Torn filter that's NOT a motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from a 2014 Ford police interceptor sedan (Taurus). It was in use 3,000 miles with 5w20 Napa synthetic blend. Car has 75,000 miles on it.
Refilled with Mag1 blend 5w20 and a Napa Platinum filter

20200124_102843.jpg

20200124_102857.jpg

20200124_102558.jpg

20200124_102541.jpg

20200124_102825.jpg

20200124_102834.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pktrkt
May not be a Motorcraft, but, like Motorcrafts, most (if not all) Napa Proselects are made by Purolator.

Even the Auto Extra filters we use at work are now purolator made.

OP: thanks for pics
smile.gif

May not be a Motorcraft, but, like Motorcrafts, most (if not all) Napa Proselects are made by Purolator.

The one pictured here appears to be Wix made.

Since when? ProSelect has been a Wix made filter for a long, long time (like forever).

The Proselect was the same line as the old Supertech and current MicroGard from O'Reilly Auto.

I was not crazy about the media on the Wix made ST filters after seeing how easy it tore with very little pressure.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
It is made by Wix in Gastonia NC.

Doesn't mean that the media couldn't have been changed once Mann+Hummel took over WIX.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I want to know how the hole got there.

Guessing maybe poked a hole to drain it? Mann + Hummel has owned WIx for a couple years now, hope their junk media isn't being used in the Gastonia plant now.

A torn media OTHER than a 820MC
My god the sky is falling, it ground hog day all over again !!!

Ever filter made has the chance of this
NONE are perfect !!!!

Been plenty of Napa Pro-select posted on here that look perfect ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Last edited:
hmm - do i take my chances on one that has literally tens of torn posts....or something else.

- I'll go to use the 820 to show them they're wrong!

Not saying it's not possible that OP's filter was indeed damaged during use, but as a general observation/question: I think it's certainly likely that 1. some of these filters do have brittle media, and 2. when people (in general, not directed at OP) start fingering pleats looking for tears, actually create some of them. 53' Stude, you cut the highest number here on the board that I know of- have you been able to tear media by pulling pleats apart? The failures I believe without question are the ones where they are visible without moving/stretching/pulling the media around to look for issues.

OP, thanks for pics. Always good to see a variety of filters cut!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Not saying it's not possible that OP's filter was indeed damaged during use, but as a general observation/question: I think it's certainly likely that 1. some of these filters do have brittle media, and 2. when people (in general, not directed at OP) start fingering pleats looking for tears, actually create some of them. 53' Stude, you cut the highest number here on the board that I know of- have you been able to tear media by pulling pleats apart? The failures I believe without question are the ones where they are visible without moving/stretching/pulling the media around to look for issues.

OP, thanks for pics. Always good to see a variety of filters cut!

That's about all that needs to be said !!
Thanks SubieRubyRoo !!!!ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back