What oil and filter for 2012 Hyundai Tuscon 4 cylinder in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has under 13k miles, will be driven around town and infrequent highway driving. Mostly daily driver. In Central Florida.

Looks like your vehicle calls for 5w20. Take your pick of any available on the shelf. same for filter.

We should cover all weights or is it grades or viscosity grades?
grin2.gif

Since you live in Florida 10W30

This has the 2.0/2.4L Theta2 engine, right? Hyundai said that the Tuscon Theta's were unaffected by the metal shavings/bearings problems in other models with the Theta2 but you'll find reports of Tuscon owners complaining about bearing/connecting rod issues. Might not ever effect you as not every Tuscon owner reports this problem but if it were me I'd use something thicker than the 5w20..at minimum a thicker oil film with a 5w30. Use the OE filters and change the oil severe service and just maybe you can avoid becoming a member of the failed Theta2 engine club.

Fwiw, Hyundai recalled nearly a million Theta2 engines between something like 2011 and 2015 but like I said, the Tuscon was not a part of the recall because they claimed those engines were made on a different production line and despite some record of engine failures, the Tuscon has largely avoided the the scale of problems other models (like the Sonata) in those years have had.

Originally Posted by DONWATERS
It has under 13k miles, will be driven around town and infrequent highway driving. Mostly daily driver. In Central Florida.

Original equipment Hyundai filter and current 5W30 SN plus oil, of any major brand name.

Everyone will tell you to avoid aftermarket oil filters, but we've had quite a few HyunKia 1.6, 2.0 and 2.4 engines, run non oem filters in all of them without incident. Think manufacturers cleaned up their act and started making acceptable filters about five years ago, although I had a '13 Rio with aftermarket filters and no problems. If it does start making noises, the dealer will dump your oil and charge for a new oil change. Probably yell at you too, although not too loud or you can get 'em on Magnuson Moss violations.

Originally Posted by csandste
Everyone will tell you to avoid aftermarket oil filters, but we've had quite a few HyunKia 1.6, 2.0 and 2.4 engines, run non oem filters in all of them without incident. Think manufacturers cleaned up their act and started making acceptable filters about five years ago.

I run several aftermarket filters in my Kia V6 with no issues whatsoever but with this Theta engine, I'd run the OE. Could be that it makes no difference but given the history of bearing issues on this engine I'd want to be certain that I'm using the OE filter and changing it on time. I would do whatever I can to mitigate any flow/pressure issues and while using an OE filter doesn't guarantee you won't, it at least provides some peace of mind in that dept that you've done what you can to mitigate it.

Fwiw...
There was actually a complaint to the FTC I think it was, lodged against Kia by several aftermarket filter mfgs. In the complaint they contend that Kia isn't/wasn't forthcoming about certain spec's in re to flow and pressures and that some Kia engines are prone to pressure "spikes" (I'm working off memory so forgive me) and that could be bad for filters not capable of handling it. In support of their allegation, some of the companies involved in the complaint sent samples of OE Kia filters out for independent testing and it was found that they had (met) very high ratings. So the question by the aftermarket mfgs, why so high? I believe Kia contended it is what it is and there's no [nefarious] intent to hide anything (stop making subpar filters in other words), which sounds reasonable. So the crux of the allegation is that Kia knows something about their engines and how they perform, that they're not sharing with the aftermarket industry... and is using this "inside" knowledge to push consumers to use the OE filters. The complaint used a Kia TSB calling for OE filters in support of their allegation. But what mfg DOESN'T say, "use the approved oil filter" when a customer comes in complaining about engine noise? It's not reasonable to expect a dealership to promote using anything other than the OE filter.

So admittedly that's a pretty hefty claim on the part of the aftermarket mfgs and it could stem more from sour grapes by a few after having to pay out claims for their own defective filters (conjecture but who knows, right?).but it may be "something". I never kept up on what became of this allegation but I'm sure if you Google it you'll find more on the Net about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by csandste
Everyone will tell you to avoid aftermarket oil filters, but we've had quite a few HyunKia 1.6, 2.0 and 2.4 engines, run non oem filters in all of them without incident. Think manufacturers cleaned up their act and started making acceptable filters about five years ago.

I run several aftermarket filters in my Kia V6 with no issues whatsoever but with this Theta engine, I'd run the OE. Could be that it makes no difference but given the history of bearing issues on this engine I'd want to be certain that I'm using the OE filter and changing it on time. I would do whatever I can to mitigate any flow/pressure issues and while using an OE filter doesn't guarantee you won't, it at least provides some peace of mind in that dept that you've done what you can to mitigate it.

Fwiw...
There was actually a complaint to the FTC I think it was, lodged against Kia by several aftermarket filter mfgs. In the complaint they contend that Kia isn't/wasn't forthcoming about certain spec's in re to flow and pressures and that some Kia engines are prone to pressure "spikes" (I'm working off memory so forgive me) and that could be bad for filters not capable of handling it. In support of their allegation, some of the companies involved in the complaint sent samples of OE Kia filters out for independent testing and it was found that they had (met) very high ratings. So the question by the aftermarket mfgs, why so high? I believe Kia contended it is what it is and there's no [nefarious] intent to hide anything (stop making subpar filters in other words), which sounds reasonable. So the crux of the allegation is that Kia knows something about their engines and how they perform, that they're not sharing with the aftermarket industry... and is using this "inside" knowledge to push consumers to use the OE filters. The complaint used a Kia TSB calling for OE filters in support of their allegation. But what mfg DOESN'T say, "use the approved oil filter" when a customer comes in complaining about engine noise? It's not reasonable to expect a dealership to promote using anything other than the OE filter.

So admittedly that's a pretty hefty claim on the part of the aftermarket mfgs and it could stem more from sour grapes by a few after having to pay out claims for their own defective filters (conjecture but who knows, right?).but it may be "something". I never kept up on what became of this allegation but I'm sure if you Google it you'll find more on the Net about it.

You are right, Fram had to redesign and add some can thickness about 5 - 8 years ago because of cans leaking from over pressure. Every Fram (only use the Ultra in my opinion) can take Hyundai over pressure.

I would never run anything but 5-30 to 5w-40 in a Hyundai till Hyundai can make a motor that doesn't kill it's rod and main bearings. A 10 year old problem that has not gone away to this date. Lets hope they finally figured it out on the new Theta 3 engine. Knowing Hyundai, they did not.

Originally Posted by Mainia

You are right, Fram had to redesign and add some can thickness about 5 - 8 years ago because of cans leaking from over pressure. Every Fram (only use the Ultra in my opinion) can take Hyundai over pressure.

I would never run anything but 5-30 to 5w-40 in a Hyundai till Hyundai can make a motor that doesn't kill it's rod and main bearings. A 10 year old problem that has not gone away to this date. Lets hope they finally figured it out on the new Theta 3 engine. Knowing Hyundai, they did not.

+1

I couldn't recall which mfgs were involved in the complaint. The Lambda engines have proven to be one of Kia/Hyundai's most reliable engines. Bearing/rod issues are virtually non existent, at least not owing to mfg problems. But yeah, the 2.0 & 2.4L theta's are a different story. Seriously.. like you mentioned, I'd go with the thicker lube, OE filters and severe service..but that's just me... and keep your fingers crossed....

Last edited:
Hyundai Beta II engine. I used 5W30 Motorcraft SynBlend in my 2006 Tucson and either an OE filter of NAPA Gold 1334.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nitronoise
My Son just bought a 2013elantra with a 1.8 ltr engine.
So far QSUD 5W20 SYN AND A Bosch 3323 filter have fit the bill

How do you determine this?

Any good oil in the 5w-20 -30 should be fine for the OP. Might want to use the severe service interval?

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Original equipment Hyundai filter and current 5W30 SN plus oil, of any major brand name.

This ^^^^^

Also in agreement with this. I would feel extremely comfortable running 5w30 in Florida with seldom highway driving.

This has the 2.0/2.4L Theta2 engine, right? Hyundai said that the Tuscon Theta's were unaffected by the metal shavings/bearings problems in other models with the Theta2 but you'll find reports of Tuscon owners complaining about bearing/connecting rod issues. Might not ever effect you as not every Tuscon owner reports this problem but if it were me I'd use something thicker than the 5w20..at minimum a thicker oil film with a 5w30. Use the OE filters and change the oil severe service and just maybe you can avoid becoming a member of the failed Theta2 engine club.

Fwiw, Hyundai recalled nearly a million Theta2 engines between something like 2011 and 2015 but like I said, the Tuscon was not a part of the recall because they claimed those engines were made on a different production line and despite some record of engine failures, the Tuscon has largely avoided the the scale of problems other models (like the Sonata) in those years have had.

I thought it was established that "metal shavings" was not the true cause, as current Theta 2.4 engines are still experience failures. This is some 8 years after the initial affected 2.4's were produced. If shavings are really the cause, Hyundai/Kia should have taken care of that years ago. I am skeptical.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

This ^^^^^

Agree 100%

Originally Posted by gregk24

I thought it was established that "metal shavings" was not the true cause, as current Theta 2.4 engines are still experience failures. This is some 8 years after the initial affected 2.4's were produced. If shavings are really the cause, Hyundai/Kia should have taken care of that years ago. I am skeptical.

Sorry folks, the 2012 Tucson has the Beta II engine. So the Theta engine panic doesn't apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back