VW 508 Spec-0w20

Originally Posted by wemay
@ TheIceStormof06

I did call (South Motors VW and Doral VW) and the two VW dealerships near me use Castrol exclusively for all their vehicles. Castrol is on my 2019 fill cap. Castrol and VW have extended their official partnership per press releases in 2018. That hardly means "their done".
If I may ask, which VW dealerships did you get your information from regarding this spec and others used for service?

I was also told that some dealerships use a VW branded oil made by...Castrol.

I also plan on going the full 10k miles. I also posted a UOA from Tiguan owner that showed an 8800 mile UOA that could easily have gone further. You're right that it appears to be a robust spec.

I can't speak to VW as it hasn't shown up in VW as yet. I believe my VW dealership said they can see the new part number but it hasn't arrived. That's why I mentioned I got it from Audi dealership where It just started arriving this week. They said the Castrol oils have Castrol all over it but the new Mobil VW oils are non branded Mobil oils. Me saying Castrol is done just means they are no long the exclusive and preferred Factory Fill oil for Audi and VW and you won't see Castrol mentioned specifically on fill caps moving forward... just the 504/508/507 certification respectively.

I live in GA and two dealerships confirmed it so I picked up 0W-30 & 0W-20 for both vehicles in my signature. What both Both VW dealerships in my area said is they won't order the new stuff until they deplete the old stuff and their oil fill drums. The NON 504/508/507 oils found in the drums at dealerships have caused issues. Especially with the 2.0Ts. Engine lights tripped with low miles. Heck, the local Atlanta VW dealerships were putting regular Non certified oil 0w-20 in the V6 Atlas. They use 0W-20 on ALL their oil changes except the Routon. VW is clamping down since the spike in warranty claims.

I'll be opening and doing a oil change tomorrow with the 0W-20. Will report back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TheIceStormof06
Originally Posted by wemay
@ TheIceStormof06

I did call (South Motors VW and Doral VW) and the two VW dealerships near me use Castrol exclusively for all their vehicles. Castrol is on my 2019 fill cap. Castrol and VW have extended their official partnership per press releases in 2018. That hardly means "their done".
If I may ask, which VW dealerships did you get your information from regarding this spec and others used for service?

I was also told that some dealerships use a VW branded oil made by...Castrol.

I also plan on going the full 10k miles. I also posted a UOA from Tiguan owner that showed an 8800 mile UOA that could easily have gone further. You're right that it appears to be a robust spec.

I can't speak to VW as it hasn't shown up in VW as yet. I believe my VW dealership said they can see the new part number but it hasn't arrived. That's why I mentioned I got it from Audi dealership where It just started arriving this week. They said the Castrol oils have Castrol all over it but the new Mobil VW oils are non branded Mobil oils. Me saying Castrol is done just means they are no long the exclusive and preferred Factory Fill oil for Audi and VW and you won't see Castrol mentioned specifically on fill caps moving forward... just the 504/508/507 certification respectively.

I live in GA and two dealerships confirmed it so I picked up 0W-30 & 0W-20 for both vehicles in my signature. What both Both VW dealerships in my area said is they won't order the new stuff until they deplete the old stuff and their oil fill drums. The NON 504/508/507 oils found in the drums at dealerships have caused issues. Especially with the 2.0Ts. Engine lights tripped with low miles. Heck, the local Atlanta VW dealerships were putting regular Non certified oil 0w-20 in the V6 Atlas. They use 0W-20 on ALL their oil changes except the Routon. VW is clamping down since the spike in warranty claims.

I'll be opening and doing a oil change tomorrow with the 0W-20. Will report back.

From 2018:
https://pronounce.media/press-relea...ronounce-concierge-service/2018-01-09/87

Below that, is the part number which comes back to Castrol Edge 0W-20 (508.00) on a service performed on my Passat last year, July.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
That was from a bottle last July...gray Liter bottles? It's the right stuff but the old stuff. I will take a picture of the new oil (if I can figure how to post here) I bought yesterday tomorrow during my oil change. The stuff I just got from Audi is in black 1 QT bottles... The new stuff.

I think the Shell Euro LX or Mobil 1 ESP X2 is better
smile.gif
just kidding it's really a preference thing.

What I will say is some VW dealerships use the standard NON-professional NON 50X.00 Castrol formulations. That's no bueno.

Side note, I just checked my oil levels in my Atlas. 5k in on the factory fill, and the oil is still golden yellow. Barely any grit. And I'm hard on it..stop and go ATL traffic with my stop-start running. No oil I've ever used especially on DFI looked this good, this late into OCI This oil looks brand new!!

Last edited:
Yeah, the oil in my Passat still looks amber as well. Not what i was expecting from a soot producing engine technology like the TSi is, especially here in Miami. I do know the ATL traffic can be horrendous as well. Glad you're pleased too.

The wife's Santa Fe Turbo turns the oil black in about 1500 miles. But it also has over 205K trouble free miles on the odo so the soot may not matter at 3K mile intervals.

Here's the Castrol Professional. I called VW USA and they also state the official oil is Castrol and no change has been made to switch. But we'll see...

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Do you use this same Castrol oil on her Santa Fe?

Most of what I've heard about soot especially in TSI and Direct injection engines is caused by not fully burning combustion gases blowing back and leaving carbon and byproducts. So I believe that the VW 50X.XX certified oils are now low-SAPS low ASH formulations that reduce this and therefore leave less carbon build-up, and don't affect the particulate filters in the emissions systems. I could be wrong

Do you use this same Castrol oil on her Santa Fe?

Most of what I've heard about soot especially in TSI and Direct injection engines is caused by not fully burning combustion gases blowing back and leaving carbon and byproducts. So I believe that the VW 50X.XX certified oils are now low-SAPS low ASH formulations that reduce this and therefore leave less carbon build-up, and don't affect the particulate filters in the emissions systems. I could be wrong

No, the Santa Fe 2.0T gets 5w30 and 5w40...The next few changes will be Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w30. It's never had to have deposit cleaning or anything else so we aren't worried. She may be trading it by this time next year. We'll see.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Isn't the green color part of the 508 00 approval? Shouldn't all 508 00 oils be green regardless of the manufacturer?

No..I believe that the green color is exclusive to the Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20 508.00 approval per press release. I believe other 508.00 are the normal goldish color we are used to.
I forgot to mention earlier, this oil smelled different.. hard to explain but it didn't smell like other Mobil 1 formulations I've tried. Didn't smell like oil.

Castrol Professional 0W-20 and Motul 0W-20 VW508/VW509 spec oils are green.

Its in the VW508/VW509 spec as far as I understand for leak detection.

Originally Posted by MParr
ALL oils meeting the VW 508.00/509.00 specs have the blue-green UV dye in them.

Ok..this is the only 508.00 I've looked at so I'll take your words for it. Weird as the 504.00/507.00 have the regular color.

Call any AUDI and VW dealership and they will tell you, that's their preferred brand. Castrol is done. Porsche has been Factory filling their engines with Mobil 1 for years. The 508.00/509.00/504.00 specs are one of the most challenging specs to secure. Many traditional synthetic oils go down in grade. This stuff will stay in grade for 10K. HTHS of 2.6/7 isn't bad for daily duties. True that this comparison is very close and there's not a pig among the bunch. And that's the point. The VW cert requires quality. So the Mobil 1 is still the best of the best. I plan on doing a UOA in 10k on the ESP and EURO LX and will report back.

+1 for the UOA
smile.gif

Back