What oil for a new VW Beetle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile, Shelle or Castrole, maybe Motule or Fuchse. They're all goode.
grin2.gif
I find it interesting that VW's are now thin-oil sippers, uh leakers.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
This would be close. It has a AECA A1/B1 approval.

This does not have VW approval. Do not use.

I would guess that if it doesn't need to meet porsche C20 it should do fine.

Or are the little VW turbos ticking time bombs that need secret special oil to live?

I doubt it. Plus the spec is low HTHS just like ILSAC GF for 20 grades in the US.

Only Issue is warranty.

VW oil have tracers and dye in them

You DO want to maintain your warranty in a VW !

I think my transaxle is toast after 1 year. Making some rally bad noises and clattering and clunking hard on gentle shifts,

Last edited:
Originally Posted by widetrax
Maybe I need to go to Mobile Ala, to get the oil changed, but it's approx. 120 miles from here.....

Are you going to do your own oil changes or have a shop do them ? If a shop does them, you'll have little say in what oil they use unless a) you bring your own or b) you insist they buy/use a specific oil, which they'll charge you more for.

Originally Posted by MParr
Yes, it has the VW 508.00/509.00 approval.
https://www.lubricants.total.com/11072017-total-launches-new-total-quartz-ineo-long-life-0w-20-art

I saw that sheet too at first, but nowhere did it say it has actual VW approval:
TOTAL QUARTZ INEO LONG LIFE 0W-20 with ART is designed to meet the SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade requirement of European vehicles and is particularly purposed for use in the VW group vehicles, requiring the very specific VW 508.00/509.00 BLUE OIL standard

That sheet I linked does say it is approved but then later on weasel-words it a bit.

What is Volkswagen's definition of Long Life?

The duration of the permitted OCI, whether per the owner's manual or via a monitor system.

Still, the Pennzoil product you posted is inappropriate.

I guess maybe I will have to go to Mobile to get it changed, as bad as I hate to. Kind of a kick in the butt, I suppose,,,,,then run it for 7,500 miles. I personally think it should be changed by 2,500 miles---- this will vary among users here.

Last edited:
There is a monitor system but, when resetting it, it shows next service due at the next 10,000 mile interval. The owner's manual calls for 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted by MParr
There is a monitor system but, when resetting it, it shows next service due at the next 10,000 mile interval. The owner's manual calls for 10,000 miles.

Ok thanks. And this is a 2.0 liter Turbocharged gasoline engine correct? I had to confirm that from a Volkswagen ad.

Originally Posted by widetrax
I guess maybe I will have to go to Mobile to get it changed, as bad as I hate to. Kind of a kick in the butt, I suppose,,,,,then run it for 7,500 miles. I personally think it should be changed by 2,500 miles---- this will vary among users here.

Why not buy the oil and filter online and either change it yourself or find a local indy to do it for you? That link I posted for the Total brand seems like the least expensive and RM European has free shipping over $99.

There's no question the manual asks for C3 so if warranties are an issue then Widetrax should carry on with C3. A1/B1 was apparently superseded by C3. They are both dual purpose oils suitable for gasoline and diesel motor oils. C3 has less sulphated Ash . However, the driving force for this was for Diesel engines, not so much gasoline engines. Like I said if the warranty worries someone then carry on in your search for a C3. Thanks MParr for input.

Last edited:
ACEA A1/B1 was not superseded by C3. Show me where that happened.

Do you have a copy of the owner's manual that says it "asks for C3"?

There's no question the manual asks for C3 so if warranties are an issue then Widetrax should carry on with C3. A1/B1 was apparently superseded by C3. They are both dual purpose oils suitable for gasoline and diesel motor oils. C3 has less sulphated Ash . However, the driving force for this was for Diesel engines, not so much gasoline engines. Like I said if the warranty worries someone then carry on in your search for a C3. Thanks MParr for input.

In the US it says you must use 508

Always use an approved oil that expressly complies with the Volkswagen oil quality standard that applies to your vehicle's engine.

Approved engine oil
Engines Engine oil specification
Gasoline engines VW 508 00

and that you may add no more than .5 LTR/QT of some other choices:

if you need to add oil and there is none available that meets the Volkswagen oil quality standard your engine requires, you may add a total of no more than 1/2 quart (0.5 liter) of an engine oil that meets ACEA A3/B4 or API SN specifications and has a viscosity grade of SAE 0W-20.
OR: if there is no oil available that has a viscosity grade of SAE 0W-20, you may add a total of no more than 1/2 quart (0.5 liter) of an engine oil that meets the oil quality standard VW 502 00 or VW 504 00 and has a viscosity grade of SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30, or SAE 5W-40.
Using oil with a viscosity grade other than SAE 0W-20 may cause vehicle emissions and fuel consumption to increase slightly. Only use other oils in case of emergency!
Use only an engine oil that expressly complies with the Volkswagen oil quality standard specified for your vehicle's engine. Using any other oil can cause serious engine damage that will not be covered by any Volkswagen Limited Warranty.
Do not mix any lubricants or other additives into the engine oil. Doing so can cause engine damage! Damage caused by these kinds of additives are not covered by any Volkswagen Limited Warranty.

We've been over this quite a few times.

It is the OP's car and his choice, but IMO it is foolhardy to risk a 7 year warranty over oil you can get at the dealer for ~$7.50 LTR.

Incidentally US cars are on fixed 10,000 mile / 12 month intervals though this can be adjusted using available programs, other markets are on variable intervals with maximums set based upon the oil used.

Here are a few clippings of the specs of some oils that meet VW 508/509 specs and also some some specs from ACEA. I stand corrected but it looks like its C5 instead of the C3 that I listed. Mobil 1 and Castrol are both C5. For some reason the Motul still says A1/B1. I can't answer for them. Anyway, sorry I said C3. I meant C5. Take this as you like.
smile.gif

Mobil 1 VW 508 509.PNG

Castrol Edge 508.PNG

Motul 508.PNG

AECA A1B1 removed.PNG

ACEA C5.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back