Car for short, elderly person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by atikovi
Smart ForTwo or Fiat 500. Easy to get in and out of and to park. Electric versions too.

I really hope you're joking.

Have both and they are easy to drive and maneuver and don't take up much space. Excellent visibility all around.

some people get back issues from the subie, she needs to sit in it some 15 min or so when road testing.
google subuaru sciatia uncomfortable seats
lots of hits

Last edited:
Smart ForTwo or Fiat 500. Easy to get in and out of and to park. Electric versions too.

Yeah, like a Fit or Yaris or Versa or Fiesta

are pillars of reliabilty and grace.

I really wanted the latest Smart for2 Its legit.

when it became a turbo and stick.

Then they mucked it it up with power steering!
Morons.

Then they stopped selling them FAIK.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Char Baby
[Unrelated - I am surprised an '08 Focus has the DCT?] just saying!

They didn't; the 2008 autos were a 4-speed traditional auto. We didn't get the powershift until the 2012 Mk. 3 focuses

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

[Linked Image]

Every one of those cars you named except the Fiesta are more reliable than Fiat or Smart car. Why do you think they no longer sell those POS in the US? Lol

[Linked Image]

Every one of those cars you named except the Fiesta are more reliable than Fiat or Smart car. Why do you think they no longer sell those POS in the US? Lol

Stupid Americans would rather drive alone in Suburbans and full size pickups is why. They equate value by the pound. How soon they forget $4 or $5 a gallon gas. Other small cars were killed off too. Chevy Cruze, Ford Focus

Originally Posted by Kira
Don't Nissan Versas have a known, inferior CVT?

I think the Versa still soldiers on with a 4-speed automatic. I could be wrong. And since so many of them are rented or used as Ubers, the low resale is in your favor.

Originally Posted by NO2
Subaru Forester. They have excellent visibility with very large windows, and a short seat cushion which makes it comfortable for short drivers, and are reliable and reasonably priced. I would avoid versions without power seats. Also look at Toyota Sienna (good visibility, short seats) and Kia Soul.

My late mother in law chose one for this reason, we had sort of pressured her to go with a CR-V or Rav4 but she went the Forester route because of visibility.

Originally Posted by BBDartCA
Have an 72yo female family menber who is 4'10" and needs a new used car. We've checked out some of the list .found online for short driver cars but looking for other suggestions (a couple of the recommended models had very bad rear visibility). Budget is about $8k. Miles driven very low - couple trips to the store during the week. Almost always with the driver alone. Fuel economy therefore not a big deal. AWD would be nice but can pass on. Has an "08 Focus which actually has very poor seating position and vis for an econobox (also has the lemon dual clutch trans).

The two eading candidates are VW Golf / Jetta sportwagen and the latest Passat. The Passat is mid-size but has excellent visibility. Thanks.

I have the Sportwagen and love the size, maneuverability and greenhouse viz in all directions.
It is awd but I'd guess affordability might be an issue and number of candidate vehicles.
They might be getting older and high miles - Jetta , Passat. My wife will testify to the lower seating on my VW - it's a problem for her though. My mom is going through similar issues as well needing easier ingress/egress although their current Prius (an '05) is good. They just wonder what's next if they get something newer.

The lower ride and positioning you are searching for per ease of getting in and out will hamper road and traffic range of vision so 'greenhouse' seems important. Older Audi or Volvo wagons should be good that way- or sedan if she won't need the cargo room or suv type layout ? Those may come as awd.

Subaru's go the other way in my experience- good viz but higher road clearance and seating would probably make them problematic for a shorter person already experiencing concern.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Originally Posted by NO2
Subaru Forester. They have excellent visibility with very large windows, and a short seat cushion which makes it comfortable for short drivers, and are reliable and reasonably priced. I would avoid versions without power seats. Also look at Toyota Sienna (good visibility, short seats) and Kia Soul.

My late mother in law chose one for this reason, we had sort of pressured her to go with a CR-V or Rav4 but she went the Forester route because of visibility.

We have two Foresters in the family now and they are OK for her. A good choice. But we live in the Northwest and the used pricing is pretty [censored] high for what you get due to popularity.

Originally Posted by bachman

Subaru's go the other way in my experience- good viz but higher road clearance and seating would probably make them problematic for a shorter person already experiencing concern.

Someone I know with a hip replacement chose to keep her old Chrysler Town and Country for that reason - it was hard for her to enter/exit from an Outback she wanted to get.

They're not the "Stupid Americans". They can just afford something bigger, safer and more reliable. There are still plenty of small cars being sold in the US by Toyota and Honda-quality manufacturers.

It's no secret the quality problems with the Smart cars and Fiat.

[Linked Image]

Wrong I had a fit, hurt the the engine and transaxle, Had a Versa Note blew the engine in 2 months.

Had a Yaris, trashed a wheel bearing the first month, VVT went goodbye in 2 years.

But I agree, French buil cars are suspect Especially - The Renault Alliance.

My Yugo was one of the strongest most reliable cars I owned out of over 70 cars.

Yes I'm old!

Last edited:
An elderly widow (around 82) I know recently leased a Ford Ecosport. I know, a mediocre vehicle by most measures, but she loves it. Easy to get in and out of, good visibility, and compact so it is easy for her to drive and park without hitting anything. Long-term reliability unknown but of course it will be under warranty for the lease period. (Not to mention that the definition of "long-term" concerns becomes very different as one gets older.)

Originally Posted by Kira
Don't Nissan Versas have a known, inferior CVT?

A friend's daughter has the "non-Note" version but asking her would be fruitless (unless it blew up..and even then) because she's among the least mechanically sentient beings on the planet.

This is long but here goes.

Recently, the Versa NOTE had(HAD) placed above the Honda FIT in Consumer Reports reliability data. Now, the NOTE has dropped in the standing. The Toyota Yaris iA(a.k.a. Mazda2) was once the best in segment according to CRs reliability ratings and it too has dropped, placing the FIT again at the top.

I have driven all of the sub compact hatchbacks & sedans recently and I place the NOTE on top for everdayness. And although there are some decent sub compacts(ONLY DECENT, NOT GREAT), the category isn't for everyone.

The NOTE IMO is just a nice little car to drive, park, room for passengers and travel in locally or even some hiwy travel in in its segment(key word, SEGMENT) . It's quiet, smooth, nice riding(take bumps nicely in its class), and easy to see out of(for the most part). The NOTE also has very wide door openings for ingress/egress. Not that others don't, it's just worth a mention.

It doesn't have anymore idiosyncrasies than any other SUBCOMPACT car, maybe just different ones. They all have their little issues with comfort, reliability, view outward etc. The NOTE isn't fast but, offers decent pull out into traffic punch.

The NOTE is actually a perfect car for the elderly. Easily to get in & out of and reasonably easy to see out of. Keep in mind that you have to rubberneck it a little bit in all small cars today. Some better/some worst, it's just the way it is!

I had my 90 yr old in-laws in the NOTE when I rented one in FL for 10 days and they had no complaints. In fact, they were impressed with its room & comfort for such a little car. And the engine power had no trouble moving it along.

I am actually more of a HONDA guy than anything else. And, I can't answer for someone else's reliability with the NOTE. And YES, Nissan CVT trannys are known for being very trouble prone. But my personal experience with NISSANs of late(since their reliability has tanked), is that, my American built NISSANs have been more reliable than my Japanese built Honda, Toyota, Lexus & Mazda in a 10-11 year period of ownership. None were disasters mind you, just not where they should have been considering their reputation & statistics.

Last edited:
My 5' 2" 78 yr old mother loves her '18 Kia Soul.
Easy to get in and out of with her hip problems, good visibility overall. easy to drive and park.

Gets good mileage overall (not that it is a concern for you), but is not AWD.
The Scion xB is a similar sized vehicle (mom has no issue getting in and out of ours).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back