Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I heard it started from a food market that sold snake meat? I've heard snake and other reptiles are quite delicious I guess.

I ate snake in China a few years ago. It was ok. Nothing special. It was a huge snake. Like 4 to 5 inches in diameter.

Sorry to tell you but that was not snake.

It was snake. They brought the live snake out to our table to show us before they cooked it. After they cooked it, they brought it back out to our table and sliced it. Lots of bones. It still had the skin on it.

Last edited:
Snag the guys at work are saying this virus started with a worm in the bottom of a corona bottle.

Good one dish.

Oh I forgot the little guy
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster
Population and populatin density certainly have a large role to play and are long term concerns. Additionally, their form of government doesn't help per se either. It seems to always come down to the pace of technology vs threats. A large global pandemic has been predicted for quite some time. I hope we keeping making progress in healthcare and technology to combat these threats.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/01/17/world/asia/china-population-crisis.html

"Chinese academics recently delivered a stark warning to the country's leaders: China is facing its most precipitous decline in population in decades, setting the stage for potential demographic, economic and even political crises in the near future.

For years China's ruling Communist Party implemented a series of policies intended to slow the growth of the world's most populous nation, including limiting the number of children couples could have to one. The long term effects of those policies mean the country will soon enter an era of "negative growth," or a contraction in the size of the total population."

They need it. They've got too many bloody people.

Makes a good news story but let's put this in perspective...
Over 710 (Seven Hundred Ten) people die EVERY DAY in the USA, over 250,000 a year, from mistakes in hospitals making it the 3rd leading cause of death.
Maybe we should start there🙃

Originally Posted by kstanf150
It's killed 17-20 people out of 1 billion

I think we'll be okay !!ðŸ‘

They have not had a good panic story since the ebola story a few years ago.

I was going to say spend some time on Twitter, but this CBC video covers most of the bases.

If you only want to see the 1000 bed hospital construction, that's a 1 minute video.
Supposed to be in operation Feb 3 (it's a dirt lot now).
I don't see how the concrete can cure, never mind completing all the other layers of construction, by then.

I'd say it is serious.
Personal anecdote: Spotted a LAX shuttle van, with Chinese-language writing on the side, transporting
passengers, on the fwy today. Driver was wearing a surgical mask.

Probably want to invest in a proper respirator for protection from that bioaerosol.

Originally Posted by spackard
I was going to say spend some time on Twitter, but this CBC video covers most of the bases.

If you only want to see the 1000 bed hospital construction, that's a 1 minute video.
Supposed to be in operation Feb 3 (it's a dirt lot now).
I don't see how the concrete can cure, never mind completing all the other layers of construction, by then.

I'd say it is serious.
Personal anecdote: Spotted a LAX shuttle van, with Chinese-language writing on the side, transporting
passengers, on the fwy today. Driver was wearing a surgical mask.

Probably want to invest in a proper respirator for protection from that bioaerosol.

People from China wearing masks are actually pretty common. I've seen that for years. The local doctor's office actually has masks at the front desk you can grab when you check in.

Originally Posted by spasm3

Oh yeah

Where did Ebola go ????

I guess it's not top story anymore !

Originally Posted by spasm3

Oh yeah

Where did Ebola go ????

I guess it's not top story anymore !

Kind of contained for now. Plus there's a vaccine for it that seems to work. Nothing so far for the Corona virus.

^ right.

There is certainly a sensationalist element to all this for sure.

How many deaths does the flue cause, per year?

True, by the way. you "rounded off" 400,000 people, more than the population of the USA. China has 1.4 billion people.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by buster
^ right.

There is certainly a sensationalist element to all this for sure.

How many deaths does the flue cause, per year?

2,200 deaths in the US so far this season.

From a Dave Harig (@DaveHarig) on Twitter:

Flu: 15MM Infected:9K deaths = 0.06% mortality rate with a viral reproductive factor
WuFlu: 900 infected:26 deaths = 3% mortality rate with a viral reproductive factor >3.6

Net: 50x more deadly. 3x more contagious. No vaccine. No heard immunity.

Reason to freak!

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.23.20018549v1

In December 2019, a novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is thought to have emerged into the human population in Wuhan, China.

The number of identified cases in Wuhan has increased rapidly since, and cases have been identified in other Chinese cities and other countries (as of 23 January 2020). We fitted a transmission model to reported case information up to 21 January to estimate key epidemiological measures, and to predict the possible course of the epidemic, as the potential impact of travel restrictions into and from Wuhan.

We estimate the basic reproduction number of the infection (R_0) to be 3.8 (95% confidence interval, 3.6-4.0), indicating that 72-75% of transmissions must be prevented by control measures for infections to stop increasing. We estimate that only 5.1% (95%CI, 4.8-5.5) of infections in Wuhan are identified, and by 21 January a total of 11,341 people (prediction interval, 9,217-14,245) had been infected in Wuhan since the start of the year.

Should the epidemic continue unabated in Wuhan, we predict the epidemic in Wuhan will be substantially larger by 4 February (191,529 infections; prediction interval, 132,751-273,649), infection will be established in other Chinese cities, and importations to other countries will be more frequent.

Our model suggests that travel restrictions from and to Wuhan city are unlikely to be effective in halting transmission across China; with a 99% effective reduction in travel, the size of the epidemic outside of Wuhan may only be reduced by 24.9% on 4 February. Our findings are critically dependent on the assumptions underpinning our model, and the timing and reporting of confirmed cases, and there is considerable uncertainty associated with the outbreak at this early stage.

With these caveats in mind, our work suggests that a basic reproductive number for this 2019-nCoV outbreak is higher compared to other emergent coronaviruses, suggesting that containment or control of this pathogen may be substantially more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back