of change. just remember on a Carter if you change from .060 to .063 is way different than going from .100 to .103.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back