Ford Focus SE knocking sounds from bellhousing (6MT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pew

Hello ladies and gents,

Would anybody know if the 6 spd manual transmission on this engine (same as fiesta ST trans I think) has a peep-through hole where I can check the clutch assembly in the bell housing? I'm getting some nasty knocking sounds and I think I've narrowed it down to the clutch assembly. The noise seems louder up by the turbo but seeing as driveability was unaffected in my 1500 mile drive back home through the Colorado mountains, I don't think it's turbo related.

Symptoms: Really bad knocking sounds and the engine shakes like crazy but when I clutch-in the noise is gone. Once the RPMs go above 1000rpms, whether cruising or just pressing the gas while at a stop the sound goes away too. Drive-ability seems unaffected but I was in the middle of a roadtrip 1500 miles away from home before the noise started (drove the 1500 miles back without an issue.) Car is currently on stands and nothing looks broken from what I can see. I've had a similar knocking sound, but 10x quieter, since ~30,000 miles but I never thought anything of it since the car drove the same.

No modifications, car has 180,000 miles on it. I just got an oil change before the trip (~2000miles on oil + filter). Oil is still pretty clear and isn't milky.

Heres a link to the video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/AFQH9qnht6rW3DbV7

Originally Posted by ammolab
Engine shakes? Do you have a broken engine or transmission mount?

That was the first thing I looked for but they all look intact.

Looks like there's a pressure plate recall for my car. Looks like I'm in luck, I'll just bring it in and get a new clutch assembly and hopefully that solves my issue.

There is probably broken/worn or loose spring on the clutch disc or there are some worn/broken fingers on the pressure plate.

Which engine do you have? 1.0? The 2.0 NA only came with the MTX75 transmsision. Unless you have the ST 2.0T or 2.3 (1st generation US) , that is.

Either way, my old 2011 Focus 2.0 5 speed always had that rattle in the transmission. I was always told it was gear rollover noise, whatever that means. That's also the cause for the rattling in my ZF 5 speed 350 transmission when the engine is lugged down.

Edit, just watched the video. Could it be a problem with the dual mass flywheel?

While I don't have any vehicle specific knowledge, that sure sounds like a flywheel/clutch/pressure plate problem.

Typically when the clutch springs break, there is a buzzing sound upon a specific level of acceleration or deceleration. Along with a knock at idle when the clutch pedal is not depressed.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Which engine do you have? 1.0? The 2.0 NA only came with the MTX75 transmsision. Unless you have the ST 2.0T or 2.3 (1st generation US) , that is.

Yep it's the 1.0L with the 6spd manual.

Thanks for the replies guys. The video is exactly what the noise sounds like. I may have just dodged a hefty repair with the recall.

A really common issue with VW/Audi cars, the turbo engines can really tear them up in a hurry if driven with any enthusiasm, the only real fix is a single mass flywheel.

Originally Posted by Trav
A really common issue with VW/Audi cars, the turbo engines can really tear them up in a hurry if driven with any enthusiasm, the only real fix is a single mass flywheel.

That's good to know, I never knew something like that existed. All the clutch issues I've ran across were from broken throw out bearings or clutch forks.

Hi folks, an update:

So the dealer won't cover it under the recall because it passed the "clutch slip test" but they did say the flywheel, TOB, and the bolts are all damaged. They'll replace it all for the lovely price of $1020. I really don't have any other choice since the backup car I'm using has summer tires and I do NOT want to be driving that in this freezing weather (plus snow/ice.) I'll pay it at the dealer but should I contact Ford for a [censored] statement to see if they'll reimburse me, maybe part of the cost if not the whole thing? The description of the recall is down below. What else should I do? Can I ask the dealer for the damaged parts back in case Ford corporate wants to see them?

RECALL
CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE CRACKS
NHTSA Recall Number: 18V169 NHTSA Date:MAR 12, 2018 Ford Recall number: 18S07

Recall Description:CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE CRACKS

Risk to Safety:THIS MAY RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY, FLUID LEAKS, AND POSSIBLY A VEHICLE FIRE.

Remedy Program: FOCUS: FORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS AUTHORIZED YOUR DEALER TO REPROGRAM THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM), PERFORM A CLUTCH SLIPPAGE TEST, AND REPLACE THE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY IF NECESSARY. FREE OF CHARGE (PARTS AND LABOR). FUSION: FORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS AUTHORIZED YOUR DEALER TO REPLACE THE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY FREE OF CHARGE (PARTS AND LABOR).

Manufacturer Notes:TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

Search that recall number on NHTSA, theres some interesting reading in the documents.

I feel like I'd be on the phone to Ford and NHTSA... If it is under a recall for a defective pressure plate and they've determined it has a bad pressure plate it seems a bit irrelevant whether is passes a slip test or not...

On the other hand at 180,000 it might just be worn out In which case it seems like it would fail the slip test.

Very interesting result from the dealer. I have the same car (Focus 1.0 / 6M) and just assumed that recall was a new clutch assembly and new programming - no questions asked.

I'm at 85,000 miles and was just planning on waiting until past 100,000 miles, to get the most life out of this clutch I can. I doubt I'll ever "wear it out" though.

So they initially did the recall PCM reprogramming last Thursday but I knew that wasn't going to fix the issue so I had them look at it some more and that's when the service writer called me today about what happened and I think he said they'll replace the clutch assembly but the TOB, flywheel, and bolts are on me (which I think is BS.) I'll talk to him some more when I pick up my car, assuming tomorrow. Maybe ford was planning on the pressure plate issue not damaging the flywheel and I'm not sure why the TOB is not included in the clutch assembly parts but either way it's rare for me to hear about the clutch assembly breaking apart and not taking something else with it in the bell housing too.

Last edited:
I'm impressed that the 1.0t is capable of 180k+. It's strange that Ford stopped putting this engine in the Fiesta but kept using it in the heavier Focus?

Originally Posted by pbm
I'm impressed that the 1.0t is capable of 180k+. It's strange that Ford stopped putting this engine in the Fiesta but kept using it in the heavier Focus?

They put it in the new EcoSport too. As far as I know I have the highest mileage car with this engine in the US; 95% of the miles are highway miles though although a lot of it through the mountains. I haven't really had any issues other than water pump replacement around 30K miles under warranty and replacing the starter around 150K. OCIs every 5K and hasn't burned any noticeable amount of oil, yet. It's unfortunate that the pressure plate recall decided to mess up the rest of the clutch assembly that wasn't covered under warranty (and kinda BS to me.) I do recall the early european versions having various issues like head gaskets and water pumps, although that was fixed by MY2015s that came over.

Another update:

I finally got my car back from the dealership. The recall only covers a PCM reflash along with a new clutch assembly IF the clutch fails the "slip test". Now we know a clutch slipping can mean half a dozen things between a complete mechanical failure to burning up the friction material; so that's a pretty generic test. Well, they reprogrammed my PCM but didn't touch the clutch so I told them to look in the bell housing. So they dropped the trans and ended up replacing the clutch assembly, put it back together and the noise was still there. They had to re-drop the trans and replace the TOB and flywheel for an extra $1100 because they didn't get it right the first time. I guess a flywheel and TOB isn't part of the "clutch assembly" despite the fact that all those three tend to die together.

In addition to that, the tech didn't bleed the clutch so I had to leave it there another night.

But in the end, I'm happy I'm back in my car and not the back-up car with a loud exhaust (I leave for work at 5:30am) and summer tires in 30F temps. I think I'm still going to shoot Ford a message to see if they can reimburse me since they had to re-drop the transmission because they didn't actually listen to me.

Last edited:
That makes zero sense. If they made a mistake it would never be on the customers dime. They pulled a fast one on you. Make sure you get that money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back