Best Silicone Type for Caliper Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by diyjake
I know 3M is highly recommended, how does it hold up on caliper pins? The heat doesn't affect it?

That is what I have been trying to ask. But seems like the majority is now advocating to use silicone. Silicone flash point is 400+F depending on brand.

Mission Automotive seems to have a higher flash point 500+F. But I already bought the 3M silicone and Napa Sil Glyde.

Between those two choices, I'd use 3M Silicone on my caliper pins. Silicone is safe around rubber and the 3M is what they use at local Lexus shop.

What is use is the Pink Toyota for my pins. Their white grease on the ears and their black moly on the shims. I use 3 different greases.

After removing and cleaning the caliper guide pins I use Napa Sil Glyde. On the caliper and pad contact points and slides I use a small amount of Permatex Never Seize Silver. No issues until pads or rotors are worn to replacement. John

Originally Posted by Gebo
Between those two choices, I'd use 3M Silicone on my caliper pins. Silicone is safe around rubber and the 3M is what they use at local Lexus shop.

What is use is the Pink Toyota for my pins. Their white grease on the ears and their black moly on the shims. I use 3 different greases.

I have noticed that some of the newest Toyota's (both were 2016) did not have anything on the shims from the factory. Zero.

My 2011 Prius came with the sticky white grease on the pad shims.

Both of these observations contradict what the service information states.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by Imp4
Whatever the product, do a reasonable preventative maintenance schedule and just about any major brand of product will work fine.

Its not quite that clear cut, some products arent compatible I had major issues using the little packets of permatex brake lube. They would swell the rubber on the caliper pins and cause sticking.

C'mon man, that's just disingenuous.
People use that product all the time with satisfactory results.

The fact that you used the permatex packet and experienced swollen caliper boots does not mean the permatex caused the problem. You and I each could come up with 7 additional contributing factors that may have resulted in that condition.

not swollen caliper boots.. the rubber on the caliper guide pin swelled up and caused sticking.. also seems to dry out more than sil-glyde.

Sil-glyde after 2+ years was lightly discolored yellowish.. still great..
permatex packet after 2-3 years mostly dried .. needed cleaned up and fresh applied badly.

Commenting on why I dont use those packets anymore and switched to sil-glyde.
no need to break out the large incorrectly used adjectives or take offense.

If it works for you great. I didnt like it.. I am interested in others but I do brakes about every 2 years.. still have 3/4 tube of sil-glyde I'm throwing out because its 8 years old.. and the cap broke. Also the fleet is now newer I only do brakes on 1 car instead of 3.

I might consider https://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-DBL-2T-Brake-Lube-Brush/dp/B0015RCGRM when I need to buy but that is aprox 3 lifetimes worth for me.

^ But it may still be good 3 lifetimes from now.
wink.gif

Silicone brake lube has more applications than just slide pins. It's also a good lube for most things besides metal on metal, and a good rubber preservative. It's also good to use instead of anti-seize for the wheel to hub interface to keep them from rusting together, and especially for urethane suspension bushings/etc. to stop squeaking.

Last edited:
I have acquired a bottle of Permatex 24125 (purple stuff) on my recent visit to the USA (yes this is what I do on holiday) as it's not available locally here in the UK.

I got it based on Eric O's recommendation on South Main Auto Repair on YouTube, he swears he doesn't get come backs for brake noise or seized sliders. He deals with NY climate and salt so I suppose it's good enough for the UK.

I've had to replace all my caliper rubbers because they swelled up after using a locally supplied ceramic brake grease so I am excited to use the American stuff - smells good too!

Sil-Glyde is mostly polypropylene glycol grease with (likely) some silicone oil in it. The 3M silicone paste is 60-100% silicone as per SDS, so it is actually a "silicone grease"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back