Marvel Mystery Oil - My test of MMO & mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
I say apparent as that was the way I was taught in college, and if you Google the term it is in use. Generally the base octane rating is how the fuel under test compares to straight iso-octane (and comparatively against heptane) with no additives, and then when antiknock additives are added it increases the "octane" rating, which isn't due to the base molecules but instead the additive. I've always seen that listed as the apparent octane rating in literature or descriptions. So although the end result is the same (a printed octane rating on the pump label) it distinguishes between the actual octane rating of the hydrocarbon base and the observed performance of the finished fuel in the test engine.

And yeah, there is no need for lead whatsoever in today's automobile engines and no need for additional lubrication. Even if you did have an old engine that had soft seats there's no indication MMO would provide the same benefit as lead to reduce the welding you mention. My point being that lead wasn't there just running around "lubricating" stuff in the engine. If anything it was largely a detriment and caused other issues which were eliminated with unleaded fuel.

Fair enough-admittedly I'm a chemist and not a chemical engineer, but it's always been my understanding that the only way an octane rating can actually be determined is experimentally(using the standardized 1-cylinder engine). Of course, the "calibration points" are iso-octane at 100 and n-heptane at 0, although the now-defunct Kentucky Centralized Fuel Lab I visited/saw in operation used toluene as one of their standards.

I'm also in agreement that MMO doesn't provide any meaningful benefit for reducing valve erosion/recession in fuels designed to run unleaded fuel. I have seen one lead substitute that contains calcium compounds and I suppose MIGHT work, but the vast majority of the ones you see on the shelf are mostly kerosene and often some toluene/xylene tossed in. Presumably the latter increases the octane rating to counteract THAT aspect. The calcium stuff I've seen is expensive enough(and I'm skeptical about having a metal that reactive in the combustion chamber, even if it does have some of the same affects as lead) that rehabbing the head with hardened seats would seem to me to be preferable. Admittedly my MG is a 4 cylinder and not a V8, but I was quoted about $400 for crack checking, surfacing, lapping the intake valves, fitting hardened exhaust seats, and fitting new exhaust valves. Since my head had a visible crack, I spent $700 on a rehabbed head that was ready to drop on the car...

I do see some value in having heavier than normal compounds in gasoline to lubricate the valve stems. As I mentioned too, I seem to have few stuck carburetor needle valves with MMO in my gasoline.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Fair enough-admittedly I'm a chemist and not a chemical engineer, but it's always been my understanding that the only way an octane rating can actually be determined is experimentally(using the standardized 1-cylinder engine). Of course, the "calibration points" are iso-octane at 100 and n-heptane at 0, although the now-defunct Kentucky Centralized Fuel Lab I visited/saw in operation used toluene as one of their standards.

Yes that is correct we used the same engine in school. It just comes down to semantics really, the octane rating is what it is when the fuel is tested and the only reason the word "apparent" is used is to distinguish the results of the base hydrocarbon fuel compared to after adding octane improvers, if any. TEL increases the octane rating but it does so by a different method than by how highly branched the octane molecule is, which is the traditional definition of octane rating (and allows ratings in excess of 100).

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Our detailed analysis of a few years ago showed that MMO contains a small amount of a chlorobenzene-type cleaner and some phosphorus that could act as a possible deposit scavenger when mixed in fuel, but nothing stood out that there is anything in it that could improve mileage.

Question: What component in a fuel system requires lubrication?

What is the base liquid Mola. Kerosene? How about the viscosity? Thanks Mola
cheers3.gif

MMO Lab Analysis

I use MMO in both my vehicles. I have used it in Versa Note when the vehicle was new. I use it in my F150 in the rebuilt engine. I use it to keep the engine clean and for UCL. My wife swears she can tell when I have gotten lazy about putting MMO in the Versa Note. Milage goes down a bit. I also notice a slight drop in the F150 when I am not consistent about putting it in. The biggest reason I use it though is preventative cleaning and UCL. The milage improvement is just a bonus for me. Milage difference on the Versa Note is of course larger than on the F150. I see around 1.5 mpg higher there. Small but it is there. The F150 gets about .5 to .75 better. Basically the difference of seeing 14.1 instead of 13.4 on a fill up. That makes me feel like something just has to be happening under the hood that gives me a bonus reason to use it.

I use MMO for my oldest car, which is carbureted. This engine is known for producing a lot of carbon deposits, no matter how finely tuned the carb is. I cleaned it a lot using a strong cleaner over a few tanks. According to the spark plugs, that did a pretty good job and I feel the engine running much smoother.

I now use MMO to keep it that way and hopefully prevent future deposits.

I also use it for all my OPE, but not for my fuel injected vehicles.

Y'all have just ruined most of my previously logically deduced reasoning as to the value of adding MMO and Stabil to my gas tanks. Shame on you for presenting me facts.

Oh, but there is one thing you can't take away. That warm fuzzy feeling I get when I'm adding them to my gas. Screw logic. I haven't even checked my mpg. I KNOW it's gotta be up 2-5 mpg's!
LOL! No matter what you say, you can't take that arrogant prideful emotion I get when I'm standing there at my Top Tier pumps adding my love lubricants right before I add my high potency cleaning gasoline.

Seriously, I add them both to the cars I don't drive a lot. The church van gets a dose as well...

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Geez, I been using MMO for about 50 years. Good for some stuff, not for others. Never had any luck as fuel additive ...

Barryman B-12, now that works well as a fuel additive. But it gets pricey if you are doing full can per fill-up ...

Not trying to hijack the thread ... just curious, if not used as a fuel additive, what are your preferred uses for MMO?

I have a sideXside with a GY6 150cc engine in it. If I dont run MMO it has a flat spot in the power about 1/2 throttle. Kind of weird. No adjustments on the Chinese carb so I just run the MMO. On the other hand I have a Yamaha golf cart. 360cc 4 stroke. That thing wont run good at low speeds without a little TCW3. Kind of weird also. Using top teir gas. Both run great with the needed little additive. Tried things in my regular vehicles notice nothing.

Some cars love it. Some cars just don't care about it. Some cars need it while other don't miss it one bit. We have heard a lot of car stories here. I use it on both of mine. One car is pretty new. 2014. Wife claims she can tell I haven't put it in just by watching the MPG readout on the dash. 97 Rebuilt engine on the Ford seems to not care much either way. I still use it. It may or may not help in the long haul. Either way I feel good it's in my tank.

Purchased my first bottle of MMO last week. I poured in the appropriate amount for my 24 gallon diesel tank and have driven 400 miles. My little 3.0 L Diesel, V6 has 103,000 miles on it.

Not that my little diesel is a loud, noisy, rattle-cage.... but it has smoothed out and is quieter. Just for that reason... I think I am "SOLD" and will continue on with it moving forward. I haven't monitored MPG..... but might in the future.

My wife drives the Mercedes ML250, which is a 2.1 L, twin turbo, four cylinder diesel. It has 86,000 miles on it and I think we will start MMO with it as well.

Originally Posted by BigJohn
Purchased my first bottle of MMO last week. I poured in the appropriate amount for my 24 gallon diesel tank and have driven 400 miles. My little 3.0 L Diesel, V6 has 103,000 miles on it.

Not that my little diesel is a loud, noisy, rattle-cage.... but it has smoothed out and is quieter. Just for that reason... I think I am "SOLD" and will continue on with it moving forward. I haven't monitored MPG..... but might in the future.

My wife drives the Mercedes ML250, which is a 2.1 L, twin turbo, four cylinder diesel. It has 86,000 miles on it and I think we will start MMO with it as well.

You might want to rethink that. MMO in diesel fuel reduces lubricity.

17) Marvel Mystery Oil
Gas, Oil and Diesel fuel additive (NOT ULSD compliant, may damage
2007 and newer systems)
HFRR 678, 42 microns worse than baseline fuel.
320:1 ratio
10.4 oz/tank
$3.22/tank

https://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

Ed

Originally Posted by edhackett
Originally Posted by BigJohn

You might want to rethink that. MMO in diesel fuel reduces lubricity.

17) Marvel Mystery Oil
Gas, Oil and Diesel fuel additive (NOT ULSD compliant, may damage
2007 and newer systems)
HFRR 678, 42 microns worse than baseline fuel.
320:1 ratio
10.4 oz/tank
$3.22/tank

https://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

Ed

Yeah... interesting study. I don't see any 2nd party, scientific validation.

But your point is well-taken and causing me to research further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back