Anyone Here Have a 9-Shot Rough Rider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
If so ... when the cylinder is rotated by hand (with hammer half cocked and side gate open) does the cylinder index and line up each hole in the cylinder with the extractor rod like on the 6-shots?

I looked at a 9-shot today and the cylinder holes would not index and line up like I've seen on the 6-shots. This is the first 9-shot I've handled, so maybe that's how they are - ?. I called Heritage and the person I spoke with didn't know.

I'd certainty think the cylinder should index regardless if it's a 6-shot or 9-shot.

Zee0Six
I wouldn't know. It would seem like it would. I take it that you are shopping for a reliable.22 revolver. In the past, .22 revolvers were very popular and many barrel lengths and capacities could be found. Not so much today. If I were in the market for a new .22, I would go with a semiautomatic. If you are really settled on a revolver, check out pawn shops for good used ones. Charter Arms, Ruger, Rossi, Taurus can be found.

No. The 9 shot does not line up like the 6 shot to unload. You just have to line it up by hand.

Originally Posted by Sonic
No. The 9 shot does not line up like the 6 shot to unload. You just have to line it up by hand.

Yep, after doing more Googling I found a couple of chat board threads describing the same thing. Apparently Heritage uses the same frame for both the 6-shot and 9-shot, so the load/unload gate is in the same location and therefore not optimized for the 9-shot cylinder.

The automatic cylinder indexingvas it's rotated is one feature I liked on the Heritage, so the 9-shot making it so you have to mess around with manually aligning the cylinder holes with the gate window and ejection rod is a negative for me.

Originally Posted by MParr
Zee0Six
I wouldn't know. It would seem like it would. I take it that you are shopping for a reliable.22 revolver. In the past, .22 revolvers were very popular and many barrel lengths and capacities could be found. Not so much today. If I were in the market for a new .22, I would go with a semiautomatic. If you are really settled on a revolver, check out pawn shops for good used ones. Charter Arms, Ruger, Rossi, Taurus can be found.

Yes, I know there are better .22LR revolvers out there, but I want a cheap plinker SA revolver with a .22 Mag cylinder option. Used guns in stores aren't much cheaper than new one on sale from what I'm seeing.

I've got semi auto .22s, so want a revolver in .22LR/.22 Mag.

I like the 1800s style old Colt SA of the Heritage. I'd go for the Ruger Wrangler if it had the .22 Mag cylinder option. Not sure I like all the Cerakote finish on the Wrangler that much. The revolver reviewers actually say the trigger action on the Heritage is better than the Wrangler, probably due to the SA Colt design.

The Heritage may be inexpensive but I really can't find any fault with the one I own.

I had attached some pics. Not sure why they are not showing up.

357A9586-8099-44B2-ACF3-2D32F795D542.jpeg

Last edited:
Sonic, both those revolvers look good. How old is your Rough Rider? Seems the older ones might be nicer than the new ones.

I found this YoueTube video of a guy shooting and unloading a 9-shot Heritage. Go to time 7:00 and you can hear and see the cylinder clicking into place, and he hits the extractor rod and it looks to line up each time.
21.gif

I agree. The video makes that pistol look and sound like the opposite of what I've read about the 9 shot models. I only commented on it earlier due to having read about them online. I've never actually handled a 9 shot to play with.

My 6 shot works flawlessly and I've had it for over eleven years. I would hope Heritage didn't change anything about them. I know people say the finish on the rough rider isn't great but mine has held up well. I also take care of my firearms. For around $150 or whatever I paid, I didn't expect a Ruger single six. But after buying the Heritage I never really felt the need to go get one. Single action isn't for everybody but I think there's something cool about them. Only own 2 but may add to that.

Sonic - The 9-shot I looked at a couple days ago defiantly didn't line up the cylinder holes with the ejector rod when the cylinder clicked into position while rotating. Maybe there was something wrong with that one (?). But I too found some talk on couple of rim fire chat boards about the 9-shot not indexing the cylinder with the ejector rod, so it was surprising to see it doing it in the video I posted above. The store I looked at the 9-shot said they are getting another one in next week so maybe I'll see if that one acts the same.

I might just go get a 6-shot Rough Rider at the local store which currently has the 6.5 inch barreled .22 LR Rough Riders on sale for $99, and then I can get the 22 Mag cylinder for $30 from Heritage (with free shipping). I've learned that shooting .22 Mag out of the 4.75 inch barrel hardly gets you much more velocity over a .22 LR, but the longer 6.5 inch barrel gives better .22 Mag results. The .22 Mag rounds typically have slower burning powder, so it does poorly in short barrels. Don't know if anyone makes .22 Mag rounds with faster burning powder specifically for short barreled pistols.

i have a 4.5" nine shot heritage roughrider, as well as ruger single six, wrangler and bearcat single action 22 revolvers. unfortunately i'm away now and can't definitively answer your decent question. as memory serves me, the 9 shot hrr does need some cylinder-fiddling to eject spent rounds. the hrr is decent 22lr plinker, however shooting a sleeve of 22wmr heats up the barrel quite a bit and its screws loosen. shooting nine rounds of 22lr is a more pleasant experience. i shoot 22wmr out of my hrr much less than i anticipated. with a 4.5" barrel i'm unsure if i'm getting enough oomph to match the hotter and pricier flashbang. in retrospect if my 9 shot hrr only came with a 22lr cylinder for $30 less i would be perfectly content. perhaps if you wish to shoot more 22wmr then a 6.5" barrel would be better?

that said one of my ruger ss is actually a 5.5" "single eight." it came to me from gb.com used, cheap and ugly but mechanically great, just missing its 22wmr cylinder. i bought a replacement 8 shot 22wmr cylinder from midway. $20 of gunsmith-smoothing and 100 break-in rounds later, this piece is an awesomely accurate 22wmr shooter. i will never let it go. for $300 total, my used ruger single 8 is light years ahead of the $200 new hrr 9 shot. all that said, there is nothing wrong with just easily getting a new hrr, but with some patience and $100 more one can came up with a better, stouter, forever 22wmr plinker.

So I went down to the local Coastal Farm & Ranch store who had the 6.5 inch barrel 6-shot on sale for $99. They had about 30 in stock, so I ask the gal if she could bring out 3 or 4 and I'd pick the best one. She didn't mind me looking them all over. Found one that passed my "QA inspections", so got it. Will order the .22 Mag cylinder from Heritage for $29 with free shipping. Can't beat the prices. Should be happy with this as a beater plinker. I originally wanted a 4.75 inch barrel model because they look better IMO, but the 6.5 inch barrel will probably be a bit more accurate (a larger sight radius) and the .22 Mags will have higher velocity out the longer barrel. Only the 6.5 inch .22 LR only model was on sale for $99.

great deal zeeosix! given that you are more interested in shooting 22wmr your choice of the $99 6.5" hrr is spot on. i chose a 4.5" hrr for looks and handiness, it fit nicely in a locked ammo box that i kept at my elderly mom's apartment to have something at hand during my overnight stays. while i had a couple of boxes of handgun specific 22wmr ammo, mine was loaded with cci stingers for protection. keep an eye out for loose screws after shooting 100 rounds. and please give us a range report.

Will do jstert ... thanks for the heads up. I'll check all screws for tightness after initial test out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back