2013 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 V6 Blown up engine 109k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Propflux01
You could also say that there is only 6 engines because none ever show up in the salvage yards....

Except that doesn't pass basic logic which stipulates that a certain percentage of vehicles will end up in the salvage yard due to collisions, so unless there are vastly fewer of these vehicles on the road, to make up the spread between this model and that from other marques, the obvious conclusion is that there are fewer available because of higher demand.

So you are stating that only Hyundai engines are few and far between simply because they are less reliable? How about adding location to that.Perhaps sales in that area are not as good as sales from other areas. My point is, and can be verified by simple google search, is that the lambda 3.3L engine is a very reliable engine altogether, and has few, if any issues. Lemons do happen, and it appears the OP got one.

You could also say that there is only 6 engines because none ever show up in the salvage yards....

Except that doesn't pass basic logic which stipulates that a certain percentage of vehicles will end up in the salvage yard due to collisions, so unless there are vastly fewer of these vehicles on the road, to make up the spread between this model and that from other marques, the obvious conclusion is that there are fewer available because of higher demand.

So you are stating that only Hyundai engines are few and far between simply because they are less reliable? How about adding location to that.Perhaps sales in that area are not as good as sales from other areas. My point is, and can be verified by simple google search, is that the lambda 3.3L engine is a very reliable engine altogether, and has few, if any issues. Lemons do happen, and it appears the OP got one.

As an owner I would have to agree. That motor at 290 horsepower really moves when you need it.

I'm saying collision rates aren't going to favour any one marque so if sales are reasonably similar and there are a glut of Toyota engines and few and far between of the Hyundai ones then that points to them being in higher demand.

Sales are not similar. Hyundai sells fewer cars than Toyota. I'm willing to bet there are less Subaru engines in the yards for the same reason.

And that's the caveat. You'd need to know sales figures for that model to properly determine the ratio in order to figure out if that's the primary driver or demand is for lack of availability. So, circling back to your original point, which was "because none ever show up in the salvage yards", collisions are what that volume will be based on, not reliability, so unless sales have been appallingly low; lower than demand for salvage parts, a wrecker charging a premium for components is most likely due to higher demand. But as I said, you'd really need to know sales figures to properly gauge that.

Sales are not similar. Hyundai sells fewer cars than Toyota. I'm willing to bet there are less Subaru engines in the yards for the same reason.

And that's the caveat. You'd need to know sales figures for that model to properly determine the ratio in order to figure out if that's the primary driver or demand is for lack of availability. So, circling back to your original point, which was "because none ever show up in the salvage yards", collisions are what that volume will be based on, not reliability, so unless sales have been appallingly low; lower than demand for salvage parts, a wrecker charging a premium for components is most likely due to higher demand. But as I said, you'd really need to know sales figures to properly gauge that.

I'm voting that Toyota drivers are just worse drivers.
lol.gif

Ok, only in half jest. The Astrovan had some horrible crash protection yet had one of the best accident records, presumably due to how they were used.

Originally Posted by supton

I'm voting that Toyota drivers are just worse drivers.
lol.gif

Ok, only in half jest. The Astrovan had some horrible crash protection yet had one of the best accident records, presumably due to how they were used.

and possibly because people knew they would die if they hit something - like many of those early minivans.

Any car that sells as well as a camry/accord/etc is going to have tremendous parts availability. I suspect that fewer cars with the Nissan 5.0 that is in my daily driver were imported into the US than the number of camrys that end up in a junkyard in year. The same is probably true of non-4 cylinder hyundai/kias.

Last edited:
Welp...

It's been over 3 weeks and still no Santa Fe. Getting quite frustrated.
They are having a hard time getting some dealer-only part to reinstall the engine into the vehicle. They were supposed to be doing compression tests a week ago, that hasn't happened yet. Every time we call it's a different %$&* excuse.
They gave us a 248,000 mile GMC Envoy loaner last week finally after begging since we were down one dedicated vehicle. I have their loaner vehicle and their money. When they are ready to trade loaner/money for a running and driving Santa Fe with rebuilt engine they can call me!

The engine is assembled, but something needed to install engine in the vehicle is the hangup. They won't give me details over the phone... Might surprise them on my way home from work today and see what the HE!! is going on.

Any updates?

I have the same vehicle and have the rattle at start up which is a little concerning.... Especially now.

Did you ever find out where the anti drain back valve is? Filter doesn't have one.....

I've also seen pictured showing the defective timing chain tensioner. The ratcheting teeth wear out so it doesn't keep tension on the chain when the oil pressure drops.

Was debating weather or not to do a UOA in the spring with the oil change. Now I've decided it's definately happening.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles you're having. Definately sucks and super frustrating. I'm hoping I have a better experience with ours. 128,000 kms on the clock right now....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by STIcandy
Any updates?

I have the same vehicle and have the rattle at start up which is a little concerning.... Especially now.

Did you ever find out where the anti drain back valve is? Filter doesn't have one.....

I've also seen pictured showing the defective timing chain tensioner. The ratcheting teeth wear out so it doesn't keep tension on the chain when the oil pressure drops.

Was debating weather or not to do a UOA in the spring with the oil change. Now I've decided it's definately happening.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles you're having. Definately sucks and super frustrating. I'm hoping I have a better experience with ours. 128,000 kms on the clock right now....

The rattle at startup (3.3 V6) is the beginning signs that the oil pump is starting to fail. Unfortunately the engine must be removed from the vehicle to replace it.
I would HIGHLY recommend a UOA at the end of your next oil change interval.

The repair shop wanted our business but wouldn't warranty either of the available salvage yard engines, so that's the main reason why we opted for the rebuild instead which they quoted for the same price as the lower-mileage price equivalent salvage yard engine installation cost.

45 days and counting. The engine shop is blaming dealer supply-chain issue as the reason for the engine rebuild not being complete. This is asinine!
They're calling ME and complaining about the vehicle occupying a bay in their building. HELLO maybe you should have ordered all the parts at the time you started machining the block instead of waiting 2 weeks until all the machining was complete and then ordering all the gaskets, etc.
They said that the short block is assembled but they're trying to source the gaskets/parts from a supplier in California (Chinese knockoffs anyone?).

This is absolutely absurd. We wrote a formal letter giving them till the 21st to complete the work. Then it's on to the BBB and any local news source that wants to hear us out!

Originally Posted by 1911CHAMPION

The rattle at startup (3.3 V6) is the beginning signs that the oil pump is starting to fail. Unfortunately the engine must be removed from the vehicle to replace it.

Seriously? You know how many brand new Hyundai/Kia 3.3's I've heard rattle at start up? A bunch of them. So the oil pumps are faulty from the get-go?

Originally Posted by GoldDot40
Originally Posted by 1911CHAMPION

Seriously? You know how many brand new Hyundai/Kia 3.3's I've heard rattle at start up? A bunch of them. So the oil pumps are faulty from the get-go?

Yep-this is an absolutely inaccurate statement.

With the talk about questionable Hyuindai engines , how about the Kia cars / engines .

Cousin of ours bought one a year or two ago & I wjsh them all the best .

My wife was hit a couple of weeks ago by a lady running a stop sign . If insurance totals it , will likely replace the Sonic with another GM car . Or a Ford .

Wyr
God bless

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
With the talk about questionable Hyuindai engines , how about the Kia cars / engines .

My wife was hit a couple of weeks ago by a lady running a stop sign . If insurance totals it , will likely replace the Sonic with another GM car . Or a Ford .

Wyr
God bless

Yes because GM and Ford are so well known for their reliability, longevity and quality.

Let's face it. The cars we all knew and loved for hundreds of thousands of miles through years and years of service are gone. Even the most recent Honda's and Toyota's have had their fair share of issues (*cough* Toyota's 2.4 oil burner, *cough* Honda's oil dilutors *cough*).

All that aside, I worked as a tech for GM for 12 years. It wasn't until I left and became a customer that I became privy to their pi$$ poor customer service.

I'll still take an "import" (and I use that term loosely, because there's more of them built in Canada then domestics) any day of the week. If nothing else, at least their values don't depreciate to barely more than scrap value inside of 10 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
Any news on this one yet?

NOPE! Still @ the engine rebuild shop. Same lame excuse last week when I called.
"Can't get gaskets from dealer and the ones they ordered from California were supposed to ship on the 11th" I'm giving them another call in about 45 minutes to figure out what the heck is going on...

Their repair bay is occupied with my vehicle and I have their loaner (which they've asked repeatedly for me to return because other customers need loaners; at which point I replied ‘and this is my problem because...?').

Originally Posted by STIcandy
Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Wyr
God bless

Yes because GM and Ford are so well known for their reliability, longevity and quality.

Let's face it. The cars we all knew and loved for hundreds of thousands of miles through years and years of service are gone. Even the most recent Honda's and Toyota's have had their fair share of issues (*cough* Toyota's 2.4 oil burner, *cough* Honda's oil dilutors *cough*).

All that aside, I worked as a tech for GM for 12 years. It wasn't until I left and became a customer that I became privy to their pi$$ poor customer service.

I'll still take an "import" (and I use that term loosely, because there's more of them built in Canada then domestics) any day of the week. If nothing else, at least their values don't depreciate to barely more than scrap value inside of 10 years.

Just bought a 2020 Tundra with an engine design that is 13 years old and while considered very dependable they still have a known issue with cam-tower leaks that has been occurring the entire 13 years. There are no perfect engine designs regardless of manufacturer.

Last edited:
^^^ congrats on the tundra.

My '06 was probably the most reliable vehicle I've owned, and it had a real life of heavy towing. Engine and tranny ran like a swiss watch even at 150,000. Engine-wise, It needed valve cover gaskets around 140,000 and that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back