yet another black eye for the 2,4 ecotec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have any first hand experience or just brand bashing from something you saw online?

Originally Posted by dishdude
Do you have any first hand experience or just brand bashing from something you saw online?

I have always wondered about this question.
It is asked based on the premise that only an owner of said vehicle is worthy of discussing a topic.
It is a completely ridiculous notion and a bunch of high browed elitism.

Originally Posted by Imp4

It is asked based on the premise that only an owner of said vehicle is worthy of discussing a topic.

+1

Last edited:
I worked with a couple of co-workers and they both had Oil consumption issues with their Ecotech motors. I don't think GM owned up to anything when they complained. One of them had an accident and vehicle written off. Other girl sold hers and went to a Honda H-RV.

There are a handful of people that for whatever reason have decided they don't like a particular make of vehicle and for some reason feel the need to spam the board with irrelevant threads, posts and commentary that they have no firsthand knowledge of. It's getting old.

Is this going to be mention a cr*p motor thread-I will start

Ford 6.0
Ford Early Eco Boost issues

Whats the point of these stupid threads?

Originally Posted by CKN
Whats the point of these stupid threads?

If you don't like it, just move along.
Nothing to see here...
cheers3.gif

The PCV system issue is no secret on the 2.4... it either clogs or freezes and blows the rear main.

You know what other engine LOVES to do the exact same thing? The 2.0 TSFI VW engine, specifically the EA888. And I've seen FAR more of those with blown rear mains than 2.4's. However, the 2.4 in the Equinox will eat the timing chain for lunch if it gets the chance. It doesn't seem to happen as much in any other platform, just the Equinox. My boss has bought 2 of them off customers in the last year due to blown engines and an $8k bill to replace. We won't put used engines in those, too risky. I've gotten so good at doing the engines that I can have a crate motor in and running in about 6 hours. I don't even take the front wheels off to swap the engine.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
The PCV system issue is no secret on the 2.4... it either clogs or freezes and blows the rear main.

You know what other engine LOVES to do the exact same thing? The 2.0 TSFI VW engine, specifically the EA888. And I've seen FAR more of those with blown rear mains than 2.4's. However, the 2.4 in the Equinox will eat the timing chain for lunch if it gets the chance. It doesn't seem to happen as much in any other platform, just the Equinox. My boss has bought 2 of them off customers in the last year due to blown engines and an $8k bill to replace. We won't put used engines in those, too risky. I've gotten so good at doing the engines that I can have a crate motor in and running in about 6 hours. I don't even take the front wheels off to swap the engine.

I see more Malibus with timing chain problems, but maybe I just work on more Malibus, period. They also like to melt the passenger headlight connector.

Almost every 2.4 that I see has a chain rattle on a cold start, and large metal flakes come out when I drain the oil. And the VVT solenoids are usually malfunctioning.
I've gotten pretty good at replacing 2.4 timing sets, but I do take off the right front wheel.

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
Originally Posted by 14Accent

I see more Malibus with timing chain problems, but maybe I just work on more Malibus, period. They also like to melt the passenger headlight connector.

Almost every 2.4 that I see has a chain rattle on a cold start, and large metal flakes come out when I drain the oil. And the VVT solenoids are usually malfunctioning.
I've gotten pretty good at replacing 2.4 timing sets, but I do take off the right front wheel.

Definitely with you on the Malibu's. Don't you love that you have to take the bumper off just to replace a headlight harness? Good lord what were they thinking?

I don't even bother doing the chains on the 2.4. With all the other engine issues, at 100k it just makes more sense to replace it with something that has a solid warranty.

I have about 140k on my 2.4 Pontiac G6. Drinks oil , timing chain rattle at startup every so often also the headlights wiring harness melt a few times. Other than that it's been a good beater for 13 years.

There are a handful of people that for whatever reason have decided they don't like a particular make of vehicle and for some reason feel the need to spam the board with irrelevant threads, posts and commentary that they have no firsthand knowledge of. It's getting old.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^=200%

I dunno, I find this good info. For some of us, 100k is nothing, we rack that up overnight, and we're not against buying high mile used cars from time to time.

Personally, before I ever buy anything that cost me a bunch of money I try to do lots of research online first. I also have a lot of people that ask me for advice on car purchases because I'm "the car guy that they know". This is one of the places I do research. If you read enough online, see enough YouTube videos you can establish trends. So personally I have no problem seeing threads discussing issues with an engine, to help decide whether or not it is worth taking a risk on.

I find it hilarious that someone would try and shush another member for posting a car problem on a car forum. That engine was leaking like a sieve. It was gushing. I watched the YouTube and found it interesting and informative. It even gave the service bulletin number and mentioned a 10 year, 120,000 miles recall.

Watched part of the video, to see what is up. Is this a case of, not driven enough? Moisture is building up and plugging up stuff. Would getting the engine warm "often" and maybe a low NOACK oil help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back