unthinkable problem after oil change

I did an oil change on Thursday night to my RAV4 Hybrid. I used Rotella Gas Truck 0w20, since I got it at a good price with rebate. The oil passed Toyota's requirement of it needing to be ILSAC GF-5, so the gas truck label on the bottle didn't phase me one bit. Yesterday, as my wife was driving it, the vehicle was doing strange things. After a while, there just seemed to be more room. When she got work and went to park in her normal spot, the parking spaces seemed smaller. At first, she just thought it was just a delusion. But she only realized that something did happen when she got out. The vehicle was further from the ground. She got out and noticed the back half turned into a pickup bed. Now my wife is short, so she was not amused with this problem. She told me when coming home, that I needed to put running boards on the RAV4, so she can get in and out better. There goes the cost savings of that oil change. And on top of that the MPGs went down. I should have listened to some advise here on BITOG forum of not to use this oil. Those labels must mean something. Well, installing running boards is going to cost a few hundred dollars. But them I got into thinking, if a gas truck oil, turned my RAV4 into a pickup truck, maybe a Hybrid oil will turn it back to its original form. I saw Pennzoil has a hybrid oil, you can get on Amazon for https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550053456-Hybrid-Synthetic-0W-16/dp/B07XPWDP1M, six pack for $58.69. But it is 0w16, but the RAV4 calls for 0w20. I saw Valvoline released a Hybrid oil in 0w20 form, but don't see any for sale yet. So I may have wait for that. What do you think? If it changed that fast, maybe the engine could handle the 0w16 till it changes, then I can change it to TGMO 0w20 or Mobil 1 0w20. This would much cheaper than running boards for sure.

6/10 humor...…..
lol.gif

OMG! I had the same problem, but I was almost hurt in an accident. Luckily I wasnt going too fast at the time.

I did an oil change I ran Catsol 4T motorcycle oil in my 1965 Buick - just to get some more zinc for the camshaft - but when I was leaving a softball game at my Highschool ballfield parking, lot the two right side wheels fell off the car !

I guess we have to start paying MORE attention to the pictures on the product, and not just those certifications that are essentially and
now obviously meaningless!

Originally Posted by Kira
So you're saying if you had used vegetable oil instead of Rotella Gas Truck, your RAV-4 would've changed into an ear of corn?
You can try that and report back here how it went. One traumatic experience is enough for me.

Drug dealers are getting crafty with their marketing. A free 5-quart jug of Rotella Gas Truck when you order 4 hits of LSD.

Keep doing that and it will eventually grow into this:
[Linked Image]

Hey, I wonder if that new Hybrid oil will make the GTO get 45 mpg?

These moderators, they sure don't believe in the online posters. I had 2 online postors who didn't believe me, it needs to be moved to humor. And guess what, the moderator believes them. What a sham. We need to start a Me Too movement here on BITOG. You have to believe the online poster.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Keep doing that and it will eventually grow into this:
[Linked Image]

Hey, I wonder if that new Hybrid oil will make the GTO get 45 mpg?

Boy, I don't want that. My wife will surely refuse to drive that. She is already shook over this.

I realize I now have bigger problems. I sure ain't going to buy that Pennzoil, since it is owned by Shell, let alone it is not the right oil for the RAV4. This morning my wife's back is now really hurting. She told me it really clunked upwards while she was driving. She thought wasn't that bad yesterday, but a lot of time, pain shows up later. Forgot to mention that earlier. So we made a doctors appointment to have that checked out and called a consumer attorney about this. He told me, I shall not do anything to the RAV4, as we need to keep it for evidence. So no trying the hybrid oils to see if that will work at all. The attorney told me, we have a good case since there were no warning labels on the oil bottles. It may sound as if we could get enough of money to go buy a Lexus to replace this RAV4 instead. I believe that the route to take.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I'm guessing this thread should be moved to humor...

I will respectfully agree with you sir
smile.gif

when I read this , my first thought was ….he must be smoking something other than cigars

Hit me up with some of that moly powder you're snorting. Must be good stuff to trip like that.

Back