2017 Chevy Cruze Diesel Oil

HI all..

I guess its been some time now (a few years) since ive posted on here. In those few years I acquired a new chevy cruze diesel (6 speed manual) and have just finished my last free dealership oil change using their AC Delco 5w30 Dexos 2 oil with AC filter. Have any of you had experience with this oil? Would you stick with this oil or switch?
I plan to do a UOA in the next year and am curious on the fuel dilution numbers with this cars emission system. 32,000 miles so far with 54 MPG on highway in summertime.

My 07 duramax by the way is running strong at 164,000 miles. Got a load of mobil delvac extreme 10w30 CK-4 in it right now that I plan to UOA also later this year. I scored this stuff cheap at advance auto last year.

Take care.

Extremely happy so far. Lots of low end torque and excellent MPG's. Did not come with a block heater (only Canadian cruze has one from factory I was told) but I have had zero problems with cold starts here in Michigan.

OP, how's the transmission holding up?

I heard from click baiter Scotty Kilmer that the Cruze's automatics were junk across the board
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by discountdon
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Not oil related, but how happy are you with that diesel engine ? I have never seen a Cruze diesel myself.

nor have I - didnt know they even existed!

and GM wondered why sales were low

the AC delco meets specs. from what I gather it is a south korean oil, bottled in the USA. go to gmdexos.com for the official list. I was using Valvoline MST until they removed the approvals required from the bottle. Im using Liqui moly right now.

OP, how's the transmission holding up?

I heard from click baiter Scotty Kilmer that the Cruze's automatics were junk across the board
crazy.gif

His is a manual.

Not oil related, but how happy are you with that diesel engine ? I have never seen a Cruze diesel myself.
I have a co-worker who friend got one. Can't remember if I saw one or not. Generally, Americans are not into owning diesel cars and because of that, there is a vary small market for them here. Thanks to the Olds 350 for destroying that market.

When you come to buying oil for these diesels, its pretty much you buy what you can. Yes, I would stick to DEXOS 2 oils, which they are hard to come by. You can go to a store with a big display of motor oil, and none of those oils are suitable for your vehicle. Online shopping may be your best friend in this case. There were good recommendations made above, I say, pick the one you like, or which one you can get the cheapest.

nor have I - didnt know they even existed!

I've seen a few and had a chance to actually ask an owner how he liked the vehicle. Long story short, he loved it. He said that he wished he drove longer distances to really get the benefit of a diesel over a gas engine, but he always wanted a diesel and didn't want to get a pickup so this was his pick.

I have the rare 6 speed manual... they had to get the car from New York to Michigan me for me or it was a no deal. It was a joke watching all the techs at the dealership "attempt" to drive this thing as I watched and cringed during my free oil changes.
From what I read online this trans and second gen engine should last me a long time.

I just went to Walmart near me and saw this oil. I never knew this oil was an option. It was priced way better than I paid for the ac delco oil. I will grab some next oil change.. even though I'm under warranty it's dexos 2 approved so good enough for me! Thank you all

I have a co-worker who friend got one. Can't remember if I saw one or not. Generally, Americans are not into owning diesel cars and because of that, there is a vary small market for them here. Thanks to the Olds 350 for destroying that market.

The reputation of the 70's/80's fuel-crisis diesels is probably fading... right in time for VW dieselgate to give the younger generations a bad view of diesels.

Last edited:

...because BigOil doesn't want the rest of the US to know that diesel is more efficient than gasoline, and that it is actually cheaper than gasoline to make.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by whizbyu

...because BigOil doesn't want the rest of the US to know that diesel is more efficient than gasoline, and that it is actually cheaper than gasoline to make.

^^^^ FACTS!

Back