Torn filter that's NOT a motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Not saying it's not possible that OP's filter was indeed damaged during use, but as a general observation/question: I think it's certainly likely that 1. some of these filters do have brittle media, and 2. when people (in general, not directed at OP) start fingering pleats looking for tears, actually create some of them. 53' Stude, you cut the highest number here on the board that I know of- have you been able to tear media by pulling pleats apart? The failures I believe without question are the ones where they are visible without moving/stretching/pulling the media around to look for issues.

OP, thanks for pics. Always good to see a variety of filters cut!

Very well said and great points. I have indeed torn filter media by pulling pleats apart for inspection. I have done it before on a proselect of this same number. This one in particular was visible with my pocket flashlight upon visual inspection. I did pull spread the pleats to make it easier to capture on camera.

Not saying it's not possible that OP's filter was indeed damaged during use, but as a general observation/question: I think it's certainly likely that 1. some of these filters do have brittle media, and 2. when people (in general, not directed at OP) start fingering pleats looking for tears, actually create some of them. 53' Stude, you cut the highest number here on the board that I know of- have you been able to tear media by pulling pleats apart? The failures I believe without question are the ones where they are visible without moving/stretching/pulling the media around to look for issues.

I haven't ever tried to pull media apart to make a tear honestly

These low tiered WIX filters do seem to be extremely fragile when cut open. I've never been a fan and I recall similar issues since I've been here.

When I emailed WIX, they ordered their paper filters accordingly.

ProSelect
Silver/ Oreilly MG
Gold

I'm assuming the ProTec found on RA is equal to the ProSelect, but I'm not sure. I only run the Silver and Gold filters personally.

Not saying it's not possible that OP's filter was indeed damaged during use, but as a general observation/question: I think it's certainly likely that 1. some of these filters do have brittle media, and 2. when people (in general, not directed at OP) start fingering pleats looking for tears, actually create some of them......The failures I believe without question are the ones where they are visible without moving/stretching/pulling the media around to look for issues.

Well said Subie, agree on all points. I've thought similar many times with reading and viewing dissection posts, but easier to agree with a post than originate one.
56.gif

Cut open and posted my fair share of filters since joining this site, and imo and in my observation they're either good or they're not. Trying to subjectively rate media strength by for example pulling pleats apart and make judgment what it may or may not do at some point not found in my dissection posts. I might note media strength if I cut media off centertube to expose louvers, but otherwise filter functioned as designed, or not.

Here OP saw tear with flashlight inspection, so a failure of a jobber tier filter at an fci it should have covered. I see nothing in overall negative in construction to account for the tear. So paraphrasing an oft used expression by another frequenter this sub forum, all brand filters have some failures from time to time. 'In my observation' that comment generally speaking references one brand only, but I digress. 'Appears' the case here. While not excusing result, my expectations for jobber tier filter like topic not as high as mid or upper tier filters eg., Wix/Napa Gold, XP/Plat. Just for accuracy, topic filter is a Wix made for Napa PS. Not Puro made.

Echoing, thanks for c&p.

I think you have a point on the pleats being brittle, but I've pulled enough cartridge filters and prodded, poked, and pulled them apart to come to expect strong pleats even after 10k miles. If it is going to stand up to an engine's oil pressure getting around 70+psi and at over 220 degrees, it shouldn't come apart easily in your hands.

The hardest filter pleats to tear apart that I've experienced is in the Fram Ultra 11665 out of my Pentastar. I tore one apart that came out of my Jeep after 7k+ miles and I had to use vice grips and pliers to get anything to tear. It uses what looks like some kind of polymer or monofiliment mesh backing and it is STRONG. Here's a couple pics...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
Here OP saw tear with flashlight inspection, so a failure of a jobber tier filter at an fci it should have covered. I see nothing in overall negative in construction to account for the tear.

I know I would be concerned too if I chopped a filter and found a tear without fingering the pleats but I doubt I'd lose my mind over it... but we've still yet to see a single engine that failed because of a torn filter. We here on the board C&P, and fret over oil details... and even if we extrapolate the number of failed filters seen here, the number gets quite large. And yet the engines soldier on. Now, I'm not saying that a torn filter will not result in the possibility of some slight additional wear, but... if you play the law of averages, if you do find a filter with a valid tear, you may likely never see another in your lifetime. If you do, it may be more related to the disassembly method.

But the overall takeaway here for me is: if you buy cheap filters and have a singular failure, there is very little risk not only to your engine but also of ever having another issue. So, if you're paranoid, either don't cut your filters open, or use filters with heavy-duty construction which almost guarantees that when maintenance is performed on time, your engine will be fine. All bets are off when neglect comes into the picture, though.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Here OP saw tear with flashlight inspection, so a failure of a jobber tier filter at an fci it should have covered. I see nothing in overall negative in construction to account for the tear.

I know I would be concerned too if I chopped a filter and found a tear without fingering the pleats but I doubt I'd lose my mind over it... but we've still yet to see a single engine that failed because of a torn filter. We here on the board C&P, and fret over oil details... and even if we extrapolate the number of failed filters seen here, the number gets quite large. And yet the engines soldier on. Now, I'm not saying that a torn filter will not result in the possibility of some slight additional wear, but... if you play the law of averages, if you do find a filter with a valid tear, you may likely never see another in your lifetime. If you do, it may be more related to the disassembly method.

But the overall takeaway here for me is: if you buy cheap filters and have a singular failure, there is very little risk not only to your engine but also of ever having another issue. So, if you're paranoid, either don't cut your filters open, or use filters with heavy-duty construction which almost guarantees that when maintenance is performed on time, your engine will be fine. All bets are off when neglect comes into the picture, though.

Yeah we've been using the Infamous FL820S oil filters on our Crown Vic which now has 350,000 miles with no issues and will likely continue with this oil filter til the vehicle gets retired this year due to severe frame rust.

350,000 miles using MC 820 filters
Good for you !ðŸ‘
Apparently something good about those filters !

I know I would be concerned too if I chopped a filter and found a tear without fingering the pleats but I doubt I'd lose my mind over it... but we've still yet to see a single engine that failed because of a torn filter.

Ford does warn that torn filters can deposit media down steam in the engine and cause problems. It's just wise to no use filters that have a record of tearing media.

Video jumps to time 35 seconds where they talk about it, and show torn media at time 54 seconds: https://youtu.be/FmRCw4DnvFM?t=35

Originally Posted by kschachn
OilStasher that's quite the signature you have there. What's it mean?

It apparently means you're a fanboy who won't live it down in EVERY single thread you find me in. Independent opinions clearly grind your gears. Do I harass you for having 13,000+ posts and apparently no life? No. So what's your deal?
21.gif

Edit: not intended to be viewed as bickering. Just asking a question as kschachn did.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilStasher
It apparently means you're a fanboy who won't live it down in EVERY single thread you find me in. Independent opinions clearly grind your gears. Do I harass you for having 13,000+ posts and apparently no life? No. So what's your deal?
21.gif

Edit: not intended to be viewed as bickering. Just asking a question as kschachn did.

Sure.

So what does it mean? Maybe I ask because you're the one putting it out there in each and every post you make, am I not supposed to notice it? If I'm not supposed to notice it, then why make it your signature?

If you don't want someone to ask why you say something, then don't say it in the first place.

Signatures don't need any real meaning. It's a personal statement / stamp. If Helen or Moderators here have an issue with it, they will notify member Oilstasher.

You are loaded with posts here, digging into member's personal business. Your nose needs to be shortened here.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Signatures don't need any real meaning. It's a personal statement / stamp. If Helen or Moderators here have an issue with it, they will notify member Oilstasher.

You are loaded with posts here, digging into member's personal business. Your nose needs to be shortened here.

Now that's funny !!!🥴🥴🤣🤣🤣
He deserves it !!!!!🤣🤬🤣🤬🤣

21.gif

Sure.

So what does it mean? Maybe I ask because you're the one putting it out there in each and every post you make, am I not supposed to notice it? If I'm not supposed to notice it, then why make it your signature?

If you don't want someone to ask why you say something, then don't say it in the first place.

Your one of the most harassing people on this forum and I'm sure other members have noticed this as well. Are you here to harass or are you here to provide valuable information to share amongst others?

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Now that's funny !!!🥴🥴🤣🤣🤣
He deserves it !!!!!🤣🤬🤣🤬🤣

Understatement for sure.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
21.gif

Sure.

Your one of the most harassing people on this forum and I'm sure other members have noticed this as well. Are you here to harass or are you here to provide valuable information to share amongst others?

He's not in the row boat by himself

Last edited:

Then instead of making it your job to shorten my nose, you should report my posts when I dig into member's personal business. However in this instance a person's signature is not personal, it is public, and everyone reads it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back