expensive rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
The fronts of my Ram are getting rusty, this company (brakemotive.com) had a nearly unbelievable price on 2 front zinc plated, drilled/slotted rotors, with a set of ceramic pads, even a bottle of brake fluid, for under $120 TOTAL in their eBay store. I'm going to try them on the Ram 3500 in my sig, I already have a set on the front of the xB which still look brand new after almost 3 years!

When the zinc coating over the braking surface of the rotor wears off does it gum up the pads? Seems other companies are careful to not coat the braking surface.

It hasn't worn off, or gummed up anything yet on the xB. If Old Man Winter ever sends us some snow or ice here in Cincinnati, I'll put up some pictures. Last I saw they only had light circular scratches from the pads. I would think the slots would cause any debris to slough off in operation(?)

Turning the rotors with an on brake lathe, and paying a mechanic to install new pads may have made more sense here.

Especially if you had to take apart the hub, and repack wheel bearings to take the rotor off. I'm not sure if those HD trucks are like that but some of my F150's were.

I have regular Wagner discs on my Corolla now for over 2 years, and they are great! Much better than the jobber set I got on ebay last time...

Many NAPA stores still turn rotors, particularly those that have a small machine shop. It might be worth asking around. Turn the old rotors and hang on to them for next time.

Originally Posted by BHopkins
Many NAPA stores still turn rotors....

The O'Reillys in our town turns rotors as does a small, regional chain around here (Smyth's).

What's the thickness of the rotors? The problem with turning them is that normally they're so thin, by the time you turn them, there's not much thickness left and once you drive on them for a little while, they get warped and you end up with a vibration.

I've done pad slaps before where if the rotor is fine, you don't even bother turning them, you just put a new set of pads on them and they're fine. Otherwise just get a new set of rotors.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I just spent $263 at RA for pads and rotors for pickup. Nothing fancy, Akebono pads and Wagner coated rotors. And of course RA crazy shipping charges. Seems like a lot.

Fronts, or all the way around?

Rear only

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
The fronts of my Ram are getting rusty, this company (brakemotive.com) had a nearly unbelievable price on 2 front zinc plated, drilled/slotted rotors, with a set of ceramic pads, even a bottle of brake fluid, for under $120 TOTAL in their eBay store. I'm going to try them on the Ram 3500 in my sig, I already have a set on the front of the xB which still look brand new after almost 3 years!

When the zinc coating over the braking surface of the rotor wears off does it gum up the pads? Seems other companies are careful to not coat the braking surface.

Not if you drag the brakes very lightly for the first few stops.

I gave up on turning rotors. The cast is so bad now that the warp comes right back.
I just put all new brakes on my 90 c1500 recently and I put my trust in ac delco professional. Not sure if those are even good any more. I think it was $263 for 2 rotors 2 drums semi metallic pads and shoes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by P10crew
I gave up on turning rotors. The cast is so bad now that the warp comes right back.

My experience as well. Never had a set of rotors that pulsated , not return after a few miles after turning. I just replace now.

Originally Posted by P10crew

As others have said, rotors seem to be just thicker than what the automaker specs as the minimum thickness to allow some wear but no add'l material for machining. So you've got a relatively thin rotor to start with which can't dissipates as much heat so they warp sooner. Then you machine them, making them thinner, and less able to dissipate heat. Most aftermarket rotors truly are throwaway parts nowadays.

I see the lathe every time I dump waste oil at Orielly's. One end of it is covered by manuals and catalogs. I did ask one of the guys 1 time I dumped oil when's the last time they used the brake lathe. His answer was "what's a brake lathe?".

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I've done pad slaps before where if the rotor is fine, you don't even bother turning them, you just put a new set of pads on them and they're fine. Otherwise just get a new set of rotors.

Just did this on my wife's 2017 Explorer at 49,000 miles for the rear brakes. The factory rotors looked and felt smooth enough. Just put new pads on and it stops very smoothly. The factory front and rear rotors are huge on the 2017 Explorer compared to the rotors on my 2005 Explorer and 2002 F-150 Supercab long bed. Maybe because they are small and probably heat up a lot in the heavy vehicles they always needed replacement.

Whimsey

There's only a couple places within 30 miles of me that will turn rotors. The other places that do say that they just give it to one of two shops in the area that does (one NAPA by me.) I don't bother with turning rotors anyways; whether it's the basic $600/set for the evo and definitely wouldn't have done it for expensive $500/corner rotors.

Ha. Many of you are illuminating why my old SRT8 has been such a keeper.

14.2 inch front rotors are under 75 bucks and 13.8 inch rears about the same or less.

I have one set of "bling" rotors that are slotted and drilled. They will likely be machined for the second time this year. My other set are the OEM! They are all wrapped in plastic and oil sprayed to patiently wait till I need them. Machining is no problem when you have a BIL who does painstaking work!

I am still using the original 4 piston fixed calipers, every time I do my brakes I am amazed at how easy this car is to maintain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back