Has anyone tinted a dash cluster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dash cluster is too bright on low, it's basically two 6" circles an inch or so sunk into the dash plastic.

How difficult of a job is this for a beginner?

I find today's bright dashboards really distracting while driving backroads at night. I don't need to see any of the instruments while struggling with crummy rental car headlights, to see hidden deer or the next turn. Some have a feature when the "radio" display can be turned off, yet the backlight is still on, UGH. Note: LCD displays often let a lot of light through, despite the blank display.

Short of covering it with a crumpled up shirt, I've not tried anything else. I'd prefer a simple "off" option.

Why not try a dark tint "static cling" see through window shade?

Maybe not this one, but something darker?

https://www.amazon.com/KwikShade-Quality-Window-Sunshade-Windshield/dp/B07DNZV68J

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
I find today's bright dashboards really distracting while driving backroads at night. I don't need to see any of the instruments while struggling with crummy rental car headlights, to see hidden deer or the next turn. Some have a feature when the "radio" display can be turned off, yet the backlight is still on, UGH. Note: LCD displays often let a lot of light through, despite the blank display.

Short of covering it with a crumpled up shirt, I've not tried anything else. I'd prefer a simple "off" option.

Why not try a dark tint "static cling" see through window shade?

Maybe not this one, but something darker?

https://www.amazon.com/KwikShade-Quality-Window-Sunshade-Windshield/dp/B07DNZV68J

One of my favourite features of my 2020 SRT that neither our 2019 truck nor my 2016 SRT had is the separation of the auto beams from the dash dimmer. Typically when the wipers would come on or dusk hit and the auto lamps would trigger, the dash lights would drop to whatever the dimmer setting was, which for me, is as low as it goes. This would make some things very difficult to read when there is still ambient light. On the 2020, that doesn't happen. The dash lights stay standard brightness until it's almost black out and then drop down, it's fantastic!

To speak to the OP's subject line, yes, once, many decades ago. A friend of mine installed a new radio in a client's Avanti and the dial light was red. The client liked the look but wanted all of the bulbs to match the radio dial. We took out the instrument cluster and dyed / painted the bulbs. I think we just got it far enough out from the dash that we could reach the bulbs. It was easy enough to do in the day.

I do not know the difficulty today, but it's not anything that I'd attempt. I like the static cling suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back