Oil weight and Oil Grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Imp4
So I am attempting to show that the terms in question are readily used within the industry by professionals and organizations with knowledge and insight well beyond all but a few that are present here.

That is correct. Now, since this is BITOG, can we use the correct terms if we already know them?

Originally Posted by OilReport99
That is correct. Now, since this is BITOG, can we use the correct terms if we already know them?

I think each member gets to choose individually what to use.
I also think we should acknowledge that others' choices don't make them intellectually less than ourselves.

I think each member gets to choose individually what to use. Agree! Call it "The Breeze"
I also think we should acknowledge that others' choices don't make them intellectually less than ourselves. Agree. It just makes them wrong - including those industry writers.

I never thought there was debate on the subject, but super impressive to see BITOG keeping things real with five pages and counting of commentary on this
lol.gif

While I'm typically quick to insist on proper terms, I feel that this is a pretty harmless one because I cannot envision a situation where anyone is fuzzy about what is about to happen when a statement like "I'm going top off the motor on my lawnmower with some straight 30 weight oil." is made. Well, maybe if an overly pedantic person is part of the conversation, where they chime in with something like "DoN't YoU mEaN GrAdE???" Words mean things, but I don't see anyone being misled by the colloquial "weight" opposed to the technically correct "grade". Not at all like a statement like, "I just installed 100 Watt LED bulbs in my entire house."

Originally Posted by WANG
I never thought there was debate on the subject, but super impressive to see BITOG keeping things real with five pages and counting of commentary on this
lol.gif

While I'm typically quick to insist on proper terms, I feel that this is a pretty harmless one because I cannot envision a situation where anyone is fuzzy about what is about to happen when a statement like "I'm going top off the motor on my lawnmower with some straight 30 weight oil." is made. Well, maybe if an overly pedantic person is part of the conversation, where they chime in with something like "DoN't YoU mEaN GrAdE???" Words mean things, but I don't see anyone being misled by the colloquial "weight" opposed to the technically correct "grade". Not at all like a statement like, "I just installed 100 Watt LED bulbs in my entire house."

Isn't that the same person?

Originally Posted by WANG
lol.gif

Isn't that the same person?

No. The lighting scenario is an example that requires correct terminology. An LED array that consumes 100 Watts-hour and an LED array that has comparable light output to a 100 Watt incandescent are completely different things. The statement, "All building entrances shall be provided with 100 Watt lights" is ambiguous even if you aren't being pedantic. "Topping up the mower with some 30 weight" is not ambiguous, so it doesn't bother me.

I think each member gets to choose individually what to use. - agreed; if this were some industry working group or academic discussion then one could, for clarity's sake, make the case for using "correct" terms and not colloquialisms. But that's not what we have here. We have an eclectic mix, from the academic to the shade tree mechanic to the DIYer, of varying knowledge levels and command of, or lack thereof, the different terminologies should not be a hurdle in discussion participation.

I also think we should acknowledge that others' choices don't make them intellectually less than ourselves. - agreed; as I stated previously, using colloquial terms is "proof" of nothing. To suggest someone is unknowledgeable about a topic because they choose to use colloquial terms is, IMO, arrogance/snobbery, at least in this setting. A person's knowledge on a subject should be predicated on the substance of what's said.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I'm gonna print this post and carry it to my safety deposit box for safe keeping.

...‚...‚...‚

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
It's grade, not weight. End of story.

Except you're not in charge.
And the thread has documented many professionals in the industry working with the colloquialism as has been discussed.

Don't get me wrong, it's important for you to do you.
You're free to draw the same conclusions that you've already made perfectly clear.

Just please be aware that there are many folks (professionals and industry leading organizations included) out there getting along quite well that you would mis-categorize.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
All of which is interesting and helps your case, but still it is not a weight it is a grade. Especially since grades are ranges, as it is with motor oil grades.

I'm not a purist on this but it is a grade not a weight.

Unless I missed something I don't see Imp arguing that it's not but rather the two terms are generally considered interchangeable with one another, albeit one being more scientifically accurate than the other (just as Chapstick is to lip balm or Advil is to ibuprofen and so on)...but for the avg lay person, weight is grade and grade is weight. And no matter which is being used, I'd wager there's close to zero ambiguity (even amongst the lay person) of what's being spoken about.

Last edited:
Perhaps there is some industry carry over from this system … but I'm just happy enough with 5w30 et al … or following some similar numbers since the w is always there

5B9F10BE-6D09-422D-864A-90ABCF315B7C.png

I think people have too much spare time on their hands if this got to 7 pages.

What about "fill the car with gas"? Do you really want the entire car filled with gas, or just the gas tank?

People know what you mean if not technically accurate.

If you ask for 30 weight oil, anyone who knows how to read an oil label will know what you mean.

My first two jobs were working part time at both a Gulf and Exxon. Gulf was single G and multi G. The Exxon was UniFlo or SAE ....
My dad and most of the oil change customers still asked for "30 weight" ...

Originally Posted by Donald
What about "fill the car with gas"? Do you really want the entire car filled with gas, or just the gas tank?

"Gas" is just short for gasoline. There's only one place to install gasoline.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Donald
... What about "fill the car with gas"? Do you really want the entire car filled with gas, or just the gas tank? ...
Besides, the interior is already mostly filled with gas---a gas called air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back