VW 508 Spec-0w20

Originally Posted by TheIceStormof06
Originally Posted by MParr
ALL oils meeting the VW 508.00/509.00 specs have the blue-green UV dye in them.

Ok..this is the only 508.00 I've looked at so I'll take your words for it. Weird as the 504.00/507.00 have the regular color.

Yes. That's the reason all 508.00 oils are green. So VW makes sure you're using their 0W-20 508.00 spec'd oil. If its amber, they know you veered from that requirement.

When I said my oil was still amber after a couple thousand miles into this oci, I meant translucent. Not necessarily amber in color which is more of a translucent greenish. Again, Castrol Edge Professional...VW508.00 is what's in the sump from the dealership.

Thanks for sharing the black bottle pics, which definitely appear to be Mobil shaped bottles. But after more calling and web searches today, the official oil of VW/Audi remains Castrol. If a change to Mobil1 happens, I'm sure a new press release will be forthcoming. Either way, two great oil manufacturers.

Originally Posted by wemay

Ok..this is the only 508.00 I've looked at so I'll take your words for it. Weird as the 504.00/507.00 have the regular color.

Yes. That's the reason all 508.00 oils are green. So VW makes sure you're using their 0W-20 508.00 spec'd oil. If its amber, they know you veered from that requirement.

When I said my oil was still amber after a couple thousand miles into this oci, I meant translucent. Not necessarily amber in color which is more of a translucent greenish. Again, Castrol Edge Professional...VW508.00 is what's in the sump from the dealership.

Thanks for sharing the black bottle pics, which definitely appear to be Mobil bottles.

BTW, according to the MSDS, there are 50% PAO in it, shall be good stuff
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Can someone tell me if the 508 oils are supposed to be green?

Green... No, Blue!

Have you run out of your medication again kschachn ??

lol.gif

Originally Posted by dishdude
So now that we've determined all 508.00 oils are pretty much the same, has anyone found a source for low cost oil? The Tiggy is coming up on 10k and I'm thinking this is my best bet.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/oil-service-kit/g052577m2kt1/

That a pretty good price. That pretty close to what I paid at the dealership for my last oil change kit.
RM European carries Total at a reasonable price. But, adding a filter and drain plug brings it up to ECS Tuning range.
https://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/Volkswagen/2018/Tiguan-SE-Sport-Utility-20L-L4.aspx?catalogID=010
You may be able to locate 508.00/509.00 oils at a nearby lubrication distributor.

The color of the oil is from a dye. It has properties that make it show up in ultraviolet light. Blue or green or whatever color we see the oil in it's finished form. Think about your kindergarten coloring class. Blue plus yellow equals green The dye is blue, the oil is a golden color. Mix those together and what color do you get?

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing the black bottle pics, which definitely appear to be Mobil shaped bottles. But after more calling and web searches today, the official oil of VW/Audi remains Castrol. If a change to Mobil1 happens, I'm sure a new press release will be forthcoming. Either way, two great oil manufacturers.

I would be pretty upset if I was told it was Mobil 1 ESP X2 508.00 and really turned out to be Castrol. What's your source on this? I just think it's weird that the dealership no longer has any bottles showing Castrol and is saying this is the Mobil.

This 508.00 ESP is not for a VW. It's for wife's MDX. If it's not ESP, I would just stick to what I've been using, Mobil 1 EP. As we saw from that comparison of the 8 508.00 oils, they aren't all the same.

Now the 0W-30 504.00 I bought is for my Atlas. I found some Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 online but figured I'd stick with Mobil and so I bought that also at Audi. Same unmarked black bottle. Need to make sure it's Mobil and not Castrol

I would be pretty upset if I was told it was Mobil 1 ESP X2 508.00 and really turned out to be Castrol. What's your source on this? I just think it's weird that the dealership no longer has any bottles showing Castrol and is saying this is the Mobil.

This 508.00 ESP is not for a VW. It's for wife's MDX. If it's not ESP, I would just stick to what I've been using, Mobil 1 EP. As we saw from that comparison of the 8 508.00 oils, they aren't all the same.

Now the 0W-30 504.00 I bought is for my Atlas. I found some Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 online but figured I'd stick with Mobil and so I bought that also at Audi. Same unmarked black bottle. Need to make sure it's Mobil and not Castrol

If I were you, I wouldn't concern myself with any of the VW 508.00/509.00 oils. Your VW Atlas specs a 0W30 or 5W30 504.00/507.00 oil.
Your Acura MDX takes a 0W20 or, you could use a 5W20.
Just buy what meets the specs and forget about the 508.00/509.00 oils.

The color of the oil is from a dye. It has properties that make it show up in ultraviolet light. Blue or green or whatever color we see the oil in it's finished form. Think about your kindergarten coloring class. Blue plus yellow equals green The dye is blue, the oil is a golden color. Mix those together and what color do you get?

Bingo! Exactly right.

The dye is added not for leak detection but to help avoid misapplication - if you're pouring green oil into an engine you need to be sure it is a late-model engine that will accept it, since this oil (like many new-style 0W-20s) is not backwards compatible for older engines. A chemical marker in the oil will also identify the wrong oil in the wrong engine by UOA if it comes to it. The dye and marker are a mandatory part of the VW 508 00/509 00 specification.

Hey guys. Look here, 0w-20 analysis from the ea888 gen3 B

Text is from this Forum (Google translate)

https://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/6896-vw-erstbef%C3%BCllung-0w-20-polo-gti-2-0-opf-12-000-km/

Hello!

I've been a silent reader for a long time (top forum!), Now have my first analysis and share it with you.

The new Polo runs with 0W20. The analysis shows the results of the first filling after 12000 km. The change has already been made, now Ravenol VSE 0W20 is inside.
Driving profile: 80% very defensive driving style (have great fun with fuel consumption - currently at 5.8 l / km) Almost no short distance. Easy route to work about 80 km.
Motorway: 2/5 (~ 130 km / h)
Country road: 2/5
City: 1/5

I have been dealing with the topic 0W20 for some time. I also read the book "Friction Wear in the Powertrain" from 2016.
Personally, I was very skeptical whether VW did everything to build this engine on 0W20. Especially since the trust in this company is gone. Has the timing chain been adjusted accordingly? Have the bearing tolerances of the connecting rod and main bearings been reduced (as recommended in the book)? Have the bearings been polymer coated? etc., etc. ... There are simply too many factors involved.

I think the oil works. The results of the analysis do not look bad for an initial filling.
The Ravenol VSE 0W20 is now inside. Further analyzes will follow at 5000km and 10000km.

What struck me is that I have already driven a few km with the new oil: the oil temperature is between 5 - 10 ° C higher than when it was first filled. Observes on the same route, same driving style, almost the same outside temperature.
Anyone have any idea what that could be? Other additives in the new oil?

index.php

Last edited:
. . . Look here, 0w-20 analysis from the EA888 Gen3 B [motor] . . . Ravenol VSE 0W20 is now inside. . . . What struck me is that I have already driven a few km with the new oil: the oil temperature is between 5 - 10 ° C higher than when it was first filled. Observes on the same route, same driving style, almost the same outside temperature. Anyone have any idea what that could be? Other additives in the new oil? . . .
First, thanks for your post and the link to the oil analysis. Regarding your Polo: Neat car; about the size of a Mk1 Golf. I wish that VW sold them here in the U.S. (I'm also hoping that VW will sell the Mk8 Golf TCR here, but I won't hold my breath. 😁 ) You've posted an interesting question regarding the 5-10 C temperature increase following your oil change. That's not insignificant. I'll be interested in what other Volkswagen owners have to say.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Read up a bit. Many VW and Audi dealers are being very meticulous about this spec and using the correct 0w20. I know my dealer is in the know.

OK. Let's try this another way, Mr. Lewis: Regardless of whether the dealership is chock-a-block with swell guys and Early Adopters of Volkswagen's new-found enthusiasm for 0W-20 weight motor oil, were it my turbocharged EA888 V-Dub, I run Castrol's 0W-40.
Actually your kinda right and kinda wrong. In the manual in my 2020 VW GTI it states "up to a half a qt of VW approved 502 or 504 may be used for a brief period of time".

Nowhere in my manual does it say it's ok to fill the crankcase with 502. They refer to if you can't find a 508 oil then you may top off with a 502/504 in an emergency.

If the manual states 0w20 and your under warranty why in Earth would you put a 40w oil in?

One of the Founders of this website (look in the introduction) reflects on "using the lightest weight oil you can get away with" why maybe for efficiency i be don't know.

In my MK6 GTI it specd a 502 oil. I used Castrol 0w40 but in this 2020 MK7? It specifically wants you to use 0w20. It could possibly have something to do with the start/stop system in the car. The 20w may circulate faster resulting in less drivetrain wear. It's possible.

Everyone on this site always says "go with the spec your car requires" yet here you are telling a guy with a new car to use a different spec? Bad advise👎.

The manual also states (at least mine does):
To use what's applicable for your climate and driving conditions. It continues on by confusing the matter with "make sure it meets the spec." Well, if my climate and/or conditions warrant other than a 0w20, I cannot meet the 508 spec.

In my climate, Xw20, Xw30 and Xw40 can all be suitable.

Screenshot_20201005-000146_Chrome.jpg

The VW dealership nearest me just dropped their price for 508 to $6 flat! OK, everything else is off the table. 😮

The manual also states (at least mine does):
To use what's applicable for your climate and driving conditions. It continues on by confusing the matter with "make sure it meets the spec." Well, if my climate and/or conditions warrant other than a 0w20, I cannot meet the 508 spec.

In my climate, Xw20, Xw30 and Xw40 can all be suitable.

View attachment 30916
It's funny how they word it - if 508/0W20 isn't available in your area, use an appropriate oil that meets the spec in the table above which of course gets you back to....508/0W20..hahahah. That wording works if you they are recommending an approval with multiple viscosities available like 502 or 504. You're stuck with 508 I'm afraid...wah wah wahhhhhhhhh.....

I just traded in my GLI for a ‘20 GTI, and asked their tech what his opinion is on the 508: “I put it in there because I have to, not because I want to. I wouldn’t run that in my car.”

Make of that what you will. He didn’t give me anything to back up his disapproval of the oil.

I can't remember now with all the threads/posts - why are you opposed to running the 508/0W20?
I'm not, really anymore. I know various changes were made to accommodate the 508. It was just my OCD.

I just traded in my GLI for a ‘20 GTI, and asked their tech what his opinion is on the 508: “I put it in there because I have to, not because I want to. I wouldn’t run that in my car.”

Make of that what you will. He didn’t give me anything to back up his disapproval of the oil.

Same thing a tuner said to me but I don't know how much he knows oil.

Back