Synthetic Power Steering Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by discountdon
Originally Posted by TXCarGeek
Don't pay for Prime regularly. Generally isn't worth it for my needs. Sometimes I'll take advantage of the occasional free month that amazon gives me but I don't have a continuous membership.

Looks like LG can be had at my local O'reilly though.

discountdon's influence is felt
wink.gif

my job is done, goodnight!

Is LG a clear/amber fluid like most other PSFs?

Yes - all hydraulic fluids designated as PSF are Amber. Green for some Euro-Spec, I dunno about or Royal Purple: they may dye their's purple?

LG also has a non-synthetic PSF which I picked up for under $11 for 2 qts. shipped which I used as a flushing fluid.

free shipping can be accomplished with an eligible $25 minimum purchase at Jeff Bezo's store...

Good deal. Still don't like that they say it's compatible with literally everything...definitely wouldn't put that generic universal stuff in my BMW, but the Silverado and Jeep shouldn't be too fussy. When I can, I avoid fluids that are advertised as being 'multi-vehicle' or 'universal.'

As for the free shipping on Amazon for $25, if I can find what I need locally without having to wait for it, I prefer to patronize local business that employ local people.

Last edited:
Jeff Bezos' fulfillment center's (built with union contractors) associates, the last-mile deliver company (locally owned w/ leased vans) w/ their over-worked & underpaid couriers are all local people
banana2.gif

None of those here...rural area so no fulfillment centers or last-mile delivery companies in my city. Different story if I was in a larger metro area.

The Lubegard power steering fluid is a great product. You can buy it at O'Reilly if you want it right away or buy it cheaper online.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe
The Lubegard power steering fluid is a great product. You can buy it at O'Reilly if you want it right away or buy it cheaper online.

It's surprisingly cheaper at O'Reilly than on Amazon. I have some other projects I need to take care of first on my vehicles so I'll eventually get to the power steering flushes for the Jeep and Silverado.

Last edited:
May I throw in an "application question"? No thread highjack intended.

My 2005 ranger uses MERCON as its P/S fluid. I'll check to see if that has been superseded to MERCON V.

Can I switch over to a synthetic?

I have used M1 ATF in my PS pumps in my Fords for the last 30 years and have not had any leaks or pump failures. Also I have not noticed any unusual pump noises even in sub zero temps.

I have a '99 Wrangler and an '08 Silverado and they both are in need of a power steering fluid replacement. I'm wanting to go with a synthetic this time around but there doesn't seem to be too many options especially that are available locally. The main options that I can readily pick up locally are Driven Synthetic psf, Royal Purple MaxEZ psf, and Prestone Full Syn psf for American vehicles.

There's always Amsoil but that's likely going to be pricier and not as readily available. Are there any other brands I should be looking at? The prestone full syn seems to be the best deal.

You have an Advance Auto Parts store ?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/w...0power%20steering%20fluid&isFitted=1

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=0&query=synthetic+power+steering+fluid

If not , AutoZone , O'Reilly , Walmart or NAPA ?

I've been using synthetic ATF in the PS systems of many vehicles from the big 3 for the past 30 years. Never had a problem...just my experience.

Originally Posted by Kira

My 2005 ranger uses MERCON as its P/S fluid. I'll check to see if that has been superseded to MERCON V.

I would just find a synthetic mercon fluid. I believe Valvoline and Mobil 1 has one.

Originally Posted by Kira

Yes you can

P/S fluid is probably the most neglected fluid in a vehicle
Most never get changed in the entire life of the vehicle

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150

Doesn't this imply that the p/s fluid is exactly appropriate for the life of the vehicle?
Vehicle lifetime with no change implies that the p/s pump didn't fail either.

Seems like it's good enough to me...
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Imp4

Doesn't this imply that the p/s fluid is exactly appropriate for the life of the vehicle?

cheers3.gif

That is likely correct! However, what is the "normal" lifetime of a vehicle? As far as the manufacturer is concerned it is the end of the warranty. As far as I'm concerned my car's life is over when it finally gives up the ghost after lots more miles (or when someone texts/drives and runs into it). Until then, I like to keep all systems, including the PS, in top shape.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RyanY
That is likely correct! However, what is the "normal" lifetime of a vehicle? As far as the manufacturer is concerned it is the end of the warranty. As far as I'm concerned my car's life is over when it finally gives up the ghost after lots more miles (or when someone texts/drives and runs into it). Until then, I like to keep all systems, including the PS, in top shape.

Please reread kstanf150's post.
Nobody is talking about the manufacturer warranty period.
Only about the entire life of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by RyanY

Please reread kstanf150's post.
Nobody is talking about the manufacturer warranty period.
Only about the entire life of the vehicle.

My point was that most cars don't last long enough, on average, that PS fluid becomes non serviceable. For those of us who hope to drive cars to 200-300k, or well beyond the normal lifespan, I would argue that PS fluid will not function well for the lifetime of the vehicle. For example I have seen cars with gunked PS systems at 80k miles. Others were fine at 150k. Therefore in some cases the PS fluid lasts the lifetime of the car. In others it does not. Just depends on how long the lifetime is.

Last edited:
My point is that the vast majority don't maintain the P/S system as they should. Then it fails at 80K or 200K when most probably would have performed much longer with a regular fluid change.

cheers3.gif

I recently serviced the PS in my trusty Tundra with just shy of 200K on the clock.
While it already drove and steered very well, the service improved the steering feel.
Like butta....

This is true for all the cars I service.
Just my experience.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

cheers3.gif

I recently serviced the PS in my trusty Tundra with just shy of 200K on the clock.
While it already drove and steered very well, the service improved the steering feel.
Like butta....

This is true for all the cars I service.
Just my experience.

Notice any change in the sound of p/s unit ? Older model Ford units can become very noisy and loud. A fluid change can help those a lot most of the time

Notice any change in the sound of p/s unit ? Older model Ford units can become very noisy and loud. A fluid change can help those a lot most of the time

I have not noticed a difference in the ps pump after a fluid service, but then again I was not listening either.
If there was a difference, it was slight at best.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

I have not noticed a difference in the ps pump after a fluid service, but then again I was not listening either.
If there was a difference, it was slight at best.

Toyota pumps are probably not prone to being noisy I don't think

The fluid in my Silverado has likely never been replaced. My grandfather had it religiously serviced at the local chevy dealership every 3000k miles; I received a printout of three pages worth of work that the dealership performed since it was new...I did not see anything for the PSF and if it is indeed showing it's age after 140k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back