Old SG/CD Mopar Vintage oil useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a case of this ancient stuff at Goodwill for 50 cents/quart. API says it went obolete in 1994. Is this a decent "flat tappet" lube for old muscle car engines? I'd use it in my garden equipment but they are all proper 2-strokes. Thanks

[Linked Image]

It would be good in something older-but I don't know that I would go further than 3000 miles on it. Usually, old stuff like this gets fed to the F-450 IDI, about 1 quart per 10-15 gallons.

Was your case 6 or 12 quarts?
As oldhp said above: Go ebay and contact every MOPAR related club you can think of.
Using it is smarter because you'll eliminate the chance of leakage during shipment.

Don't forget to shake it up before you pour it in
crackmeup2.gif

Like oldhp said, I'd but it on ebay and hope an old Mopar fanatic comes along and offers you more than what you paid for it plus shipping.

HELLO! I AM A COLLECTOR OF OLD OIL BOTTLES LOCATED IN MURRYSVILLE;PA i WOULD BUY THE 6 QT. BOTTLEAS FROM YOU I WOULD PAY YOU $ 10 PER BOTTLE EMPTY OR FULL! I hope you are intersted, as I said I would also take them empty! Please contact me and I hope we can fix a deal! Bet regards Franz

You wouldn´t Need to go to eBay, I would buy them from you empty for my Collection, I have also sent you a private message ´bout that, please come back to me!

I'm not sure there is a market for these. A guy here had a couple quarts of the same on Craig's for many months and never sold. $2 a bottle. I'll just give it to a buddy.

It would be good to use in a Honda manual transmission, and of course any engine made before the mid-90s

I agree with the poster who said to get a VOA done
banana2.gif

I'm not sure why someone would use it in an older engine, it was recommended at that time only because there was nothing better.

Oil has come a long ways in 30 years.

Sell them to me for $10 I ´ll even take them empty and they will get a good place in my Collection, I do have 2 old Goodwrench 10w30 bottles in my Collection and These mopar ones will be a great Addition!

I dont think anyone is suggesting that the OP's oil would be better than current, were just saying that it would be fine to use in an engine of the same vintage or older.

As far as it having higher ZDDP, I doubt it's any higher than 1200 zinc, 1100 phosphorus. If one wanted a dedicated high zinc oil, I'd suggest vr1 or similar.

If I had this oil in my possession, I'd probably use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back