Permatex Brake Lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across these two Permatex products in Calgary, hence the French at the bottom. I take it these products are for the pins but would you also use it for the pad ears? Any opinions on Ceramic vs Silicone? Thanks. Enjoy the photos.

7386D905-5A13-4C83-A62A-F30628F4CC13.jpeg

1A75D40E-2480-4F32-A939-CA1613B2D356.jpeg

Last edited:
Permatex Extreme appears to be a synthetic petroleum oil based formula that just has the ceramic because it is going to melt and separate leaving the solids and a gummy mess behind.

You're better off with a true silicone base grease for all of it, which does not need any metal or ceramic in it as a thickener.

On essentially all brake parts, I use silicone paste that is stable up to 570°F.
It also works as a dielectric, and is the best lube/preservative for weather stripping, hoses, and other rubbery things.

I know some folks advocate two different lubes, one for the pins and one for the ears and backs. This silicone lube instruction says just one lube is required. Any thoughts? Thanks.

F78BDFC3-D04B-469F-8548-09EABD4F5FB0.jpeg

F14D13CF-2BA0-4E84-8BA4-2D6A936A692A.jpeg

Personally I use the Sil-Glyde at home at work they provide the Purple Permatex I use those on everything the pad ears and the slide pins haven’t had a problem with it disappearing.

That purple stuff really screws up the slide pin bushings.

OT, does your dealer use the procut on-car lathes?
I didn’t know it would mess up the slide pins. No we still have the old school one where you have to take the rotor off I know they were talking about getting us one but I think everything being so slow they delayed that I did use the Procut on car brake lathe in high school though those things are amazing.

I didn’t know it would mess up the slide pins. No we still have the old school one where you have to take the rotor off I know they were talking about getting us one but I think everything being so slow they delayed that I did use the Procut on car brake lathe in high school though those things are amazing.
It swells the rubber and makes the pin get stuck. Seems to be a real problem on the 07-17 Camry front calipers, at least in my experience. Those caliper pins fit very tightly in there already and if the bushings swell, those pads are guaranteed to wear funny.

In the description:

A 100% synthetic formula, coupled with real ceramic solids make this premium brake lubricant our longest lasting, most temperature resistant way to silence brake noise. Effective from -50°F to 3000°F (-46°C to 1649°C), this product maintains its lubricating integrity under the most extreme conditions. Resistant to corrosion and contaminants, it will not wash out. For metal-to-metal contact only.

It swells the rubber and makes the pin get stuck. Seems to be a real problem on the 07-17 Camry front calipers, at least in my experience. Those caliper pins fit very tightly in there already and if the bushings swell, those pads are guaranteed to wear funny.
That’s good to know as my mom has a 2017 Camry my dad has an 04 but I don’t do brakes there at the dealership I do those on my cars at home so they will get Sil-Glyde used on them. I know what you are talking about though with the pins getting stuck those are a real pain I usually pry them out with a pry bar.

In the description:

A 100% synthetic formula, coupled with real ceramic solids make this premium brake lubricant our longest lasting, most temperature resistant way to silence brake noise. Effective from -50°F to 3000°F (-46°C to 1649°C), this product maintains its lubricating integrity under the most extreme conditions. Resistant to corrosion and contaminants, it will not wash out. For metal-to-metal contact only.
Wow lol I will bring that to my bosses attention I had no idea about that it’s just there so I use it maybe I can tell him if we are able to order something else for the pins.

Wow lol I will bring that to my bosses attention I had no idea about that it’s just there so I use it maybe I can tell him if we are able to order something else for the pins.
Here's the link

Here's the Silicone + Ceramic, that is rubber compatible for the guide pin bushings

Right on Critic. I won't use any Permatex brake grease. All the various colors of that goop deteriorate rubber and make the lower pin with the bushing a bear to remove.

I’m curious if the silicone ceramic is any good. Ive used crc silaramic on metal to metal contact points plenty of times without any issues.

Right on Critic. I won't use any Permatex brake grease. All the various colors of that goop deteriorate rubber and make the lower pin with the bushing a bear to remove.
There seems to be four products, if you include the one that is “new and improved.” You’ve purchased all four, tried them, had an opportunity to work on the same set of brakes and found they did not do the job. And Permatex does not have a decent product. ;) It sounds like the Purple Ceramic Extreme is the problem, however, it said “for metal to metal only” . Perhaps they should have been more specific and said “ not for guide pins in contact with rubber” or something to that effect. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back