2002 cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2002 dodge 3500 Cummins with 102,000 miles.
I'm wanting to run synthetic oil in it and looking for recommendations.
been considering rotella T6.

Delvac 1/ESP 5W40 would be pretty good too (that's what I use in mine). When I had my '02 Cummins Ram, it started so easily I just put whatever name brand 15W40 was on sale in it & ran it! Also,
welcome2.gif

i have my 01 2500 since 90k miles and been putting M1 Delvac 1300 15W-40 with no problem. I change it every 5k and dont worry about anything. If/When i switch to full synthetic i'll go with M1 Delvac ESP.

welcome2.gif

lurk here long or just getting started?

It's OK to want to run a syn. But FWIW if your OFCI is going to be anything along the lines of normal, then you don't need to spend that kind of money. The Cummins doesn't need anything special to run for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
welcome2.gif

It's OK to want to run a syn. But FWIW if your OFCI is going to be anything along the lines of normal, then you don't need to spend that kind of money. The Cummins doesn't need anything special to run for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Agreed, A syn blend like DELO XLE is a great value and great performer. Same with Rotella T5 if you wanted to stick with that.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

welcome2.gif

Its not a daily driver so it won't get oil changes often so why not put something good in it since I plan on keeping it around awhile.

You're lucky to find such an old Cummins Dodge with those low miles. Just run a good 15w40. I would suggest the Ford Motorcraft 15w40 that you can get at any Walmart. Or Rotella T4.
Does your truck have a fuel pressure gauge or warning light? Fuel lift pump failures is the Achilles heel of this generation truck. Poor fuel pressure can cause problems with the VP44 injection pump.

Last edited:
My 2011 Ram 3500 Laramie likes the Rotella T6. It's a good oil and easy to find. I use the T6 year round, you get the protection needed in all climate tempatures.

Yes I have a edge programmer on it mainly for all of the gauges. I was lucky finding a clean older Cummins and with service records every 3 thousand miles since new.

If you want to be REALLY nice to it, find some Fluid Film or similar and coat the bottom of the truck with it, especially the frame-I've seen a few Cummins powered plow trucks from the '94-'02 era with frames rusted through & broken. The engine will outlast the truck no matter what 15W40 or other oil you use in it, but watching the VP44 injection pump & your lift transfer pump for issues with a FP gauge or indicator light is also a good move, my IP failed under warranty on my '02.

Them darn VP44s...

I'd P-Pump that '02 personally, but that's getting away from the choice of earlz in this thread, I suppose.

Originally Posted by coondog
welcome2.gif

welcome2.gif

Its not a daily driver so it won't get oil changes often so why not put something good in it since I plan on keeping it around awhile.

Because conventional over synthetic won't matter for longevity of the engine. They provide the same amount of protection either way. The "more protection" theory is a long disproven one unless you plan on running pretty long OCI's, but if spending more coin makes you feel better, by all means. It's your money. If it were me, and I do this on my current diesel (see my signature), I would use conventional Supertech from Walmart or Traveller form Tractor Supply and not look back. I have a UOA on here to prove the efficacy of "cheaper" oil under severe duty conditions. I have been running Walmart and Tractor Supply conventional for years now with very very good results and my pocketbook and brain thank me.

The thing is, this question never fails to open up a box of opinions that have been given time and time again. Bottom line, do what makes you feel good if $$ is no object. Most of us will go that route anyways. I used to do Amsoil with bypass filtration and the whole nine yards. Thank God I got off that bandwagon and put down the Kool-Aid. Sold the bypass, saved myself a good amount of money going conventional Delvac, and put another 100k on that truck before selling it....all on conventional diesel rated oil. Use oil rated for your application, change at 5k, and sleep well. The Cummins is easy peasy on oil. Any one will do.

On edit: here ya go...and keep in mind the 7.3 is harder on oil than the Cummins will ever be

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5078675/1

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ofelas
Them darn VP44s...

I'm on my 3rd one on the 2001. The original lasted 199000 miles, then one morning, I started the truck, and it died in about 3 seconds. Deader than a doornail. The internal circuit board failed.
Then I bought a remanned one from Blue Chip Diesel with a new circuit board. It lasted 370000 miles, then started winking out. So I bought another pump from Blue Chip, and that's what it's running now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back