Great Slave Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty interesting reading about the Lake. Pretty big too. I never watched ice lake rebels. Anyone live near the lake or ever visit it?

Happy Thursday
smile.gif

Yes I spent a few days in Yellowknife, which is on Great Slave Lake.

While we were there we hiked out to a cabin over almost barren rock. Our friend from Yellowknife carried bear spray and bear bangers. Definitely an interesting place.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I've been to Yellowknife on the north shore a few times. If you want to talk about using 0w oil, this is the place to do it.
smile.gif

LoL. My late Canadian uncle worked at Yellowknife for years, some sort of government economic adviser. I never got there while he was there, but did visit there later - in the summertime. Very interesting place.

I recall that the unpaved gravel roads were at least as smooth and well maintained as the paved highways down here. We learned the trick of pushing your thumb on the windshield when approaching a large truck. Somehow the pressure from your thumb on the inside of the windshield kept flying pieces of gravel from chipping the windshield when they hit it. Not sure of the physics behind it but it sure seemed to work.

There are plenty of fly-in fish camps along the lake. You fly in by jet to Yellowknife, then a float plane to one of the camps. Also, there is a commercial barging business based out of Hay River on the south shore where you can barge goods and equipment during the summer months on the Mackenzie River which drains Great Slave Lake. You can get as far as the Beaufort Sea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Langanobob
I recall that the unpaved gravel roads were at least as smooth and well maintained as the paved highways down here. We learned the trick of pushing your thumb on the windshield when approaching a large truck. Somehow the pressure from your thumb on the inside of the windshield kept flying pieces of gravel from chipping the windshield when they hit it. Not sure of the physics behind it but it sure seemed to work.

Sounds like an urban myth to me. I grew up in an area that had gravel highways until the early 1960s. The secondary roads are still gravel. Only occasionally does an approaching vehicle throw a stone that chips or stars a windshield. So pushing your thumb on the windshield gives you something to do while awaiting the crash that usually doesn't come anyway.

Our neighbour had a great plan to slow down approaching vehicles. He drove VW Beetles before they were cool. And no-one slowed down for an approaching Beetle. So he drove down the center of the road - seemingly unaware of the oncoming traffic until the very last second. That slowed them down!

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Check out Ice Road Truckers, which ran from 2007 to 2017. The videos are available from Amazon and Amazon Prime. You gotta be bold to drive a semi over the ice.

The original episode on Modern Marvels is really compelling, and came years before the reality show. It's one of my favorites.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
Originally Posted by Langanobob

Sounds like an urban myth to me. I grew up in an area that had gravel highways until the early 1960s. The secondary roads are still gravel. Only occasionally does an approaching vehicle throw a stone that chips or stars a windshield. So pushing your thumb on the windshield gives you something to do while awaiting the crash that usually doesn't come anyway.

My father does this. To my mind, it reduces vibrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back