Recommended Oil For 2019 Mazda CX-5 2.5L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an FYI for you:

The Mazda PY8W-14-302 filter (made by Tokyo Roki in Japan) has been recently superseded by 1WPY-14-302 (made in Thailand) for the 2.5 Turbo applications.

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
I have decided upon Castrol Edge 5W-30 with a Mazda factory oil filter, part # PY8W-14-302 in my 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L Turbo. I make a lot of short trips so am doing 5000 mile OCI's.

Castrol advertises that oil as being formulated for GDI turbo engines and it is rated SN Plus and is DEXOS Gen 2 approved. I can do a DIY oil & filter and crush washer change for around $35 which seems very reasonable for maintenance costs using a full synthetic oil.

Originally Posted by drtyler
As an FYI for you:

The Mazda PY8W-14-302 filter (made by Tokyo Roki in Japan) has been recently superseded by 1WPY-14-302 (made in Thailand) for the 2.5 Turbo applications.

I have decided upon Castrol Edge 5W-30 with a Mazda factory oil filter, part # PY8W-14-302 in my 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L Turbo. I make a lot of short trips so am doing 5000 mile OCI's.

Castrol advertises that oil as being formulated for GDI turbo engines and it is rated SN Plus and is DEXOS Gen 2 approved. I can do a DIY oil & filter and crush washer change for around $35 which seems very reasonable for maintenance costs using a full synthetic oil.

Would you happen to know from around when they started phasing in this change? I'm wondering what are the chances if I order a large pack of filters from MedCenter (PN explicitly shown as PY8W), that I'll be getting the Japan filters rather than the 1WPY Thailand filters?

It was fairly recent but I do not know the date. Bought some from my dealer a week or so ago and they told me about it and showed on the screen that 1WPY was the new part number when PY8W was entered.

The new filters are not labeled Roki, but Mazda only, They appear to be fine though.

Originally Posted by manfurismojive
Ah thanks. Can I ask how much you got the filters for at your dealer?

Yes that and did you cut one to compare against the old ones?

This is what I have heard as well. The Japan made Roki filters are for the JDM market. The Thailand filters are for overseas markets.

The Thai made filters are well constructed. I wouldn't worry about them.

Ah thanks. Can I ask how much you got the filters for at your dealer?

List price is $8.50 each and they usually charge $6.80 (20% off list) if buying 3 or more. No real steal, but there is no doubt that it is the correct filter.

Originally Posted by drtyler
As an FYI for you:

Would you happen to know from around when they started phasing in this change? I'm wondering what are the chances if I order a large pack of filters from MedCenter (PN explicitly shown as PY8W), that I'll be getting the Japan filters rather than the 1WPY Thailand filters?

The Thai filters are just fine and probably made by the same company. Don't worry about it. After all, oil filters are made by machines, and a machine in Bangkok performs just as well as one in Hiroshima.

Hm could've sworn I saw the Rotella gas truck rebate include purchases from Walmart and Amazon a couple weeks back -- especially since I saw the Pennzoil rebates currently don't include either store. I decided to wait on purchasing and now I don't see them listed anymore
frown.gif
So far all of these oil rebates list places I've never heard of or are quite far from me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tundraotto
I will repeat the stated bypass of the wix 57002 filter that is supposedly made to the mazda spec of no ADBV and 22PSI bypass. I am not looking to spend any big lengths of time - if any - on bypass, so am not worried about it. I will also stick in the 5W-30 like the rest of the world and take my chances with that as well.
smile.gif

The wix website lists the 57002 to have a bypass of 11-14 psi.

https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Exactmatch.aspx?PartNo=57002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back