cold radiator hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
He guys have a quick question. i have an 02 qx4 (pathfinder clone) i had to replace a hose on my water pipe. i get everything done, bleed the system but something peculiar is happening. the car is not running hot, i have my scanner and im getting temps of 187 to 194 on it. i drove several miles no over heating but the lower radiator hose is cold. my first thought was the thermostat went out but it was not giving my any trouble and on top of that im getting great heat inside. any ideas what could be causing the cold lower hose? im stumped

IMO you've got a bubble. Try parking with the front higher than the rear and let it run awhile with the cap off.

"Several miles" in winter isn't far enough to overheat.

IMO you've got a bubble. Try parking with the front higher than the rear and let it run awhile with the cap off.

"Several miles" in winter isn't far enough to overheat.

this ^

You are experiencing the phenomena that scientists call "normal operation." The lower radiator hose is where coolant leaves the radiator after its heat has been, umm, radiated away. If you're driving through winter air it's going to stay really cold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378
You are experiencing the phenomena that scientists call "normal operation." The lower radiator hose is where coolant leaves the radiator after its heat has been, umm, radiated away. If you're driving through winter air it's going to stay really cold.

^^This! It doesn't have to be as cool out as you think to find a cold radiator hose during cool weather. The Qx4 has a tow capacity of 5000 lbs, the cooling system is designed to keep the engine cool when its 110 degrees out while towing 5000 lbs... Therefore this engine has plenty of excess cooling capacity when its cool out, not towing, and when you are using some engine heat for the interior.

The fact of the matter is your engine is staying cool and stable, your heat is hot, its working as designed. It's not unusual to trap a little air while opening up the system, keep the overflow topped up and you will be fine at this point.

Last edited:
The temperature seems right

However I will say, if you didn't bleed it with a vacuum filler or spill free funnel, their still is an air pocket in there

Rebleed, and check again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back