Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by csandste
This thing needs a name. Coronavirus could be anything including a common cold. 2019-nCoV is too obtuse. MERS for the Middle East. I assume the Chinese are working hard to keep this from having a geographic name.

Kung Flu

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I heard it started from a food market that sold snake meat? I've heard snake and other reptiles are quite delicious I guess.

I ate snake in China a few years ago. It was ok. Nothing special. It was a huge snake. Like 4 to 5 inches in diameter.

Sorry to tell you but that was not snake.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I heard it started from a food market that sold snake meat? I've heard snake and other reptiles are quite delicious I guess.

I ate snake in China a few years ago. It was ok. Nothing special. It was a huge snake. Like 4 to 5 inches in diameter.

sick.gif

Soylent green?

What I wonder is how they're going to screen out all the poor schmucks who happen to be coming down with the regular flue. ( hi there remember me I'm still out there EVERYWHERE). Heck im sitting here in Bavaria and everybody we know here has had or does have the flue 🤞ðŸ»But me! That's in the last 3 weeks. No super fevers that I know of a with this version but definitely flat on your back stuff that lingers. I just want back to my acreage in Newyorkistan so I can avoid everybody.
I do wonder how they can possibly differentiate who has what flue with any degree of accuracy. Computers and flight info to track origins of travelers will help at least early on in any pandemic. I know DHS got all over pandemic planning way back 12-15 years ago. We had to take annual classes computer courses and even got fitted with our own N-99 mask. They still do all this today. I'm sure they improved things since I retired but how much and how well it all works who knows. Nothing ever works as planned except on TV.

Well, the Chinese civilization is over 3,000 years old. They aren't going anywhere and in fact, if something ever did develop that was a serious global pandemic, I'd put money on them surviving lol.

One thing I noticed after watching the show Bizarre Foods is most other countries eat a much more expansive list of animals. I obviously don't like the thought of people eating cats and dogs but it would likely be worse for them in nature if they got jacked by a predator. Then you hear the argument- What makes a cat better than a Cow or Pig? Every living thing has to consume another living thing for energy. There is no way around that. And I LOVE animals.

Some of it is crazy but it really brings you back to how brutal nature is and how not bad humans are by comparison.

Originally Posted by buster
Well, the Chinese civilization is over 3,000 years old. They aren't going anywhere and in fact, if something ever did develop that was a serious global pandemic, I'd put money on them surviving lol.

One thing I noticed after watching the show Bizarre Foods is most other countries eat a much more expansive list of animals. I obviously don't like the thought of people eating cats and dogs but it would likely be worse for them in nature if they got jacked by a predator. Then you hear the argument- What makes a cat better than a Cow or Pig? Every living thing has to consume another living thing for energy. There is no way around that. And I LOVE animals.

Some of it is crazy but it really brings you back to how brutal nature is and how not bad humans are by comparison.

It's not the age of the civilization, it's the population density. There has never been a time or place on earth where there existed a population of north of a billion people and China is just under 1.5 billion. In fact, in the last 30 years, China's population has grown more than the entire population of the United States, Canada and Australia combined! This is a new experiment, and I wouldn't bank on China's age being any form of mitigating factor. I don't think this is sustainable and I believe we are in for a "correction" event, whether it's WWIII or some pandemic. My money is on the latter.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

It's not the age of the civilization, it's the population density. There has never been a time or place on earth where there existed a population of north of a billion people and China is just under 1.5 billion. In fact, in the last 30 years, China's population has grown more than the entire population of the United States, Canada and Australia combined! This is a new experiment, and I wouldn't bank on China's age being any form of mitigating factor. I don't think this is sustainable and I believe we are in for a "correction" event, whether it's WWIII or some pandemic. My money is on the latter.

Having spent a lot of time there in the last few years, I'm hard-pressed to disagree with you. Thing is, people look at the population numbers and the land mass and think "oh, that's not so bad"; but almost all of the people are concentrated into a really small area (probably 1/5th of the country).

While it may be a "new" experiment, they're not along. India has an even higher population density, and they're set to surpass China in total population in a few years. At least China's population growth is very low. I also think that India much less well-equipped to deal with a serious pandemic.

These heat maps do a good job of visualizing the disparity in population density: https://imgur.com/gallery/X4x7q

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I believe San Francisco and maybe Atlanta also have brought thermal scanners online for arriving international gates. In addition to La Guardia.

I agree the Chinese Communist Party i.e. government, is likely issued orders to everyone to keep a lid news getting out on just how bad it's getting.

Yeah, I didn't get the whole list of airports. I was just shocked that Seatac wasn't on the list, given the amount of inbound flights from Asia. And frankly, this should have been done years ago. Even dumpy airports like Taichung and Wuxi use temperature scanners.

You have all these animals like snakes , birds , bats all kept closer to each other in their market place , than they would exist in nature. Add to that the high population density. Add to that , animals slaughtered in less than sanitary conditions. It's no wonder there are viral crossovers and new avian flu constantly coming from there.

Last edited:

Indeed. No snake sold in snake shop are longer than 5 feet and with a diameter wider than 3 inches. Everyone told me snake tasted like pork, I've never tried it but snake shops are usually relatively clean like a butcher shop, unlike the live bird (and even worse, wild game in China like the one in Wuhan).

Originally Posted by spasm3
You have all these animals like snakes , birds , bats all kept closer to each other in their market place , than they would exist in nature. Add to that the high population density. Add to that , animals slaughtered in less than sanitary conditions. It's no wonder there are viral crossovers and new avian flu constantly coming from there.

Yeah! I still remember the Black Death.

They lack a sound moral code. That's all!

Originally Posted by 02SE

Soylent green?

My guess is that it was Lansiao

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Look at the bright side. If this becomes a global pandemic and kills over 80% of the world population, then China will have single handedly solved the climate change problem.

As to the Government of China compared to the US, I think you would have to say the US occasionally lies. China occasionally tells the truth.

Good point

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Having spent a lot of time there in the last few years, I'm hard-pressed to disagree with you. Thing is, people look at the population numbers and the land mass and think "oh, that's not so bad"; but almost all of the people are concentrated into a really small area (probably 1/5th of the country).

While it may be a "new" experiment, they're not along. India has an even higher population density, and they're set to surpass China in total population in a few years. At least China's population growth is very low. I also think that India much less well-equipped to deal with a serious pandemic.

These heat maps do a good job of visualizing the disparity in population density: https://imgur.com/gallery/X4x7q

Yup, India is the other population density pandora's box. It just seems that China has a track record of these events at this point, whilst India has managed to avoid them for now.

I wish they would change the name before my constellation brands stock takes a hit.
Ha
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
Population and populatin density certainly have a large role to play and are long term concerns. Additionally, their form of government doesn't help per se either. It seems to always come down to the pace of technology vs threats. A large global pandemic has been predicted for quite some time. I hope we keeping making progress in healthcare and technology to combat these threats.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/01/17/world/asia/china-population-crisis.html

"Chinese academics recently delivered a stark warning to the country's leaders: China is facing its most precipitous decline in population in decades, setting the stage for potential demographic, economic and even political crises in the near future.

For years China's ruling Communist Party implemented a series of policies intended to slow the growth of the world's most populous nation, including limiting the number of children couples could have to one. The long term effects of those policies mean the country will soon enter an era of "negative growth," or a contraction in the size of the total population."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back