Honda Pilot OCI - Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing a 6K OCI on my 2013 Pilot when the 20% light comes on - We have owned the Pilot for a year and are putting about 16k a year on it. Engine has 100k and is not burning any oil between changes.

Been thinking of doing a 8k OCI and just doing it April and October to make it simple. Does anyone see a problem with this ?

And is there any benefit to using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum over regular Pennzoil Platinum for this OCI ?

thank you !

Take the honda oil minder down to 0-5%. Honda J series isn't picky with oil. Don't waste money on "advanced" synthetics. $20 5qt jug of name brand synthetic is fine. I see no issue with 8K btw.

FYI, at 100K you should be doing the whole timing belt procedure. Timing belt, pulleys, water pump, serp belt, thermostat, spark plugs, etc.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/aisin,TKH002,timing+belt+&+component+kit,5759

Out the door with all those parts for like $250 at rock auto, then just find an honest local guy or shop to do the work.

Last edited:
You need to do what makes you feel comfortable, but I agree with jayjr1105's opinion.

i feel comfortable doing it - i just wanted to make sure it wasn't a really bad idea. The onwers manual says 7500 but the maint minder comes on about 6k with my wifes city driving. I had all the service records from the previous owner and they were doing it about 8-9k but I think they did more country driving based on where they lived.

also the manual says I can do the filter every other time - never done that on any car but I do run WIX.

Originally Posted by Skier
i feel comfortable doing it - i just wanted to make sure it wasn't a really bad idea. The onwers manual says 7500 but the maint minder comes on about 6k with my wifes city driving. I had all the service records from the previous owner and they were doing it about 8-9k but I think they did more country driving based on where they lived.

also the manual says I can do the filter every other time - never done that on any car but I do run WIX.

Change the filter every time, Fram Silver or Gold can or buy the Honda filters from the dealer. Again, I've run several different filters on my Odyssey (similar V6 engine) without issue.

The owners manual says 7500 but the maint minder comes on about 6k with my wifes city driving.

Honda's maintenance minder is driven by dollars... if an owner doesn't know about their vehicle nor read the manual and only follows the MM, that means every 5th oil change the dealer just pocketed an entire service on your dime. Even running MM down to 0 is not in itself a sin; they are still likely conservative at that point. Using PP, and being a past Odyssey owner, I'd have no problem whatsoever running it 10k (and have done so). Run a Fram XG7317 or XG3593A and change every other OCI to minimize costs with no additional risk to your vehicle.

makes sense.

so it Ultra Platinum just marketing - i use regular PP

makes sense.

so it Ultra Platinum just marketing - i use regular PP

Sometimes you can find Ultra on sale cheaper than regular. For 8K you can run any full synthetic oil you find on the shelves of any parts store or walmart. If you like Pennzoil, they have $10 rebates a couple times a year, so does Mobil 1 and Shell Rotella. Again, any SN or SN+ rated synthetic and you'll be fine.

The onwers manual says 7500....
Why any concern about going an add'l 500 miles ?

...but the maint minder comes on about 6k with my wifes city driving.
It comes on indicating 20% remaining, not change the oil now. It's giving you a heads-up like, "hey, plan to change the oil coming up soon" but that could be weeks or longer away. You can run it down to 10%, 5%, even 0% although when it reaches 0%, it nags more. We had an Odyssey and my wife would tell me "the oil change thing popped up" and I just told her I'll buy oil and a filter next time I get to Walmart. Once, it was the middle of winter and I kept putting it off and putting it off and it actually went to 0% and then it shows how many miles you've went after it hit zero, as I recall. You can't turn off the nag either, so I was reminded daily.

Go 7500-8000 miles without a concern. On a '13, Honda designed the MM with conventional oil so you can safely exceed their miles with a blend or full synthetic. I wouldn't go 2x but an extra 500, 1000, 2000 miles ? Wouldn't be a concern.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
it actually went to 0% and then it shows how many miles you've went after it hit zero, as I recall. You can't turn off the nag either, so I was reminded daily.

It's actually the number of minutes the engine has been running since the MM hit 0%... yeah, I know, it doesn't make much sense unless you're a habitual idler.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
...and being a past Odyssey owner, I'd have no problem whatsoever running it 10k (and have done so). Run a Fram XG7317 or XG3593A and change every other OCI to minimize costs with no additional risk to your vehicle.

Honda still says to change the oil filter (under most conditions*) every other oil change. If folks look up Honda's "A" service, it says "change engine oil" while a "B" means change the oil and filter. They determine these routines using a Honda-branded filter too, certainly, so even an FU filter isn't needed (although they only cost $1-2 than a Honda filter).

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Take the honda oil minder down to 0-5%. Honda J series isn't picky with oil. Don't waste money on "advanced" synthetics. $20 5qt jug of name brand synthetic is fine. I see no issue with 8K btw.

FYI, at 100K you should be doing the whole timing belt procedure. Timing belt, pulleys, water pump, serp belt, thermostat, spark plugs, etc.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/aisin,TKH002,timing+belt+&+component+kit,5759

Out the door with all those parts for like $250 at rock auto, then just find an honest local guy or shop to do the work.

The J-series are extremely picky on oil if they have VCM, which this one does. All of the older J-series VCM equipped engines that I've seen tend to consume significant amounts of oil as they get older.

I would change the oil at least every 5K.

'13 Odyssey is spec'd for conventional? I thought 4th gen was all 0w20 full syn.

Heh, maybe..... Fact is, it's the same engine since what, the early 2000s (3.5L V6). 0W-20 was spec'd for fuel economy reasons anyway.

2010 Odyssey calls for "Premium grade 5W-20"

2014 Pilot calls for (recommends) - Genuine Honda Motor Oil or - Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container. After that text, it includes this:

â– Synthetic oil - You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade.

Aren't the Honda J35s with VCM hard on oil ?

I was under the impression if you have these engines , you use a quality synthetic oil and change every 5k .

The J-series are extremely picky on oil if they have VCM, which this one does. All of the older J-series VCM equipped engines that I've seen tend to consume significant amounts of oil as they get older.

i disabled the VCM - not a fan of it
55.gif

55.gif

Smart move; VCM tends to beat up oil.

IMO, with VCM disabled, Pennzoil syns should have no issue doing 8k mile OCIs.

I've been doing a 6K OCI on my 2013 Pilot when the 20% light comes on - We have owned the Pilot for a year and are putting about 16k a year on it. Engine has 100k and is not burning any oil between changes.

Been thinking of doing a 8k OCI and just doing it April and October to make it simple. Does anyone see a problem with this ?

And is there any benefit to using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum over regular Pennzoil Platinum for this OCI ?

thank you !

Honda sees no problem with up to 10K based on the OLM.

As was said earlier with no timing chain and gears to chew up the oil, the mill is easy on it.

UD

55.gif

Good choice, I have mine disabled as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back