Flank drive wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm debating buying a set of metric snapon flank drive wrenches. I have lots of older craftsman wrenches, but the newer flank drive plus looks like its great for damaged fasteners.

OR get a set of these for those situations where the bolt is rounded.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneuma...I41A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

My question is, will the snap on flank drive plus bite, mark, and damage the head of a bolt if its not rounded off ?

Originally Posted by JC1
How often do you have a rounded off fastener that you need to remove?

Not so much how often, but it's when and where.
I got these off without rounding them, using atf/acetone and heat.

But a better wrench may have been a good first choice.

IMG_20190930_085645930.jpg

IMG_20190930_085705349.jpg

Originally Posted by spasm3

My question is, will the snap on flank drive plus bite, mark, and damage the head of a bolt if its not rounded off ?

No. Flank drive contacts the fastener where it has slightly more meat and is less likely to damage the bolt head or nut.

A good set of regular Flank Drive SO wrenches will be a step up from the Craftsman ones you have!
I have a set of metric SO Flank Drive Plus wrenches I bought in 1999 (10-19mm)......I wouldn't buy them again for what I paid 20 years ago, Much less for what they cost now!

Are they good wrenches....Yes! But I can't say they're much better than the Flank Drive SAE (3/8"-1 1/4") set that are a little older.

Spreading of the open end on combination wrenches is a reality we must accept when high torque/force is applied!

USA made Blue Point & Williams wrenches are identical to the SO Flank Drive in every way besides the finish & chroming process.

For rounded fasteners I have found the Craftsman Universals work good....the are splined and bite good. As for the flank drive style wrenches skip the pricey Snap -on and get the new very high quality ICON brand at Harbor Freight. It is their new line up, professional tools to compete with the big names.

The only thing Ive really seen a difference in with Snap On is the precision of the sizing. A 19mm is 19mm, not 19.1, not 19.15 etc. There is no play with the wrench on the head of the bolt, reducing the chance youll strip it.

There's also flank drive sockets if you have the room.

My Jeep and truck has the room, but her Volvo does not unless you remove the whole knuckle.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
For rounded fasteners I have found the Craftsman Universals work good....the are splined and bite good. As for the flank drive style wrenches skip the pricey Snap -on and get the new very high quality ICON brand at Harbor Freight. It is their new line up, professional tools to compete with the big names.

Originally Posted by GMBoy

There was a YouTube video where a guy torture tested both the SO flank drive wrench and the Icon equivalent. The SO did the job without obvious damage to it but the Icon was damaged. He said the Icon was more suited to diy and was a great deal for that. I think he said he was a former SO salesman. Conclude as you see fit.

Snap on wrenches are the strongest, most durable I have used. Their sizes are also a proper fit on the proper fastener. A majority of what I own are snap on. I've never broken or damaged one even with "double" wrenches on stubborn fasteners. I also used them daily.

Yes they are expensive, but you get what you pay for in this case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
I'm debating buying a set of metric snapon flank drive wrenches. I have lots of older craftsman wrenches, but the newer flank drive plus looks like its great for damaged fasteners.

OR get a set of these for those situations where the bolt is rounded.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneuma...I41A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I would refer you to this link where folks discuss the difference between flank drive and flank drive plus :

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71802

Originally Posted by ajchien

I would refer you to this link where folks discuss the difference between flank drive and flank drive plus :

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71802

Thanks! That was very informative. It answered my concern. It seems the flank drive plus really works but as chris142 said may not work well for everyday wrenching, as it does bite and Mar fasteners.

They are all flank drive now, copied from the expired patent. Craftsman, Husky, all of them. A simple idea but very effective. Correction you asked about flank drive plus I never even heard of them before. I was talking about flank drive. There have been others like Craftsman trying different ways to bite into a fastener, with a tooth I have some but never use them.

I would get a good set of regular flank drive (or other companies equivalent) and a set of the ones you posted from Astro for really buggered fasteners.
I wouldn't buy Snap on, they are way over priced IMO. Hazet and Stahlwille are every bit as good (really) and have their version of flank drive, personally I much prefer the finish on these tools as opposed to full chrome.

Hazet

If you prefer something with a little shorter profile..

Stahlwille

Edit: Both ship to the USA and the price shown is minus almost 20% as they don't charge the German MwSt for exported goods.

Last edited:
I bought flank drives awhile ago, my snap on man upgraded them all over the course of a year or so to flank drive plus's. I needed the plus because my regular flank drives were slipping doing alignment work (I was in a dealership). The plus's definitely grip better but they do also chew up the nut or bolt you're using the open end on. It isn't often you really need the open end to hold onto a really stuck or rusted up fastener, though. You can usually use your closed end and not worry about it chewing up your fastener.

Originally Posted by Trav
I would get a good set of regular flank drive (or other companies equivalent) and a set of the ones you posted from Astro for really buggered fasteners.
I wouldn't buy Snap on, they are way over priced IMO. Hazet and Stahlwille are every bit as good (really) and have their version of flank drive, personally I much prefer the finish on these tools as opposed to full chrome.

Hazet

If you prefer something with a little shorter profile..

Stahlwille

Edit: Both ship to the USA and the price shown is minus almost 20% as they don't charge the German MwSt for exported goods.

Thanks Trav!

The Hazet set looks nice, i like.

Since posting i have also run across a set from Wright. Wright grip set 958. USA made. Anyone have any experience with these?

Flank drive is great. Wrenches and bits can be made to fit both, SAE and metric, in one wrench or socket. Leverage is a bit decreased versus a standard wrench or socket and a bit more muscle power is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back